this is pretty crappy in a few ways. massing feels far too massive and not articulated enough, materiality is too homogenous and of cheap quality, the cantilevers are likely unrealistic which means we'll end up with some crap columns, turning almost the entirety of that south building into an affordable housing lobby feels like a huge missed opportunity, and the west foundry building feels way too carved up on the ground floor. also i dont think any of the towers fall tower tower design guidelines when it comes to landing towers at grade or certain tower separations (not saying those are always good, just seeing a hard road ahead)

the design just reads like those existing remaining structures are more of a nuisance than an opportunity.

In terms of massing, the developer made clear at a recent meeting that they are building to the MZO and the siting is not open to change, so I think we're stuck. Blame the province for using authoritarian tools to cram entirely too much density onto this site, which has limited opportunities for community input, heritage use, and preservation.

For materiality, I think it would help a lot if Building B (the centre one) were clad in a different colour -- at least it would break up the three buildings visually. There may be some room to suggest this at a future meeting.

I don't remember hearing much about the West Foundry building. We may want to ask more about the intended uses, though I can see there is retail facing the POPS.

On the construction schedule, we heard the following:
  • Perform approximately six months of preservation and support work on the heritage structures, beginning in summer 2024
  • Go to market with unit sales in spring 2024
  • Begin excavation and construction in spring 2025, estimating a four-year construction schedule
  • Building B (affordable housing) will be built first
The three buildings share a parking garage (which also includes about 90 paid spots), so this will be built immediately for the entire site. The developers also anticipate constructing all buildings at the same time, though this depends on sales.

Overall, I don't there is much room for design change to the buildings, other than tweaks. The developer seemed fairly receptive to input on the uses of the Machine Building, the POPS, and remaining pedestrian space.

I have concerns about traffic that we didn't have the opportunity to explore. All access is off Eastern Avenue, which is already busy. I anticipate street parking will need to be removed.

Also, the intersection of Eastern Avenue and Eastern Avenue Diversion (just east of Sumach) has become a deathtrap. I anticipate the City will need to install a signalized intersection, though I don't see how it is going to work with the volume of traffic that will be generated along Eastern Avenue, the overpass, and Cherry Street.

Oh well :)

In April 2023 Friends of the Foundry were approached by Aspen Ridge, now the owners of the Foundry site, to establish a relationship and to discuss the future of the Foundry site.​

Aspen Ridge sent Giorgio Gianniotti, a consultant who is acting as Community Liaison Officer, High Rise Division; and Darius Rybak, Vice President, Operations, Aspen Ridge Homes to meet with a number of community representatives, including Friends of the Foundry as well as the two co-chairs of the West Don Lands Committee and a Senior Advisor from the Ward 13 Councillor's Office.

Here is what we learned:

Overview​

Current plans for the site are covered by Aspen Ridge's March 2023 presentation to the Waterfront Design Review Panel. In brief, the two remaining heritage buildings will be retained and integrated into a site with three towers: one of 43 stories, one of 34 stories, and one of 18 stories. We strongly encourage you to refer to the 2023 presentation linked above to get the details.

As we already knew, they will build to the density specified in the Minister's Zoning Order. This order cannot be changed or appealed, even through court action.

Affordable Housing​

• Aspen Ridge will own and operate the affordable housing component of the development (at least 25% of units)

Community Space & POPS (Privately-owned Public Spaces)​

• Aspen Ridge will own/operate POPs but is receptive to community input on design and use
  • Aspen Ridge will transfer ownership of community space to the City
    • Aspen Ridge will consult with community representatives to discuss plans for the community space
    • Community space will be separate, with independent infrastructure

Construction Schedule​

• Overall schedule is driven by a 7-year deadline re affordable housing:
    • Planning/permitting for the rest of 2023
    • Work on heritage structures begins summer 2024
    • Unit sales begin spring 2024
    • Excavation and construction begin spring 2025
    • Completion by 2029

Neighbourhood Infrastructure​

• Aspen Ridge is willing to join a community-based lobby to influence the Province and City to address the lack of school facilities and other infrastructure/community needs when necessary

Condition of Site​

• Aspen Ridge will ensure that Indigo Park keep the site and surroundings clean and litter-free

Relationship​

• Aspen Ridge will hold a design charrette with the community to assist in the design process of ground floor/circulation elements
  • Giorgio Gianniotti will serve as primary liaison with the community:
    • He will forward community issues/inquiries to the appropriate contact within Aspen Ridge
    • He will share project information with the community

A school would be great, since the other one nearby will be full the day it opens, if it ever does, given it has to wait for subway construction.

Overview​

Current plans for the site are covered by Aspen Ridge's March 2023 presentation to the Waterfront Design Review Panel. In brief, the two remaining heritage buildings will be retained and integrated into a site with three towers: one of 43 stories, one of 34 stories, and one of 18 stories. We strongly encourage you to refer to the 2023 presentation linked above to get the details.

As we already knew, they will build to the density specified in the Minister's Zoning Order. This order cannot be changed or appealed, even through court action.

Affordable Housing​

• Aspen Ridge will own and operate the affordable housing component of the development (at least 25% of units)

Some details from the DRP slides on the Affordable Housing component... (minimum of 264 units) - no details on how long they need to remain affordable.

1684966931552.png

Last edited:
As we (or Ford) seem keen to get on with building housing at any cost - the land was sold by the government - it is interesting how long this application is taking working through the process.

If the architecture of the new portions of the site will be this uninspired and lazy, why even bother with the retention of the heritage?
Ughhhhh.

That alternate massing study… How is that even serious?
There is a reason they didn't try to render that to be photo-realistic. I can't imagine how that POP space would work.

If the architecture of the new portions of the site will be this uninspired and lazy, why even bother with the retention of the heritage?
Don't suggest getting rid of the heritage... the heritage is the most eye catching aspect of the building.

My point was not that the heritage component should be done away with. Quite the opposite - that real care should be taken in doing something with the new construction that rises to the level of the heritage. Instead they are proposing something entirely generic.

Back