Yes, they really need to redo the Queen Street frontage. That part of NPS is terrible, so they might as well make it a public square type area and get rid of the neglected grass.

It's more than neglected, thousands of people walk on it so it never has a chance. In the winter it's a mud pit every time the temperature rises above 0.

What is the point of that raised concrete walkway all around the property? I think it's just horrible.

You just stepped in it MatthewK, hold onto something :)

To take a bit of heat off of the inappropriateness, Tulse could've meant for secret service officials who need a vantage point to protect foreign dignitaries. Or Ford for that matter, considering the general public's growing disdain for him.

Oh gosh, you're absolutely right, Tewder -- I hadn't connected that to the current events (I was intending simply to echo my comments from a few months ago when this question was first raised).

My deep apologies to all here for my unintentional gaffe.

Oh gosh, you're absolutely right, Tewder -- I hadn't connected that to the current events (I was intending simply to echo my comments from a few months ago when this question was first raised).

My deep apologies to all here for my unintentional gaffe.

Don't worry, I've got you covered.

Are the concrete slabs on the ground being replaced too? I can't remember....

No. Though they should. It's the bare monotone expanse of grey that I think plagues the square.

There are two shapes of slabs. The large square ones and the narrow rectangular ones that separate the squares from each other. I'd like to see a darker shade slab replacing those rectangles. That's it. It would give a texture and pattern to the square and break up the monotony.

If they really wanted to get creative, they could leave a 1inch slice down the middle of these new darker slabs and by placing lights below the square (plenty of room), the square would literally shine at night.

In construction news, the skating pavilion is essentially finished. They took down the hoarding, the lighting on the building is on (really nice actually!) and all that is left to do -- on the outside anyway -- are the balcony walls on the roof.

Construction of the stage is now underway with an excavator and pile driver on site.

Also, I saw a bunch of trees at the NW corner of the square that are tied up with some intricate rigs. At closer inspection, I noticed that all the trees that were rigged are dried up and leafless. I believe that these were transplanted from the Peace Garden. Good thing, those trees were blessed by Pope John Paul and were quite mature. Hopefully they make it!

Back