Maybe they should look into giving first access to Canadian companies or independents, rather than the large international conglomerates or chain restaurants.

Why are they going so heavy on the food route? Was traditional retail not getting any interest?

I don't know... for me, I'll eat, and then leave a place. Union retail would be getting more of my money if I could eat and then there was other stuff I could go spend money on.
One can't eat and eat and eat for hours.

This is the model for retail at Central Station in Montreal: a large food court with some shops. In Montreal, the main shopping area is only a few blocks north, along Ste-Catharine, and connected to the underground network. Washington Union Station and Grand Central Terminal offer more food than other retail, and I think this is a useful model for Union Station as well; with several large entertainment venues nearby, increased off-peak GO Train service, and more office space opening up, there's a built in 7-day/week market. I'm sure Osmington crunched the numbers and came to this conclusion.

This is the model for retail at Central Station in Montreal: a large food court with some shops. In Montreal, the main shopping area is only a few blocks north, along Ste-Catharine, and connected to the underground network. Washington Union Station and Grand Central Terminal offer more food than other retail, and I think this is a useful model for Union Station as well; with several large entertainment venues nearby, increased off-peak GO Train service, and more office space opening up, there's a built in 7-day/week market. I'm sure Osmington crunched the numbers and came to this conclusion.
That and did you experience the patio in front of Union this summer? It was a hit!

Scaffolding is now also going up on the western end of the great hall, similar to the structure on the east end.

The new entrance to the station facing York Street just south of Front looks ready to open. Directional signage over the doors was put up last night. This morning the workers were washing the windows and cleaning up trash, usually the very last step before opening.

This entrance is still not open. Early this morning three workers were again doing minor touch ups and cleaning. No other progress is visible, though I can't see what more there is to actually do. The bike locker room looks complete. The lights are on and the separate entrances are done.

Maybe they should look into giving first access to Canadian companies or independents, rather than the large international conglomerates or chain restaurants.

Agreed. The news coverage says that they intend on having a mix of national and international chains with local Toronto institutions. We'll see. Sometimes with these large redevelopments/revitalizations, the leasing can be uninspired and overly safe (which means lots of Tim Hortons, etc.)

Agreed. The news coverage says that they intend on having a mix of national and international chains with local Toronto institutions. We'll see. Sometimes with these large redevelopments/revitalizations, the leasing can be uninspired and overly safe (which means lots of Tim Hortons, etc.)

Given the amount of money being pumped into this place....I would bet that the overriding matter is who will pay, and continue to pay, the most rent for the space....this is a very expensive project and the return hurdle is, therefore, high.

Given the amount of money being pumped into this place....I would bet that the overriding matter is who will pay, and continue to pay, the most rent for the space....this is a very expensive project and the return hurdle is, therefore, high.

Of course. I think everyone gets that. Doesn't mean anyone is happy with the dreary sameness one tends to often see in terms of leasing. One hopes for better, though, especially when the site is publicly-owned and a National Historic Site of Canada. But no doubt the lessor will be trying to maximize revenues.

Noticed last week that the one side of the stairs leading to the moat from the subway station was fenced off and being demolished. I know they will be lowering it down eventually to match the gradient of the new concourse but that new Bay Concourse will not be opening for a couple years. Anyone know what they are up to here?

North ticket counters inside the great hall are officially boarded off and workers preparing for demolition

Back