News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Like it or not Canada will always be little brother to the USA. Just as New Zealand is to Australia, or Austria is to Germany.

Like it or not Canada will always be little brother to the USA. Just as New Zealand is to Australia, or Austria is to Germany.

kind of but there is a difference.

Canada is considerably bigger than New Zealand or Austria. It is actually more than twice the size of them combined. Canada is blessed with vast land, abundant natural resources including water. It also has a diversified economy with a strong financial, manufacturing and energy sector. It means its size allows it to have more room to act more independently, rather than heavily relying on a bigger neighbour. Canada has both coast with easy access to both West Europe and Asia-Pacific. Compared with relatively isolated Australia, Canada is in a more better position.

The mistake it has made is apparently, everything has been about US, US and US. Remember the 2008 crisis which has not ended yet? Although Canada has a much healthier economy and financial system, it was dragged down by the US, because when the Americans stop buying, Canadians can't sell! Factories need to be closed and people need to be laid off. This is ridiculous. The fact that Canada is exporting 100% of its oil/gas to the US is beyond my comprehension. Everyone knows diversification, why not Canada?? Australia is one of the strongest performers among rich countries because it is increasingly tighter link to faster growing East Asia, particularly China.

The nation should, and it is really time to, shift away from all these US-centric policies. The US is a declining power, at least relatively, and why does Canada need to tie its own fate with it? I am not saying we should cease trading with the US, fact is US will continue to be the most important trading partner, maybe for as long as these two countries exist, but start to diversify is the way to go. The world as one know it is less and less about the USA and it provides a good opportunity for us. Starting selling resources to China, India, where the demand grows double digits.

The world we live entered a new stage sometime around 2002. Energy and resources are becoming increasingly important, and their price will only go in only direction. If the Chinese and Indians each consume the same amount of resource as Canadians do, the world's oil and natural gas will be depleted within a few decades, but now it is only a fraction. This means potential, huge market for Canada to tap. The Harper government seems inclined to make the shift, and i am only surprised it hasn't happened 10 years earlier.

And it is not only about energy. Back to tourism, if you go to Paris, London, Rome, or even NYC, and take a look those expensive stores. They are full of the Asian new rich. They have the money and they want to show their wealth. Louis Vuitton's flagship store in Paris has to impose a quota for its customers to purchase its expensive bags. They are making more overseas travels with increasing purchasing power, something unimaginable 20 years ago. China is still poor in general, but even if only 5% of its population are wealthy, that's like the entire population of Canada. The South Koreans are already rich and they are adapting to a consumer society as well.

GM/Ford etc are morbidly sick in the past decade, but their sales grew exponentially in Asian, particularly Chinese market. If not for the Chinese market, these big companies couldn't survive, or least couldn't have grown. Literally hundreds of people line up entire night to buy Iphone/ipads so that the stores are worried about safety and had to postpone sales. Yet what is Canada selling to China? hardly anything we know of. It is sad. Such a waste of opportunity.

Don't want to digress too much. Some people say I am always too harsh/defeatist on Canada, actually I am quite optimistic because i see its untapped potential. As long as it keeps an open mind, which it hasn't, and promote business overseas actively without trying to sell its own ideologies/values, like the US does, I believe it will be in a very competitive position for the next few decades.

While helping to organize a convention in Toronto for a US-based volunteer organization, I was gobsmacked by how unwilling many of our US members are to travel outside of the United States. We have gone as far as to include US passport application forms with our convention literature, all to very little effect. We have been met with fear, obstinance and ridicule for hosting a convention in a "foreign country" to the extent that we really worried that we can make it work.

At the same time, working downtown, I'm constantly meeting vacationers from Germany, France, England - not to mention far-off South America. The rest of the world is using their 5 or 6 weeks of vacation, while our neighbours to the south are closing the gates and not using their 2 weeks. It should be self-evident where our tourist ad dollars should be directed. They should be directed at countries where the culture embraces exploring and enjoying the world. And, I simply don't see that culture in almost all of the Americans that I have to deal with. Should we give up on Americans? Of course, not. But let's start plowing real money into fostering travel from parts of the world with a newly emerging middle class, like China and the South American countries.

Last edited:
Australia has its advantage: weather. Both Sydney and Melbourne have fantastic weather. None of Canadian cities has that. The fact that Vancouver winter is considered "warm" sounds almost funny outside Canada.

Countless ski resorts in the Rockies attract many tourists. Quebec City certainly has no trouble attracting flocks of tourists from around the world for the Carnaval de Quebec, the ice hotel, and the sugar shacks in late winter. Nor did the city of Harbin, China throw-up its hands in defeat because they have winters that are much colder than what you'd experience in Toronto - instead they have something called the Ice Festival

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbin_International_Ice_and_Snow_Sculpture_Festival

Personally I think the City should pressure the Federal Government to make something spectacular out of Downsview Park. Similarly when Parks Canada assumes control of Rouge Park in a few years the bar should be set very high.

While helping to organize a convention in Toronto for a US-based volunteer organization, I was gobsmacked by how unwilling many of our US members are to travel outside of the United States. We have gone as far as to include US passport application forms with our convention literature, all to very little effect. We have been met with fear, obstinance and ridicule for hosting a convention in a "foreign country" to the extent that we really worried that we can make it work.

At the same time, working downtown, I'm constantly meeting vacationers from Germany, France, England - not to mention far-off South America. The rest of the world is using their 5 or 6 weeks of vacation, while our neighbours to the south are closing the gates and not using their 2 weeks. It should be self-evident where our tourist ad dollars should be directed. They should be directed at countries where the culture embraces exploring and enjoying the world. And, I simply don't see that culture in almost all of the Americans that I have to deal with. Should we give up on Americans? Of course, not. But let's start plowing real money into fostering travel from parts of the world with a newly emerging middle class, like China and the South American countries.

totally agree with u.
Coincidentally an American friend of a friend of mine is coming to Toronto for a visit this weekend. He is somewhere between 35 and 40, and has never stepped out of his own country. Many Americans believe there is no reason to go to other countries since America offers plenty. This reminds me someone from a popular TV show who hasn't left Manhattan for 10 years because he thinks the island has everything he needs.

Canada is frustratingly stuck with this "Everything is about the US" syndrome, even when it makes no sense. Sometimes I want to yell to them, there are other countries out there! You don't have to sell everything to the Americans!

totally agree with u.
Coincidentally an American friend of a friend of mine is coming to Toronto for a visit this weekend. He is somewhere between 35 and 40, and has never stepped out of his own country. Many Americans believe there is no reason to go to other countries since America offers plenty. This reminds me someone from a popular TV show who hasn't left Manhattan for 10 years because he thinks the island has everything he needs.

Canada is frustratingly stuck with this "Everything is about the US" syndrome, even when it makes no sense. Sometimes I want to yell to them, there are other countries out there! You don't have to sell everything to the Americans!

Improve the transit system, and toll the expressways to reduce traffic congestion. Toronto has notorious traffic problems which I think results in its (deserved) bad reputation. Also there is a perception of crime problems (although Toronto's crime rate actually low by Canadian standards), the government needs to adequately fund social housing and take serious measures to improve notorious neighbourhoods like Regent Park, Keele & Eglinton, Jane & Finch and Rexdale.

Improve the transit system, and toll the expressways to reduce traffic congestion. Toronto has notorious traffic problems which I think results in its (deserved) bad reputation. Also there is a perception of crime problems (although Toronto's crime rate actually low by Canadian standards), the government needs to adequately fund social housing and take serious measures to improve notorious neighbourhoods like Regent Park, Keele & Eglinton, Jane & Finch and Rexdale.

Toronto's crime rate is low in general. One of the safest major cities in North America.

Toronto's crime rate is low in general. One of the safest major cities in North America.

Yes, but many out of towners perceive Toronto's crime rate as high. Toronto may have a low crime rate but it has several very concentrated areas of poverty/crime.

A remote place for everyone in the world? For Asian countries such as China, it is actually a lot closer to fly to Austria than North America, especially east coast.

Hong Kong to Sydney - 9 hours, to Toronto 15 hours, to Vancouver 13 hours.
Shanghai to Sydney - 10.5 hours, Toronto - 14.5 hours

You should know by now that the world is not just about North America and Europe, at least not any more.

Well thanks for making my point. If the closest source of tourists is 9+ hours away, you're looking at long haul travellers who 1. spend more and 2. stay longer.
Here's the 2011 top 10 visitors to Australia (in 000's)
NZ 1165
UK 628
China 528
US 454
Japan 394
Singapore 318
Malaysia 242
Korea 199
Hong Kong 161
Germany 155

Pretty easy to see that when the vast majority of your visitors have to travel 9+ hours to get to their destination, you're again looking at a recipe for high expenditures.

And actually, China and Japan combined don't spend as much as Germany in terms of outbound tourism expenditure. So tourism worldwide is driven heavily by NA and Europe.
Top 10 in 2009 (in billions $ spent)
Germany 80.8
US 73.1
UK 48.5
China 43.7
France 38.9
Italy 27.8
Japan 25.1
Canada 24.3
Russia 20.8
Netherlands 20.7

Last edited:
Looks like many many many more Europeans go to Australia than to Canada. Look at the German and English numbers. I didn't know Australia was this popular with tourists. Wow!!!!!

Kkgg7 makes some good points about the need for diversification and the need for Canada to be less lazily reliant on the fickleness of the U.S. market.

What's funny though is that he makes a lot of claims about "people in Asia won't choose Canada/Toronto over the US/big US City" when we're actually seeing a lot of growth in the number of people from those markets (and Brazil) coming to Canada. It seems to me people from these areas are choosing Canada in record numbers.

2010 Visitors to Canada by country of origin
Country, Vistiors in 000's, % compared to '09, spending in $B, compared to '09
Brazil 71 25.5% 0.1 32.2%
China 193.3 21.2% 0.3 21.5%
South Korea 157.5 20.0% 0.3 18.1%
Japan 215.4 19.5% 0.3 21.9%
India 149.9 16.6% 0.1 18.8%
Germany 315.4 8.1% 0.5 5.8%
Australia 202.2 7.5% 0.3 9.3%
France 408.1 5.1% 0.5 1.6%
USA 10,008 0.9% 4.8 2.8%
United Kingdom 659 -3.8% 0.8 -9.5%
Mexico 116 -28.1% 0.2 -31.7%

Last edited:
How to revive Toronto tourism? Easy, spend money on places like Ontario Place. Make it great again.

Back