Rob Ford toured Union Station this morning. The following was picture was posted on twitter. Anyone recognize where this is in the building?

Looks like it would be in the loading area at the south end of the lowest level of York Concourse.

Toronto’s Union Station should be renamed for Sir John A. MacDonald, councillor says

Denzil Minnan-Wong says the historic station now under renovation would be a fitting monument to Canada’s railway-building first prime minister.

From The Star, at this link:

The rejuvenated Union Station should be renamed after Sir John A. Macdonald, Canada’s first prime minister, says Councillor Denzil Minnan-Wong.

“Union Station is a great monument to Sir John A. because he is known for his National Policy, for building a railway from coast to coast,†Minnan-Wong said Tuesday.

“What better place in terms of recognition of Sir John A. than Union Station, probably the most important railway station in the country?â€

While Macdonald is associated with Kingston and Ottawa, Minnan-Wong said he did live and practise law in Toronto and was the first president of Toronto-based Manufacturers’ Life Insurance Co., now known as Manulife.

Macdonald deserves recognition in Toronto, said Councillor Adam Vaughan, but not necessarily at the expense of replacing one historic name with another.

The Union Station name, which harks back to a predecessor station built in 1858 and reflects the merger of the Grand Trunk and other railways, is an integral part of the city’s history, Vaughan said.

“I don’t think you obliterate history to honour history,†he said. “I think you find ways to take things that aren’t named. There’s a new plaza in front of Union Station that’s being built. Maybe it’s the plaza that’s appropriately named for Sir John A. Macdonald.â€

“I think connecting it to the rail system is understandable but Union Station is Union Station,†Vaughan added. “It’s part of the fabric and history of the city. It’s not something that you just sort of break out a chisel and carve the name.â€

A Star poll shows more than 90 per cent of respondents want the name left alone.

Minnan-Wong said as many as a dozen train stations around the continent already carry the name Union Station.

“Union Station is not a significant name because there are so many other Union Stations in North America.â€

Mayor Rob Ford, in a scrum Tuesday, said he’s not in favour of renaming the station. “I like Union Station; let’s keep the name as it is,†he told reporters.

But Minnan-Wong said councillors he’s spoken to are supportive, as are the Friends of Sir John A. Macdonald. Supporters include Alan Broadbent of the Maytree Foundation, broadcaster Steve Paikin and journalist Richard Gwyn.

Councillor Karen Stintz supported honouring major historical figures.

“Whether it’s through Union Station or some other mechanism, I think it’s important to acknowledge those who served before us.â€

Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly said he “wholeheartedly†supports naming the station after Macdonald.

“There are lots of Union Stations sprinkled throughout North America but if this goes through, there will be only one Sir John A. Macdonald station, and that will be in the city of Toronto.â€

Minnan-Wong said it was his idea to push for a renaming. He is asking staff to prepare a report on it to be submitted to the July 2 meeting of the executive committee.

Meanwhile, the executive committee delayed, until March 25, its debate on a proposal to allow jets to land at the Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport.

Some 143 people were listed to speak to the committee on the issue. Deputy Mayor Norm Kelly, who chairs the committee, said they will get a chance to speak March 25.

Personally, the train station in Kingston should be name after John A. MacDonald, since John A. is from Kingston. Of course, the Kingston station is not as grand.

Toronto should honour the greatest Canadians by renaming prominent landmarks and public spaces after them as the leading city of the nation. I don't like Macdonald Station, though. John A. Macdonald didn't have much of a connection to the station.

Last edited:
Personally, the train station in Kingston should be name after John A. MacDonald, since John A. is from Kingston. Of course, the Kingston station is not as grand.

I think we should counter with renaming Union to David Miller Station just to watch Ford blow up.

Last edited:
personally, the train station in kingston should be name after john a. Macdonald, since john a. Is from kingston. Of course, the kingston station is not as grand.

Agreed. Leave the way it is. Does Minnan-Wong not anything better to do? He should be focussing on more important city issues!

Really?? because Sir John A. Macdonald station just rolls off the tongue. Don't politicians have better things to do than trying to rename historical landmarks that have kept the same name for decades? Even if the station is renamed, I can guarantee you that everyone will still call it Union, so what is the point of this proposal?

I think we could just call it the "John Eh!"...
"Take the subway to the John Eh!"

Or just the acronym JAM Station?
It's an oft suitable description.

Really?? because Sir John A. Macdonald station just rolls off the tongue. Don't politicians have better things to do than trying to rename historical landmarks that have kept the same name for decades? Even if the station is renamed, I can guarantee you that everyone will still call it Union, so what is the point of this proposal?

Sir John A. MacDonald, Canada’s first Prime Minister, was elected MP for Kingston. Shouldn’t Kingston get first rights to the name, John A. MacDonald Station?

Correction. Kingston’s train station currently in use by VIA, should be named the Sir John A. MacDonald Station. The one out in the sticks of Kingston near the 401. Unless you actually seen the Kingston train station currently in use, of course. Its not really that grand.

kingston_train664.jpg

Last edited:
its the same thing with the Nelson Mandela station on the Scarborough extension as well as pioneer village station. The best name is always the most obvious one.

Back