its the same thing with the Nelson Mandela station on the Scarborough extension as well as pioneer village station. The best name is always the most obvious one.

I don't see the relation. Maybe you could argue that for NM station given that it would have had a history under a different name but Pioneer Village Station will be brand new. Union only makes the most sense precisely because it has history on its side, otherwise its most obvious name would be Front.

Does anyone take Minnan-Wong seriously? I mean the Gardiner will just become a bigger and bigger money pit. Oops, wrong thread. :)

I don't see the relation. Maybe you could argue that for NM station given that it would have had a history under a different name but Pioneer Village Station will be brand new. Union only makes the most sense precisely because it has history on its side, otherwise its most obvious name would be Front.

Pioneer Village should have been Steeles West.
Vaughan Metropolitan Centre should have been Vaughan Centre.

I don't support a Nelson Mandela (or a Princess Diana) subway station because they have nothing to do with Toronto or its subway system. It makes no sense whatsoever. Name a park for them if anything.

Correction. Kingston’s train station currently in use by VIA, should be named the Sir John A. MacDonald Station. The one out in the sticks of Kingston near the 401. Unless you actually seen the Kingston train station currently in use, of course. Its not really that grand.
Having lived in Kingston for many years, I wouldn't have ever said it was near the 401. It's at least a couple of kilometres south.

It's not an ideal location, but it's no worse, and far more central, than the old GTR/CNR station at Hickson and Montreal. There were complaints back in the 1850s on how remote that station was, and GTR used to offer a service into downtown, but that vanished early last century.

Kingston VIA station is relatively well used, as a shot taken during train arrivals/departures would show. Not a surprise given that there's about 9 trains a day between Kingston and Toronto.

I'm for changing it because it's not a unique name for a hub station.
So if someone in the Toronto area were to say `Let`s meet at Union Station` you would immediately assume it was in Buffalo or LA or Washington? There are many Union Stations, ours is actually a rather early one, and it really isn't too confusing.

The problem with City Hall, is that many cities have a City Hall.

We need to change the name to make it more distinct, so that when I say we meet at City Hall, that the other person doesn't end up in Wawa or something.

I propose "Ford's Crackhouse of Horror".

There are many great Beaux Arts railway stations in North America called Union Station. I'd like a name that helps ours stand out in the crowd more and to honour a great Canadian as the country's leading city should. It's a matter of civic improvement and national representation.

I can't wait until towns start selling the naming rights to their "Main Streets" for a quick buck.

Kentucky Fried Taco Hut Avenue brought to you by Yum!

Welcome to our dystopian future.

If they rename Union Station to Sir John A. MacDonald Station, tourists will wonder why we named a train station after a restaurant. McDonalds would:

mcdonalds-logo.JPG

I can't wait until towns start selling the naming rights to their "Main Streets" for a quick buck.

Kentucky Fried Taco Hut Avenue brought to you by Yum!

Welcome to our dystopian future.

In the future all restaurants will be Taco Bell. At least after the fast food wars...

If they rename Union Station to Sir John A. MacDonald Station, tourists will wonder why we named a train station after a restaurant. McDonalds would:

If this happens, for some synergy I hope they at least could renovate the damn thing. It's so cramped and ugly, and afaik they don't serve a full menu.

Looks like I have a letter to write to Denzil.

If they rename Union Station to Sir John A. MacDonald Station, tourists will wonder why we named a train station after a restaurant.

If they did rename Union Station to Sir John A. Macdonald Station or even just Macdonald Station, no one would ever spell or capitalize it right. It's bad enough that so many people thought the Eaton Centre was the Eaton's Centre (or Center), or that there's such a place as 'Castle Loma'.

This won't be very good branding either:

ze1a.jpg

Original photo credit: Secondarywaltz, from the Union Station Wikipedia page

Back