TOareaFan

My suggestion was to allow GO and B22 to stop at Woodbine. GO Passngers, though, would have to pass through a different door and would be charged an exit fee that would mean (when added to their GO fare) they had paid less than a B22 passenger to get to Woodbine (since they would have had more stops and, likely, less comfort) but still would pay more than a simple GO fare.
And the GOers get to Pearson how? On Blue22? How do you guarantee there will be space for the transferees?

TOareaFan

And the GOers get to Pearson how? On Blue22? How do you guarantee there will be space for the transferees?

I am likely wrong on this but I thought that from Woodbine everyone would just transfer onto the Airport's people mover?

If that is the case, presumably you could "guarantee" GO users access by simply staggering the arrival times of trains so that GO and B22 did not arrive at the same time but that there was a people mover there to meet each arrival (whether it be B22 or GO).

If it meant a transfer onto the B22 train itself this probably wouldn't work for anybody....not for GO passengers because, as you point out, there may not be space for them and not for B22 users because it would slow down their trip...which, presumably, is not something they would want after paying the premium fare for an express service.

I am likely wrong on this but I thought that from Woodbine everyone would just transfer onto the Airport's people mover?

-someone can update us technologically, but my impression is that the Pearson peoplemover, pulled by cables, is very difficult to extend

-that said, i do recall something about extending it south to a Renforth/Airport transit hub (earlier discussions looked into the GTAA's paster plan process and there are some details there)

GTAA Master Plan Ch. 7 Transportation (PDF)

At 7.5.5 they discuss the rollercoaster and specify that it currently carries 2150 pphpd maximum and can be expanded with a seventh car to 2500 - and that it can't be extended beyond the car park station (which they plan to extend with a multi-level structure to 6,500 spaces) but can be extended to a Terminal 1 Pier H stop. They claim that the system can be retrofitted to a "self-propelled technology" which presumably could handle longer runs and multiple trains per side.

Meanwhile the diagram referring to the Air-Rail link looks wrong as it's heading the wrong way out of the GTAA lands :eek: and there's no discussion of services west of Woodbine on the Georgetown-Guelph-Kitchener corridor... :mad:

[also: airport employee car parking spaces: 7,000! And expected to grow at 2% p.a. ... ]

I suspect it may be that GTAA deliberately built the terminus at the car park so that extending the cable and removing the current machinery would be too troublesome but somehow built the T1 stop differently to allow the T1-Pier H stop. Also, the cable performance might be climate affected to account for the difference with Mexico. Unfortunately we can only take GTAA's word for it for now.

Peoplemover terminus to Woodbine is at least 1.7km as the crow flies so probably nearer 2km in a realistic alignment. This would be an overall length of approaching 4km including T1-Pier H.

I saw the Mexico City peoplemover, but never had to use it as the airline I took flew into T1, including the connecting flight. It looked like a single-track affair, and Terminal 2 is across the runways and tarmac from the old Terminal 1.

The domestic wing of Terminal 1 is everything a third-world airport terminal should be, though Mexico is not a third world country anymore.

I was told years ago before the people mover was built, it was to be extended to Eglinton Ave. If it was extended at both ends, service would be the pits.

Keeping the mover is like keep the SRT.

If you going to service Woodbine let alone Eglinton, you got to scrap the system from day one. It's a roller coaster ride these days.

Some real lack of vision here now.

So, if the people mover to Woodbine is not practical, then I guess the B22 is going right into the airport? I guess they don't have to do anything to maintain exclusivity because the GO cannot re-route thru the aiport without seriously affecting service to its core customers............the commuters on the Georgetown line

For all you Blue22 fans who call Weston people the "worst kind of NIMBYs", check out this Ajax woman's tale of woe. Now that's a NIMBY. And at that, it's Durham Region Transit. Not like the buses come by that often.

So, if the people mover to Woodbine is not practical, then I guess the B22 is going right into the airport? I guess they don't have to do anything to maintain exclusivity because the GO cannot re-route thru the aiport without seriously affecting service to its core customers............the commuters on the Georgetown line

Bingo. Unless Blue22 and all other current plans are specified, in writing, in official documents, as a temporary solution to serving Pearson which can and will be discarded at the first available moment when forward thinking, long term solutions come online, it will be a long, long time before GO ever makes it way into Pearson.

For all you Blue22 fans who call Weston people the "worst kind of NIMBYs", check out this Ajax woman's tale of woe. Now that's a NIMBY. And at that, it's Durham Region Transit. Not like the buses come by that often.

OMFG. Screw NIMBY, CAVEman is more like it (Citizens Against Virtually Everything).

Bingo. Unless Blue22 and all other current plans are specified, in writing, in official documents, as a temporary solution to serving Pearson which can and will be discarded at the first available moment when forward thinking, long term solutions come online, it will be a long, long time before GO ever makes it way into Pearson.

I doubt if the B22 itself would ever be described as "temporary" but, perhaps, their exclusivity would be.

Back