News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Holiday Inn is pretty bad.
RoCP buildings would be much nicer if they did not have that arched roof.
All of the St.Jamestown buildings are nasty.

Not sure why there is so much hatred for the Toronto Star building. It's really quite basic, and not that bad looking.

Speaking of those suburban buildings, there is more variety among them than is commonly recognized, and I think some will rebound to some extent and become, well sort of OK again. A tepid endorsement, I know.

This kind of stuff though, is awful. I hate it when the commie towers have that *^&$ brown siding on the upper floors. Anybody know why they do this? I assume there is some problem with the brick and the cheapest way to stop deterioration is to side them.

CapriTowers.jpg

Residences Of College Park? UGLY! Elements of 1980s 'show' architecture to it. And cheap! Take a look at the caulking around windows at ground level on South Tower. Talk about being 'slapped' together. Too bad. A pretty good location. Hopefully, AURA will make up for it (or at least hide it).

Not the worst, but Sixty Lofts makes me cringe every time I see it. Soo, soooooo cheap looking - even from far away. Especially the way the 7th floor fucks up the grid. Bad installation.

photograph_sixty_loft_1_2008_03_16_9661.jpg

I guess this is my beef with these "which building is ugliest?" threads - there's really nothing to say. There are only two options - the same old, same old (some combination of HBC, Holiday Inn, Habour Square, blah blah) and then finally you get the wankers who pick some building just to be provocative or something. For the record, I think SixtyLoft is a great building, and here are comments from other posters here about the building:

• personally I am a fan of this one.
  • As a brick-lover, I think it's great.
  • it's actually turned out to be a great compliment to 60 Bathurst
  • but 60 Bathurst is looking marvelous! Very very fine work.
  • I like the zinc cladding used on this project.
  • this project definitely far exceeded my expectations. One very slick product!
  • The cladding turned out nicer than a lot of the cladding in the area.
  • Sixty Bathurst has turned out quite nicely - much better than the building across the street.
  • I like this building. Looks like an old factory reminiscent of the King West area of the past. It also reminds me of the CBC building, ever so slightly, with the small red horizontal panels and the white framing separating each floor and vertical lines.

That's not to say that everyone has to agree, it's a free world and all, even for 12 year olds, but there's just no way it belongs in a discussion of the ugliest buildings in the city.

BAD:

Sheraton Centre
Hudson's Bay tower at Richmond and Bay
Hudson's Bay Centre at Bloor and Yonge
The "World Trade Centre" complex
RoCP
Holiday Inn
Bond Place hotel
The reclad Marriott at Yonge and College
The ugly brown Ryerson tower just south of College on Yonge
Delta Chelsea
LuCliff place
Actually, anything taller than 20 storeys built on the waterfront between 1975and 1995.

TKTKTK and I obviously cringe in unison. I can think of several visually quieter loft buildings in that part of town - the Stewart Lofts just to the east, for example, which sits in a neighbourhood of discreetly interchangeable condos that really do give of a Bauhaus vibe. But then this is Bathurst, so perhaps it's a louder building for a louder location.

For me, the use of horizontal gashes of red and pale vertical stripes as decorative elements designed to disguise the boxiness of the building backfires. It don't fool me at all.

...and then finally you get the wankers who pick some building just to be provocative or something. For the record, I think SixtyLoft is a great building, and here are comments from other posters here about the building:

• personally I am a fan of this one.
  • As a brick-lover, I think it's great.
  • it's actually turned out to be a great compliment to 60 Bathurst
  • but 60 Bathurst is looking marvelous! Very very fine work.
  • I like the zinc cladding used on this project.
  • this project definitely far exceeded my expectations. One very slick product!
  • The cladding turned out nicer than a lot of the cladding in the area.
  • Sixty Bathurst has turned out quite nicely - much better than the building across the street.
  • I like this building. Looks like an old factory reminiscent of the King West area of the past. It also reminds me of the CBC building, ever so slightly, with the small red horizontal panels and the white framing separating each floor and vertical lines.

That's not to say that everyone has to agree, it's a free world and all, even for 12 year olds, but there's just no way it belongs in a discussion of the ugliest buildings in the city.

I find it funny that THIS is the building you're going to go to the mat to defend. You couldn't pick something half-way decent to hitch your aesthetic cart to?

This building is a dog. It looks like something you store stuff at, not somewhere you'd pay to live.

Incidentally, I get the CBC connection - though I think this building looks like a very low-res version of it. A .gif to the CBC's raw.

Attachments

• CBC_Centre.jpg
    CBC_Centre.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
My point is not to go to the mat for the building, my point is that there are about 14,000 uglier buildings in the city. Which is why I find the wanking pointless and boring.

By the way, in an aside, Christopher Hume also writes positively of this building, so why, exactly, should I listen to you? "Compared to the newer condo nearing completion across the road on the west side of Bathurst, 38 Niagara seems downright drab. No coloured window frames here, or varied massing, just your basic box. On the other hand, let's not forget that this is a background building, one meant to be part of something larger."

My point is not to go to the mat for the building, my point is that there are about 14,000 uglier buildings in the city. Which is why I find the wanking pointless and boring.

Then don't read the thread. It isn't as if anyone's taken you hostage and forced you to read others' opinions.

By the way, in an aside, Christopher Hume also writes positively of this building, so why, exactly, should I listen to you? "Compared to the newer condo nearing completion across the road on the west side of Bathurst, 38 Niagara seems downright drab. No coloured window frames here, or varied massing, just your basic box. On the other hand, let's not forget that this is a background building, one meant to be part of something larger."

Sounds more like damning with faint praise. Sixty Lofts is better than the bare minimum, congrats Sixty Lofts!

And for the record, no one cares if you listen to me or not (least of all me.) I don't comment here for your exclusive benefit (hard to believe, I guess)

But this is the "ugliest building" thread, not "post a bunch of buildings with random degrees of ugliness," so unless you truly believe that Sixty Lofts is uglier than University Plaza or Holiday Inn (i.e. it is firmly at the top of your personal ugly scale), then I have to agree with Archivist.

But this is the "ugliest building" thread, not "post a bunch of buildings with random degrees of ugliness," so unless you truly believe that Sixty Lofts is uglier than University Plaza or Holiday Inn (i.e. it is firmly at the top of your personal ugly scale), then I have to agree with Archivist.

I do think it's uglier than both the Holiday Inn and University Plaza. Sixty Lofts looks like it was put together with whatever cheap odds and ends they had lying around.

I drive by it every day. I hate its sheddy ghastliness.

Sixty Lofts was 'trying' to be cool and hip, but failed miserably. Probably looked at lot better in the renderings.

RoCP looks fine to me too.

But +1 for the Toronto Star building. That thing should be demolished.

I never found CCW particularly attractive either... although I have a feeling I might get flamed for that one:

cibc_vertical.jpg

Sacrilege!

Back