And besides, I can't imagine the signage staying as is for that long - at some point PATH is going to get a new logo, they will have to rethink how to communicate the streetcar connection (the logo is useless for someone without knowledge of the vehicle), etc...

Given the location, I am not sure why the "subway" is right underneath the TTC logo and not under line 1 instead - and to keep it consistent, instead of using the anonymous streetcar pictogram, there should be some other shape (say rounded square?) for LRTs, with route number(s) inside and mode description below.

AoD

Last edited:
There are (as shown in the photos above) several triple sets of doors and two single ones (at either end). It appears that the spacing used was standardised for both kinds of door - looks OK on the single doors but a bit crowded on the triples. Hardly a design disaster but ...

It's definitely a design disaster, in more ways than one. But I don't expect much better from the TTC.

The second platform opens Monday. The closure this weekend is to get the final touches ready.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The second platform opens Monday. The closure this weekend is to get the final touches ready.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Shucks....I was hoping for August 24....the 6th anniversary of the closing of the 2008 Olympics....this project was one of the projects all 3 levels of government guaranteed would be built and ready for the opening of the games...whether or not we were awarded them.

Ah well, better late than never ;) and this project met a better fate than some of the other "guaranteed" projects.

Not that odd, they have been calling for an august opening for a very long time.

Full completion still isn't until October, from my understanding.

I'm noticing that my mockup seems to look like Front St slopes towards the Royal York. I think I lined up the moat a little wrong. I forgot that the moat walls are chest height in real life, not flush with the ground, as they are in a 2D plan.

The tiling looks fantastic. Especially loving the typography used for "UNION". Looks slightly different than the rest of the system. I think it's thicker with slightly closer chatacter spacing.

Last edited:
From TTC CEO report to Commission on 19th August:

"By the date of the August Board meeting, another milestone will have been reached, namely the opening of the new second platform at Union Station. This project has presented tremendous logistical, operational and engineering challenges, but the end result is a huge leap forward for customers at one of our busiest locations. Work will now continue through to Spring 2015 to complete the refurbishment of the existing platform and to renovate and rationalize the concourse area."

Back