Nope ...

Residential condo buildings hardly ever get redeveloped ! Think about it, has it even happened ? I've seen cases where houses are bought (that's pretty rare as well but occurs).

Most residential condo buildings are too new to be the subjects of redevelopment at this point in time. There are exceptions however, like the Regent Park redevelopment, where most of its residential towers have been/will be razed, except for one which will be preserved for heritage purposes. There is also a lot of discussion happening surrounding the future of many of the early concrete residential towers and how to re-purpose or revitalize them now that the window systems and cladding are reaching the end of their life span.

I think Taal is correct in stating that residential condo buildings hardly ever get redeveloped. I'm open to being corrected, but I can't think of a single condo building in Toronto that has been redeveloped. I have heard of a case in Vancouver, although generally it is hard to accomplish due to the vertically stratified ownership structure of these buildings.

Yep I was strictly referring too residential condo buildings. It could be a matter of age yes.

7357858192_ca14eeca6c_b.jpg

There are roughly 500 condo corps registered before 1980 and several of these are in so devalued by their deplorable condition that outright sale of the entire building is a consideration.

http://www.jjb.com/client/JJB/JJB_LP4W_LND_WebStation.nsf/resources/4645+Jane+Street/$file/4645+Jane+Street_web.pdf

New rules introduced have set a minimum state of repair as well as management's ability to maintain a minimum state of repair however, who knows 50 years down the road.

I hope they designed enough redundancy into those ground level columns. They are precariously aligned with the trajectory of Front St. traffic in the above photo. (mostly joking - esp when you consider that a range rover was torn clear in half by a concrete hydro pole in the road racing incident on Mt. Pleasant, not to mention that such an accident is extremely unlikely).

New rules introduced have set a minimum state of repair as well as management's ability to maintain a minimum state of repair however, who knows 50 years down the road.

The new rules in the Condo Act require that buildings build up and hold sizeable capital reserve funds so that the state of repair never becomes dire. Theoretically it should be impossible for buildings not already in trouble to get into the state that some badly managed condos did before the rules were changed.

What a great looking building!

Missed out on purchasing a north-west facing unit on a higher floor...so congrats to those who did. You will have an awesome view of the City over 51 Division. And super safe, too haha :p

Walked by today and the black glazing on the ground floor looks amazing. Anyone know what's going in there? I pray to God its not a car dealership!!!!!

Great looking building, a bit disappointed that the curve got pressed flat in the centre.

Every time I walk by I can't help but to think that this building looks more commercial than residential. It is a great addition to that section of front/ eastern aesthetically but am not convinced that units that occupy the curved south portion with no balconies and lack of floor to ceiling windows will be that appealing vs. those on the north west which seem very pleasant.

Considering that its most obvious precedent is a department store it's not surprising that Trinity Lofts doesn't evoke the greatest sense of homeyness.

7646707614_53c9b390be.jpg

Schocken Department Store, Chemnitz. Erich Mendelsohn

Below is my choice for most obvious precedent; an office tower in NYC.

The design seems to be a mini version of and homage to New York's 34 floor 'Lipstick' building, a.k.a. 53rd at Third.

LipstickBldg.jpg

While the Lipstick Building was designed by John Burgee and Philip Johnston, Streetcar's Trinity Lofts are by Giannone Petricone who have done such beautiful work for Fram in Port Credit amongst other projects.

Green roof atop Trinity Lofts Building?

BEFORE picture taken on August 6, 2012:
IMG_4572.jpg

AFTER picture taken August 11, 2012):

IMG_4603.jpg

IMG_4606.jpg

IMG_4608.jpg

IMG_4605.jpg

Back