This looks quite encouraging, coming to Government Management Committee next week:
More at: http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2016.GM9.5

(December 24, 2015) Report from the Chief Corporate Officer
Recommendations
The Chief Corporate Officer recommends that:

1. City Council authorize an amendment to the 2009 Head Lease Agreement between the City of Toronto and Osmington (Union Station) Inc. ("Osmington"), and authorize any other necessary agreements, to implement the building enhancements for Union Station, any necessary upgrades required to allow for retail on the GO West Concourse, and the heritage interpretation plan, substantially on the terms set out in the Term Sheet attached to this report as Attachment 1 and such other or amended terms as may be acceptable to the Chief Corporate Officer and in a form satisfactory to the City Solicitor.

2. City Council authorize an amendment to the retainer agreement with Davies Ward Phillips and Vineberg LLP (Purchase Order No. 6025203), in the additional amount of up to $350,000.00 (net of all applicable taxes), to provide continuing real estate legal advice and expertise for the on-going agreement updates associated with the revitalization project.

3. City Council authorize an amendment to the retainer agreement with PwC (Purchase Order No. 6037971), in the additional amount of up to $150,000.00 (net of all applicable taxes), to provide continuing real estate advice and expertise for the on-going lease related matters associated with the revitalization project.

Summary
In 2013, City staff reported to Council that the City's Head Lessee at Union Station, Osmington (Union Station) Inc., was interested in developing a renewed vision for the commercial retail and event elements at the Station. As the revitalization of Union Station has progressed, Osmington has further developed the design for the commercial retail and event spaces to create a 2015 vision for a dynamic, customer-focussed experience that includes engaging the top restauranteurs, retailers and cultural institutions of the City. The City shares this vision with Osmington to create a destination for commuters, local residents and visitors alike. In order to create a world class destination, base building and leasehold enhancements to the building are needed, including lighting, audio-visual equipment, furniture, amenities and other improvements to the retail and event offerings for Station users.

The enhancements are estimated to cost $32 million plus HST and contingency, and will be shared between Osmington (60%) and the City (40%). The City's 40% portion of the enhancement costs will be funded by Osmington and recovered with revenue that is generated from sponsorship and retail tenant percentage rent (as defined in the attached Term Sheet). The proposed enhancements do not require the City to use its own capital funding and presents no risk to the revenues that the City would receive in the absence of these enhancements.

This report recommends that City Council authorize an amendment to the 2009 Head Lease Agreement between the City and Osmington and authorize any necessary related agreements to allow Osmington to fund, design and construct enhancements to Union Station that will make it a City-wide destination for dining, retail, events and culture.

The second Railroad Coffee that opened. It wasn't there today.

Wasn't it near where the Starbucks is due to open? Perhaps that's a clue.
--
When did the West Wing hoarding come down? The room looks pretty good, though a bit empty. Even the piano seems to have moved on. I did spot some phone alcoves in the southeast corner.

Rob Ford voted against the Union Station improvements. See link.

With Councillor Rob Ford the sole dissenter, the government management committee approved recommendations to amend its lease with Osmington and to allocate $500,000 for further legal and real estate advice.

union001-copy.jpg

Source: http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam/thestar/uploads/2016/1/4/union001-copy.jpg

union002-copy.jpg

Source: http://www.metronews.ca/content/dam/thestar/uploads/2016/1/4/union002-copy.jpg

I was thinking more like the Science Center or Sherway Gardens in 1970, with all the pseudopsychedelic curvy decor. It looks like above them, there will be bare ceiling painted black with all the utilities exposed.

I had a lot of trouble placing the blueprint within the building, and most of the renderings didn't attach to a specific spot in the blueprint. Is this all below the Great Hall? If so, where are the current stairways to it? Am I the only one who came away confused?

- Paul

Why are they going so heavy on the food route? Was traditional retail not getting any interest?

I don't know... for me, I'll eat, and then leave a place. Union retail would be getting more of my money if I could eat and then there was other stuff I could go spend money on.
One can't eat and eat and eat for hours.

Why are they going so heavy on the food route? Was traditional retail not getting any interest?

I don't know... for me, I'll eat, and then leave a place. Union retail would be getting more of my money if I could eat and then there was other stuff I could go spend money on.
One can't eat and eat and eat for hours.
I think it was around late spring (May?) in this very forum that I took a lot of flak for suggesting this was going to be a nice (very nice) glorified food court.....as I said then, I am not happy to be somewhat right here but there is a definite shift of intention here and the sort of retailers people were expecting may have spoken loudly with their lack of interest in locating here.

Back