I can't tell based on the video if the building damaged was one of the buildings meant to be preserved or one of the walls slated for demo. Based on KWT'd tweet sounds like it was slated for demo. It'll be good that there'll be a heritage consultant to make sure the other buildings are preserved and a published schedule and scope of work, which I thought was the plan in the first place.

I can't tell based on the video if the building damaged was one of the buildings meant to be preserved or one of the walls slated for demo. Based on KWT'd tweet sounds like it was slated for demo. It'll be good that there'll be a heritage consultant to make sure the other buildings are preserved and a published schedule and scope of work, which I thought was the plan in the first place.
The IO folk are really VERY stupid to do something like this (even if it is within what was agreed) without advance notice. They already have got a shady reputation and this hardly helps.

Based on what's been reported, I think it is the interior, north-facing walls of the machine shop building - see:

Partial demolition was part of the settlement?

Long and short of it is - yes - but I think they mucked up the process that should have been followed as part of the agreement with the city and SLNA.

AoD

Based on what's been reported, I think it is the interior, north-facing walls of the machine shop building - see:

Long and short of it is - yes - but I think they mucked up the process that should have been followed as part of the agreement with the city and SLNA.

AoD
Good eye, I think you're right. The piping on the roof matches with what I see on the sat view for the machine shop.

I thought a plan was supposed to be submitted to the city before any demolition. Wonder what happened there.

Good eye, I think you're right. The piping on the roof matches with what I see on the sat view for the machine shop.

I thought a plan was supposed to be submitted to the city before any demolition. Wonder what happened there.

Can't claim the credit - someone mentioned that's where it is on Twitter - forgot who did, so didn't provide the link.

AoD

Looking at page 28 of the proposal, the north wall of the 1935 section of the machine shop was suggested to be demolished and rebuilt. The building will be preserved.

I'd always thought the machine shop would be untouched but looks like I was mistaken. Thanks for the link!

Starting on a Saturday? WTF?? Has Ford completely lost whatever mind he once had?
The Ford government likes to perceive itself as defenders against red tape - something they help create being government and all. And in doing so requires immediate tangible action in their minds as this building is prime example of said red tape that needs to be made an example of. And this is why we have demolition crews showing up here in the odd hours pulling down this heritage structure with abandon as it helps this government's re-election chances...because they want to view this to be fighting the good fight against evil bureaucracy that's getting their way on taxpayer's dimes. Also see: Shite-gibbons thinking. /sigh

Last edited:
Count me as one of the confused. There’s another video that’s been posted to Facebook groups that seems to indicate they started to demolish the wrong building. But like a lot of others, KWT tweet made it sound like it was a legit demo.

In case anyone needs clarity on which buildings they’ve dug into thus far; a clearer shot
B2138613-6A50-4466-9808-B2C72F9E6BC0.jpeg

Friends of the Foundry has confirmed that "the demolition so far is on-plan, even though the timing did not conform to the 2021 HIA recommendation. City Heritage Preservation Services... have double-checked the current plan of work and it's OK."

Personally, I'm not sure why we're demolishing any buildings until there is a concrete development proposal. I don't look forward to staring at a partially-demolished vacant lot for years.

Friends of the Foundry has confirmed that "the demolition so far is on-plan, even though the timing did not conform to the 2021 HIA recommendation. City Heritage Preservation Services... have double-checked the current plan of work and it's OK."

Personally, I'm not sure why we're demolishing any buildings until there is a concrete development proposal. I don't look forward to staring at a partially-demolished vacant lot for years.
It's been MZO'd so the developer will likely be looking at about a year from site plan application filing to conditional excavation permits.

I am more concerned about leaving a space like that semi-open, vulnerable to intrusion and potentially fires - we all know how common the latter are wrt heritage buildings in this town.

AoD

I am more concerned about leaving a space like that semi-open, vulnerable to intrusion and potentially fires - we all know how common the latter are wrt heritage buildings in this town.

AoD
an interesting point that raises another question: how intense will the security personnel be, the same one that has been at the site 24/7 for almost a year, after the province hands over the property?

Back