231844_3.JPG

Just looking at this, I think it looks very Euro, very Amsterdam or Rotterdam-ish....nice

MAY 29, 2007 - 15:22 ET

Fernbrook and Cityzen Launch Pier 27 City's Most Exclusive Waterfront Community

TORONTO, ONTARIO--(CCNMatthews - May 29, 2007) - Fernbrook Homes and The Cityzen Development Group today unveiled plans for its Pier 27 residential community at the foot of Yonge Street, the last - and arguably the best - waterfront address in Toronto.

"We have had the advantage of learning from what others have done before," says Danny Salvatore, president of Fernbrook. "The result is a spectacular new community which seamlessly links the city's lakefront with its residents."

Pier 27 is a 9-acre site south of Queen's Quay, located at the foot of Yonge Street. Bounded on the west and east by water, the property is zoned for up to 1.5 million square feet of residential space plus ground level commercial suitable for shops and service outlets.

While the details of the entire development are still in the working stage, the partners announced today that Phase One will be a spectacularly innovative pair of twin, 12-storey towers, capped by a three-level bridge, which will offer dramatically different penthouse suites.

Designed by celebrated architect Peter Clewes of architectsAlliance, the steel and glass towers will be set amidst lavishly landscaped grounds reminiscent of southern resort properties. Their design and the use of steel and glass intentionally create a visual link between the city's magnificent harbourscape and islands and pedestrian traffic along Queen's Quay.

"In the past too many projects have acted as a barrier to the enjoyment of the waterfront," says Mr. Salvatore. "When we began designing this new community one of our top priorities was to design and site all buildings in such a way as to preserve sight lines and to have them act as a link not a barrier to the lake."

The partners also said that the community will be targeted to an upscale market and, in the first phase, will offer suites that reflect a need for space, both indoors and outdoors. Suites will be exceptionally large with one-bedroom units starting at 700 square feet, at least 50% larger than most other one-bedroom units now being marketed downtown and ranging in size right up to three-bedroom-plus den penthouses of about 4,000-square-feet.

Prices will start in the $400,000-plus range.

"Pier 27 is a celebration of life on the waterfront, not life with views of the waterfront," says Sam Crignano, principal of Cityzen Development. "This first phase sets the tone for the project and gives an indication of what Pier 27 will offer. It will anchor the southwest corner of the site and be surrounded on the south and west by water.

"Every unit will have a large balcony or terrace or both. Two-storey units will be set at the base of the buildings with doors to the quay and each with its own private elevator. Pier 27 will be a project that does indeed seamlessly link the magnificent outdoor setting with the interiors of the suites."

Pier 27 also offers the advantage of being built in the midst of a thriving waterfront community, Mr. Salvatore adds. Directly across Queen's Quay is a Loblaws, an LCBO outlet, restaurants and clubs. The site is directly connected with the Martin Goodman Trail, a popular route for joggers, cyclists and walkers.

"You have the Queen's Quay TTC line at your doorstep, which connects directly with Union Station, the hub for rail and the University and Yonge Street subway lines," Mr. Crignano says. "The Air Canada Centre, the business district and the pleasures that Harbourfront offers are minutes away by foot."

Pier 27 will also offer residents extensive indoor and outdoor recreational facilities including an outdoor pool and cabanas with views of the lake and the islands, indoor lap pool, complete spa, a round-the-clock concierge and valet parking to whisk the vehicles of residents and guests alike to the underground parking garage.

"We feel Pier 27 will very quickly become one of the most sought after addresses in the city," Mr. Salvatore says. "This is waterfront living as it should have been from the start."

http://www.ccnmatthews.com/news/rel...earchText=false&showText=all&actionFor=654678

The only thing that angers me is the residential use at the base. What good is that. Can we not put some space for retail along the waterfront for restaurants or cafe's?

"Just looking at this, I think it looks very Euro, very Amsterdam or Rotterdam-ish....nice"

Yeh it does have that Dutch functionalism appearance.

The only thing that angers me is the residential use at the base. What good is that. Can we not put some space for retail along the waterfront for restaurants or cafe's?

I agree...this is the absolute perfect project for it too.

Well that does it for me. I think this will be yet another lakeside condo that we'll shake our heads in 20 years and wonder what we were thinking allowing it to get built. Just like all the others, it privatizes the waterfront space. Who's going to use this "quay" if the only thing there is a few entrances to ultra-high-end condos?

This project is going to have "ground level commercial suitable for shops and service outlets" so let's not be too alarmist. My fear though is that we will be stuck with a drycleaners, a variety store and maybe a fast-food chain.

There are many details that these nice renderings do not show: how else is the site being used? How does the site look with the rest of the condos? How do the condos meet the waterfront at ground level? Where is the parking garage and how do cars come and go from the site?

Yeah, the ground-level commercial will be a dry cleaner and a Rabba along Queens Quay. It doesn't do a thing for the water. It says, right there in the press release...erm...article, that there will be these duplex condos with their doors opening on to the quay. This "quay" is, once again, an oversized amenities space for the highest-end condos. It's certainly no gift to the city.

A higher end private condo property is what it is to be sure. The public may walk about them- but yeh it's no gift to the city. Really nice looking project though :eek:

For the most part I agree with unimaginative2. However, like any other residential neighbourhood, the public will be free to stroll along the streets and sidewalks - in this case Queen's Quay - plus a grand 25 metre waterfront promenade on private land that we will be given access to. It remains to be seen how, or if, that promenade will link up to the promenade in front of the Corus building to the east.

So, fortunately, we're not turning into a Venice of canals that are lined with private properties right up to the water. Even if we were, we're getting another real pretty building to look at as we sail past - though admittedly a view goes only part way to satisfying the definition of Toronto as a place where the city meets the lake.

It's definitely true that the public will be free to stroll around, but they're free to stroll around the Harbour Square property, too. That doesn't mean that many do it, since it's designed as much as possible to look like it's private. It's guaranteed that they're not going to design the complex so there are thousands of people on a weekend wandering up to the doors of this multi-million dollar duplexes. This is simply yet another private compound on the lakefront. You can see where the retail will be located: that short little area facing Queens Quay on the left tower in the rendering.

This may be pretty, but I'd definitely take Project Symphony over it. At least the latter seems to make some effort to get some public businesses down on the lakefront. It's just a matter of making sure that their hours are more than 9-5, Monday to Friday.

515241975_39a0965e5a_b.jpg

Doesn't the city own the rights to build on the water?

This whole problem could be solved by having the city build a wide boardwalk over the water (where Captain John's is -- move the ship West a bit) extending West which would line up with Yonge street and lead right into Lake Ontario.

What's wrong with this picture?
TheStar.com - GTA - What's wrong with this picture?

231844_3.JPG

May 30, 2007
Christopher Hume
Urban Affairs Columnist

Everything about Pier 27 is great, except for one thing – the location.

<snip>The problem was that the developers would only have given up land in return for greater height, something no politician could agree to in a city where tall buildings are anathema.<snip>

Oh what hyperbole! Chris - calm it down a bit!

I love the title of the press release. The city's "Most Exclusive Waterfront Community." That doesn't sound like open and inviting public space to me.

I've written to my councillor insisting that, at the very least, businesses like restaurants should be located along the water and not just multi-million dollar duplexes.

Back