I really object to X's enormous mechanical box and still have no idea why it's so bloody big. Why couldn't it have been integrated into the building's envelope with some sort of parapet? Such a shame. It basically ruins the building for me.

I really object to X's enormous mechanical box and still have no idea why it's so bloody big. Why couldn't it have been integrated into the building's envelope with some sort of parapet? Such a shame. It basically ruins the building for me.

Seriously? Still harping about this? Where was the uproar about 252 Sackville (Regent Park Ph.1)? The mechanical box on that building is just as big if not bigger and stands out a lot more than X's. X is beautiful from head to toe and one of the most elegant high-rises to grace our city in the last 20 years.

Up close, X has a visual effect that is very powerful-- something that CASA has no more than any other condo these days.

From far away, CASA is more pleasant.

To be fair X doesn't photograph as well from a distance. To the eye, X looks much better when viewed from afar.

Here's what I recommend you do: Get in a car--a taxi, a stolen car :p, your x's car--and drive down Mt Pleasant, round the bend at Jarvis, and gasp....! It's that dramatic. (The last time I did that, me and a taxi driver almost had a crash, as he too suddenly realized how stunning X is.)

Seriously? Still harping about this? Where was the uproar about 252 Sackville (Regent Park Ph.1)? The mechanical box on that building is just as big if not bigger and stands out a lot more than X's. X is beautiful from head to toe and one of the most elegant high-rises to grace our city in the last 20 years.

But in my opinion, The difference is enormous. X is stunning art, with a blemish and 252 Sackville is forgettable with a blemish.

A comparison is a Super Model with an ugly nose and some lady shopping at Wal-Mart with an ugly nose. One is so close to perfect and the other it really doesn't matter anyway.

Here's what I recommend you do: Get in a car--a taxi, a stolen car :p, your x's car--and drive down Mt Pleasant, round the bend at Jarvis, and gasp....! It's that dramatic. (The last time I did that, me and a taxi driver almost had a crash, as he too suddenly realized how stunning X is.)

That is very dramatic indeed. Reminds me of when I was young when we'd drive downtown coming along Rosedale Valley Road then up Park Road and suddenly there was the Hotel Plaza II, CIBC & The Bay towers way above. They're not X but it was impressive as a youngster.

Especially when it is viewed in its crowded surroundings.

Crowded surroundings at Jarvis & Charles? Hardly.

If you want to talk about crowded, Kowloon City was crowded:

80klnwcity_figure12_large.jpg

found via: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=55357

I just hope those concrete columns are getting properly adorned. The bare columns on Murano are bad enough but here they utterly destroy whatever Miesian illusions this design was seeking to convey.

walked by today and caught a glimpse of the lobby...looks really nice...the walls inside are completely covered in wha I believe to be either marble or granite...and I like how the elevators are set up like th office buildings downtown...they're hidden in a huge column...hard to explain.

This one's a beauty.

Sidewalk along Charles St. E. being reconstructed this week. Black granite wall in front of the townhouses coming along. Potted trees added to the roof (i.e. 3rd floor outdoor amenity area).

Last edited:

Back