Today:
IMG_6450 - Copy.jpg

It's one of those buildings where all the good stuff is inside.

You've just described almost every older building at the University of Waterloo (except Dana Porter library). 😅

Meanwhile for the Myhal Centre, I actually don't mind the first 7 storeys or so in the sense of institutional buildings. But boy is that top level unflattering in terms of appearance.

That all said, I've always had a fondness for the toaster building (Davis Centre?). Light, airy and silver...and feels more atrium than anything else. I digress...

...the problem I've always found with UW, is that it feels like some child dumped all the belongings out of their toy box on a floor and left it all to sit around without a care. As none of the buildings have any real design consistency with each other...making it feel rather disconnected from an aesthetic point of view.

But I'd rather take that, than the conservative designs of many the UT buildings. Which are oft nothing to write home about...including this building, save for the regal heritage structures. That is, I find them dull and forgetful for the most part with a couple of exceptions here and there.

Anywhose, sorry for rambling on with my 2 cent opinions over this. >.<

You've just described almost every older building at the University of Waterloo (except Dana Porter library). 😅
(While acknowledging that this is veering off topic...)

I resent the implication that MC doesn't have good stuff on the outside! ;)

The interior, is, sadly pretty unremarkable, but the exterior is A+ brutalism IMO. The Red Room was long gone by the time I got there -- I wish I'd had a chance to see it.

DC was a cool concept, but the execution was lacking (bad air quality, leaky roof, lots of condensation everywhere, and weirdly heavy doors). PAS had a wild interior with lots of exposed concrete and its weird nexus of staircases in the middle. EIT was my favourite -- totally unremarkable from the outside, but so much fun to explore on the inside with all the dinosaurs and rock specimens and the secret ore cart in one of the basement tunnels.

My issue w/this building is really only its intrusiveness in the King's College Circle area where its height + form given it an intrusive and over-bearing feel to me.

My issue w/this building is really only its intrusiveness in the King's College Circle area where its height + form given it an intrusive and over-bearing feel to me.

I disagree - the yellow bricks are a great modern counterpoint to a lot of the older yellow buildings on campus, and ever since they cleaned the facade of Convocation hall the new building is surprisingly similar in colour. I really appreciate the modern contrast between the two and in no way find it overwhelming.

You can see the brick cleaning in process below - note how similar the masonry colours are between the two buildings

Screen Shot 2020-10-27 at 8.07.31 AM.png

It's been some time since I've been on campus - I hadn't realized Simcoe Hall was getting a scrub. Looks bloody great.

I disagree - the yellow bricks are a great modern counterpoint to a lot of the older yellow buildings on campus, and ever since they cleaned the facade of Convocation hall the new building is surprisingly similar in colour. I really appreciate the modern contrast between the two and in no way find it overwhelming.

You can see the brick cleaning in process below - note how similar the masonry colours are between the two buildings

View attachment 279197

That photo by DavidCapizzano two posts up should be sourced to Google Streetview and dates back to May 2019. Does anyone have an updated pic of this building (Simcoe Hall) as it must be fully scrubbed by now?

Back