4 March 2012: Peek-a-boo I see U !

016mo.jpg

So I take it by that you mean more gray cranes, which have all the colours in them?

No, I was quoting the famous Urban Toronto colloquial expression, where buildings of the hot pink Umbra store ilk, or the checkered blue gingham J Cloth On Elm Street sort are automatically elevated and deemed architecture-with-a-bullet by virtue of their epic! chromatic intensity alone. Being a transitory structure, the red and yellow crane at U is so jolly precisely because it has a short life expectancy, and we know that it will soon die and be borne away never to return, and be replaced by lovely aA point towers that won't scream at us in hot pink or be gingham-patterned J Cloth coloured from head to toe, or be construction crane red and yellow for all eternity.

Instead we will get consistency....in more clone towers that unless you stare at them for hours to try to find something of interest, will be grey and uninteresting. Wow, people must have fascinating lives. I, on the other hand, have a basic 9-5 and a modest lifestyle, so I live for the odd bit of colour on the skyline.

When I want more colour I throw on my luau shirt. More cranes- yay! ..just wanted to get my posts to an even 1000 ;)

Something perhaps we all could agree on: we could do a better job planting more trees/greenery along our streets. We do need colour to brighten up our long grey winters. I'd prefer that meant we broadened our building colour palette, but maybe we can start with foliage.

When it comes to all things skyline-related, I think we reserve a special colour palette to celebrate transitory things that are about process rather than about finished product. The only other "bright" objects, apart from the crane, in greenleaf's photos, are bright blue temporary structures at the construction site. Yellow hardhats are another that comes to mind, and those bright coloured marks that public utilities spraypaint on sidewalks and roads to indicate where hydro, gas and water lines are buried prior to digging, and the bright orange dots that the city spraypaints on old or decaying trees to mark them for felling.

remember when there was that orange wall at bay& grovsner! i walked by that on the night they put it up and got orange all down one side of my coat :S. but it looked cool

Back