This might be the Gate that would be used for UP. It's located at Union Station at the start of the Skywalk. It is directly above York Street and within a 100m walk of the Union Station west side exit to York Street.

No, that will continue to go to track 3 inside the shed. The UP Express will be located behind all the PCL construction boards (or whatever advertisement is there today) inside the SkyWalk hallway.

I am really looking forward to seeing the details of the two terminal stations at Union and Pearson. When anyone finds them, please post.

Union Station ARL location (Skywalk):
ARL_Union_Rendering-800x600.jpg

Updated rendering of the DMU:
ARL_Vehicle-800x471.jpg

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/airraillink/arl.aspx

Everyone: I have become interested in the UPE Airport Link and after reading some of these pages I note that when this line goes into service that they want to charge
a fare of around $25 one way...I understand that the targeted rider is those that use cabs or limousines from Downtown Toronto but by charging that high fare they price
out budget minded riders and what could be the most loyal riders of all-Pearson Airport workers...

I have used other Airport rail links in Cleveland,Chicago,St.Louis and Philadelphia as well as New York's JFK Airtrain and on some they charge a somewhat high single ride fare
of around 5 dollars but they also sell multi-ride fares for regular commuters and Airport employees: NYC JFK Airtrain: www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-cost-tickets.html
Chicago CTA: www.transitchicago.com/airports

This new Union Station-Pearson International Airport service could be quite successful but by charging a high fare and not having any incentive fare they risk alienating
regular commuters which could make the difference perhaps of this new service being successful or not...

Does anyone have any thoughts concerning these high proposed fares? I fully understand there has to be some cost recovery but not by pricing out loyal riders...

LI MIKE

Last edited:
Everyone: I have become interested in the UPE Airport Link and after reading some of these pages I note that when this line goes into service that they want to charge
a fare of around $25 one way...I understand that the targeted rider is those that use cabs or limousines from Downtown Toronto but by charging that high fare they price
out budget minded riders and what could be the most loyal riders of all-Pearson Airport workers...

I have used other Airport rail links in Cleveland,Chicago,St.Louis and Philadelphia as well as New York's JFK Airtrain and on all they charge a somewhat high single ride fare
of around 5 dollars but they also sell multi-ride fares for regular commuters and Airport employees: EX: www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-cost-tickets.html

This new Union Station-Pearson International Airport service could be quite successful but by charging a high fare and not having any incentive fare they risk alienating
regular commuters which could make the difference perhaps of this new service being successful or not...

Does anyone have any thoughts concerning these high proposed fares? I fully understand there has to be some cost recovery but not by pricing out loyal riders...

LI MIKE

Agreed completely. $25 for a single ride is way too high. Get 2 or more people together, and it's cheaper to split a cab from downtown.

What proposed high fares?

The Document you linked said:
The Union Pearson Express’s fare structure has not been determined, as the business plan is under development and has yet to be finalized by Metrolinx.

Looks like they don't know what they're going to charge yet. All discussion is still hypothetical, and no fine details are known. Bulk passes for employees could still be on the table.

I just came back from the community meeting for the Bloor/Dundas "Mobility Hub" planning. It was rather disappointing.

The station will be built first with only two tracks on the Weston Sub, which means GO and VIA will be fighting over very limited space with the precious UP Express. What this means is the 29 daily GO trains mentioned earlier and in GO/Metrolinx documents for this corridor are very accurate for opening day in 2015. This means hourly two-way midday service, more peak-direction trains, and some evening homebound trains. But there won't be enough capacity for all day, two way train service. There's provision and infrastructure built for two more tracks, which ought to be more than enough capacity, but that's coming at a "future" date.

And forget about a 2015 proper connection to the Dundas West subway. It still looks like in June 2015, the connection will still be via the Bloor Street sidewalk.

I just came back from the community meeting for the Bloor/Dundas "Mobility Hub" planning. It was rather disappointing.

The station will be built first with only two tracks on the Weston Sub, which means GO and VIA will be fighting over very limited space with the precious UP Express. What this means is the 29 daily GO trains mentioned earlier and in GO/Metrolinx documents for this corridor are very accurate for opening day in 2015. This means hourly two-way midday service, more peak-direction trains, and some evening homebound trains. But there won't be enough capacity for all day, two way train service. There's provision and infrastructure built for two more tracks, which ought to be more than enough capacity, but that's coming at a "future" date.

And forget about a 2015 proper connection to the Dundas West subway. It still looks like in June 2015, the connection will still be via the Bloor Street sidewalk.

It was a joke and they have no understanding what a "Mobility Hub" is supposed to be.

They were falling over themselves by being car focus, when it supposed to be a walkable hub.

3-6 storey buildings is not going to cut it.

Talking to a chap that is one of 4 owners who own the south side of Bloor St west of Dundas see taller building for the whole area in the range of 12-25 including over Dundas West Station, as well the rail corridor.

That 2nd tunnel has to go in now and time to expropriate that Crosstown complex to get the TTC tunnel completed, since it went on the books in the 80's that I know of.

There is only room for 4 tracks and that 4th track will be on the east side of the east platform. Once this goes in, access to the bike path will be close with a barrier wall going up beside it.

Construction starts in January and completed late fall 2014, to make sure it fully functional for 2015.

That seems odd. They have the bridges in place with space for 6 tracks now and the layout is empty-milton-milton-platform-kitchener-kitchener-platform-empty-bikeway (where kitchener = weston sub / future ARL). Originally there was initially going to be 5 tracks laid out at ARL launch as milton-milton-kitchener-platform-kitchener-kitchener-platform-empty-bikeway with a long term plan of 6 tracks milton-milton-kitchener-platform-kitchener-kitchener-platform-kitchener-bikeway . What are you saying the plans are now? I'm wondering how they could screw it up to only have 2 tracks... are they ripping out one they already have or are there going to continue to be two separate entrances to the station depending on which direction the train is going?

Enviro,

It's being built as two island platforms so that eventually it can be a four-track station on the Weston Sub. But on opening day, only the two inner tracks will be laid and serviced. The bridge over Bloor Street has already been built on the east side for a third track, it seems crazy that they can't have that ready for June 2015, especially as they triple and quadruple the tracks for other projects within the corridor; the West Toronto grade separation is built for four tracks to pass under the CP North Toronto Sub.

Someone also said that they are just fine with running a single track Galt Sub (Milton trains) for a while, as they only plan peak-direction service on that corridor at the 2015 mark. I'm guessing that some of the land that is used as the Galt Sub will shift to be the fourth Weston track.

Last edited:
Union Pearson Express a money loser?

The auditor also casts doubts on Metrolinx’s management of landmark infrastructure projects, including the Air Rail Link and the Union Station renovation.

The report suggests that the express train shuttle that will connect Union Station to Pearson likely won’t attract enough riders to pay for itself. To do that, it would need to charge $28 for a one-way ride, a price way out of reach not just for airport workers, but also many travelers.

Back