They have (after many months) re-opened the EASTERN 'front door to Union from Front Street (Sir John A Macdonald Plaza) and closed the WESTERN one. Frankly, the changes at the east door look quite minimal to me and there appear to be several cracked floor tiles so I am not sure why the work took so long and/or remains unfinished.

I think this is the first time ive seen it all lit up without workers there

IMG_1528.jpeg

Also I think this is the first thing ive seen put in by metrolinx

IMG_1530.jpeg

Not to mention all the boxes scattered across the concourse, those could contain benches, overhead screens and more presto readers
Well, they have said that it is 'almost ready' to be handed on to Metrolinx for fitting out so this would be a reasonable assumption.

Today I was passing through the VIA Arrivals Concourse (beneath the Great Hall) when a woman with a suitcase came in front outside clearly in a rush. She saw the sign saying "Departures" and following the sign she schleped her suitcase up the stairs which lead into the Great Hall.

Had I been closer and quicker I would have told that was not the fastest way. Nowadays everyone has a ticket and no one needs to go though the Great Hall unless it happens to be on your way.

Today I was passing through the VIA Arrivals Concourse (beneath the Great Hall) when a woman with a suitcase came in front outside clearly in a rush. She saw the sign saying "Departures" and following the sign she schleped her suitcase up the stairs which lead into the Great Hall.

Had I been closer and quicker I would have told that was not the fastest way. Nowadays everyone has a ticket and no one needs to go though the Great Hall unless it happens to be on your way.

Ah but isn't the experience "great" ? 😁 the great hall is a room worth seeing unless of course you are in a hurry as mentioned.

They seem to (finally) be finishing off the granite flooring in the York Street moat area at the moment.
They are pouring new concrete outside the Bay Street doors that lead to Scotia Bank Arena.
The escalators etc in the SBA leading to new GO Bus area and the area surrounding them appear to be finished, I think they may, at least, open those doors again next week, once the concrete noted above, is done. I assume escalators will remain closed until the new GO BUs terminal opens. (Soon??)
They are continuing to work on Platform 3 of Union Station and appear to have installed new doors leading from it to the Bay Concourse. Still working on the outside of the walkway that goes across Bay Street to the current GO Bus Station.
They are working again on installing granite tiles in the Bay Street Moat.
They appear to be tidying up the walkway that goes from the Front East to Front West moats (below the Plaza); maybe it will re-open soon?
They are working on the ceiling above the new stairs that go to Bay Concourse from below the ramp that leads to the VIA concourse. They have hung the second refurbished lamp on the south side of this ramp area (still need to do the 2nd one on north side.)
They have walled off entry from the Great Hall into the east building so that one can no longer look down into the Bay Concourse. escalators - not sure why except that the ground floor of the east wing is unoccupied.

@reteequa

You didn't highlight the single most miraculous achievement evidenced by your photos! (for which you are duly thanked, by the way).

From this photo below: The ceiling is painted! That only took what, 5 years? Yay!

View attachment 279835
I didn't even realize! I guess im just used to the mess. It is only in this one little area though I think :(

What is that in the middle tho? An elevator shaft?
Just a display case I believe.

@reteequa

You didn't highlight the single most miraculous achievement evidenced by your photos! (for which you are duly thanked, by the way).

From this photo below: The ceiling is painted! That only took what, 5 years? Yay!

View attachment 279835
Don't get your hopes up. This is the ONLY part of the ceiling on that level of Union to be painted. Though today they are putting up the drywall outside the new stairs going to Bay Concourse - if I had not been proved too optimistic before, I would suggest they may be planning to paint the old and the new at the same time!

Back