If the oxford towers do go up, the CN Tower can adapt. Someone mentioned the views from the upper skypod would be unaffected. If so, then it can be better developed to become the main draw for sightseeing. The main pod could be adapted to provide new facilities for tourists. This could be an impetus for growth, not necessarily a drawback for the tower.

I have received messages from some very indignant people on this forum due my "bumping" of threads, which most of the time were comments to ask how a project was getting on, rather than wade through pages of confusing comments. I like to apologize before when commenting sometimes to anticipate this reaction.
Also, its a bit of a habit (similar to saying "umm" as a prelude).

I'm not specifically picking on you. It's a habit that we all seem to have and I'd really like to stop it. We Canadians are the most apologetic people in the world. And when I think about it, we're the ones who need to apologize the least.

I'm not specifically picking on you. It's a habit that we all seem to have and I'd really like to stop it. We Canadians are the most apologetic people in the world. And when I think about it, we're the ones who need to apologize the least.

you Canadians are freaaaakin awesome. you guys are the most friendly and humble nation in the world.

The owner of the CN Tower is the federal government (i.e. all Canadians) and I think it's in the interest of all Canadians and Torontonians that the most iconic view of downtown Toronto from the CN Tower be preserved. The CN Tower is a major tourist draw and is Toronto's and Canada's most famous landmark. It's that thing that let's every Torontonian, no matter where they are in the city, know that they're home. I'm surprised that anyone would treat it with such disregard.

I'm near certain that the CN Tower won't see any less tourists if Oxford is built. And the views from the SkyPod should remain completely unobstructed.

I have to say, I find the veneration being paid to the CN tower in this thread to be rather astonishing. It's like it's some ancient golden obelisk created to commemorate the gods. I love the freakin' thing but I don't think it needs to be 'protected' from the proximity of other tall buildings. Nor will its kitschy iconic nature be in any way lessened should a supertall or two chance to spring up over the next several years. Tourists will still flock to it and be whisked to the top of it in order to go ooh and ahh.

So what if a new building blocks views of the tower from various angles? So what if the view from the top of the tower be changed, thanks to the ongoing proliferation of new tall towers? The sky will not fall; the city won't be ruined.

Long live the CN Tower, sure - but let's get on with city building, shall we?

It's not only the views, what about signal transmission? The raison d'être for the tower is (or was) to relay TV, radio and cell signals. Would that be affected by the two Oxford Place towers?

Last edited:
If the oxford towers do go up, the CN Tower can adapt. Someone mentioned the views from the upper skypod would be unaffected. If so, then it can be better developed to become the main draw for sightseeing. The main pod could be adapted to provide new facilities for tourists. This could be an impetus for growth, not necessarily a drawback for the tower.
Perhaps one price for both the main pod and skypod would make sense instead of the tiered pricing now.

Perhaps one price for both the main pod and skypod would make sense instead of the tiered pricing now.

The CN Tower has tiered pricing for its two decks because the Skypod is the size of a shoebox. It really can't hold more than 20-30 people comfortably. If it was included in a single ticket price, more people would be inclined to go, but the lines would be crazy.

The broadcast facilities are in the white ring.

Is it not dishes behind the ring only for receiving signals, while the antennas are in the upper mast? For sure the FM antennas are up there.

Ok. Have to throw in my two uneducated cents here, but, just because the CN Tower is our landmark, and the means by which so many define our skyline, how long can we continue to use it as a reason not to breech the 300+ metre mark? We've come so far in so many respects, yet remain in the dark (pardon the pun) when it comes to building anything near the CN tower, let alone a tall tower. As far as tall towers go, our skyline has looked exactly the same since the 70's, with FCP, the CN Tower, Scotia Plaza (I know, that's from the 90's) and the various banking towers remaining the hallmarks of our dated look.

Isn't it time that we, when given the chance, replace our old landmarks with newer ones. Call it a lonely impulse of delight, but I beg the skyscraper gods, please, building us a few new super talls. As for for shadowing or loosing views, that's all part of grow, is it not? How many blocked views and shadows have been created in the last 10 years in the uptown, downtown and south cores? So why is it we're seemingly so terrified to break such an old taboo? Honestly, we're always bragging that we have the most construction happening in North America, why not have something really worth bragging about? Love them or hate them, can you imagine the visual impact on our skyline if Gerhy's proposal, Oxfords, and 1-7 Yonge's was built as originally designed?

I know just how many factors are at at play here, but maybe that the problem. City council takes them, rips them apart, and offers a modified counter proposal, the owners do the same, until we're left with a design but a mere shadow of what it was designed to be. I'm not saying build with no limits, most bylaws are there for a good reason, but just once, I'd love to see something over 300 meters built, with no so much as a whimper from city council. Just a wild fantasy? Probably, but if we're ever to break the hight phobia paranoia, we've got to start somewhere, just sayin....... (Let the comments, commence! Lol! That's fine, variety, and different view points, are the spice of life, and things are about to get very spicy indeed) :cool:

I don't agree with that. Even in the past 10-15 years, the skyline has changed dramatically.

Taller towers are fine, but I can understand the reluctance to place them near the CN Tower.

That said, I have no problems with this proposal...I'm really looking forward to it proceeding.

Back