Status: Of 160 shoring beams, 30 remain as of Tuesday morning, November 6. They are averaging 3 a day Monday-Friday. At this rate, they should finish by the end of next week, and the the "Big Dig" can start.

The big crane is scheduled to arrive the end of January.

The sales office is rumoured to reopen by the end of this month. It will be interesting to see if Great Gulf will be promoting any energy-efficient features to compete with Monarch's couture next door. They are under 60 % sold, which is a bit weak in my opinion. Compare the popularity of Tridel's new project on Sherbourne just a skip away.

Thanks for the info! How did you find out this information?
What is under 60% sold? X or Couture?

sales

Hey Jmac

Thanks for the update, curious to know where you got your information from on the sales status? Last time I checked, they were in the 70-75% range with roughly 100 units remaining and certain units have not been released....

Status: Of 160 shoring beams, 30 remain as of Tuesday morning, November 6. They are averaging 3 a day Monday-Friday. At this rate, they should finish by the end of next week, and the the "Big Dig" can start.

The big crane is scheduled to arrive the end of January.

The sales office is rumoured to reopen by the end of this month. It will be interesting to see if Great Gulf will be promoting any energy-efficient features to compete with Monarch's couture next door. They are under 60 % sold, which is a bit weak in my opinion. Compare the popularity of Tridel's new project on Sherbourne just a skip away.

Thanks for the info! How did you find out this information?
What is under 60% sold? X or Couture?

It's got to be X, Couture hasn't gone on sale yet. I also thought the figures for X were higher, in the 70's somewhere. X has had a new advertising campaign since September announcing that they are releasing a new series of layouts for Christmas, or "X-Mas" as the ads read.

On Feb, 17, 2007, shortly before the X condo sales office closed, the suite availability board indicated that 261 of 403 units had been sold. This works out to 65%. Allison Harness wrote in The Star on September 1, 2007 that 56% of the units have been sold.

http://www.thestar.com/article/250820

I wonder whether Great Gulf's narrow focus on design is a bit shortsighted, given the rising popularity of energy-efficient features and LEED buildings offered by rival developers (e.g., Tridel, Minto). It seems their buildings are selling faster.

At one time I was interested in buying at X but I wasn't crazy about the location. I wonder how much that factors in to the sluggish sales...

I liked the units, even if the names were a little too knowing, mies/eames? , but the prices were a little steep, let-alone the 30k for a parking spot....

On Feb, 17, 2007, shortly before the X condo sales office closed, the suite availability board indicated that 261 of 403 units had been sold. This works out to 65%. Allison Harness wrote in The Star on September 1, 2007 that 56% of the units have been sold.

http://www.thestar.com/article/250820

I wonder whether Great Gulf's narrow focus on design is a bit shortsighted, given the rising popularity of energy-efficient features and LEED buildings offered by rival developers (e.g., Tridel, Minto). It seems their buildings are selling faster.

I'm surprised they were able to secure financing with sales that low. If a great building with good suites like X can't do better I wonder if Couture can pull it off at that location. I recall seeing some brand new suites still available at Bloor Walk on MLS last summer.

X Condo

I got a hold on the price list for Couture and it is more expensive than the X so it'll be interesting to see where sales head when the new sales office opens and how they go about pricing their units.

I'm still however surprised that the sales figures are that low, in any event, I'm pretty confident that it will be a successful building for a sales standpoint. It could be just my opinion but having LEED features is not always on the top of everyone's wish list.

From my experience, if the condo has it, then great, if not, not a big deal either.

It's got to be X, Couture hasn't gone on sale yet.

I'm surprised they were able to secure financing with sales that low. If a great building with good suites like X can't do better I wonder if Couture can pull it off at that location.

Couture already has a significant number of pre-sales lined up.

I'm still however surprised that the sales figures are that low, in any event, I'm pretty confident that it will be a successful building for a sales standpoint. It could be just my opinion but having LEED features is not always on the top of everyone's wish list.

In many cases LEED is still not an economical feature for developers to include in their projects - buyers aren't yet prepared to pay the additional premium in large numbers unless they really understand the program and the long-term paybacks. It takes quite a bit of education and multiple visits to the sales office to get over that hump of the additional upfront capital costs. But the pendulum has started to shift the last year or so.

Tridel and Minto are the two real industry leaders from a green perspective... or Reid's Heritage Homes if you are looking at low-rise (they recently built the first LEED-Platinum home on Ontario and are now building an entire subdivision with geo-thermal heating/cooling).

At one time I was interested in buying at X but I wasn't crazy about the location. I wonder how much that factors in to the sluggish sales...

i'm curious what you didnt like about the location? I can only guess you didnt like fronting onto a main thoroughfare/intersection? At a quick glance the location seems prime to me....

i'm curious what you didnt like about the location? I can only guess you didnt like fronting onto a main thoroughfare/intersection? At a quick glance the location seems prime to me....

I would like to know, too. I went to see the site and the location seems prime to me, too...

It IS a pretty good location, but just not for me.

I prefer being one block away from EVERYTHING (I like/want/need) rather than a few blocks away from SOME things (I like/want/need). Just my personal preference.

And there's much more life/hustle bustle/pedestrian traffic at Yonge & Charles than Jarvis & Charles.

If I were in the market looking to buy right now I'd choose Casa over X also. Casa is better located if one doesn't have a car, that stretch of Charles St. between Church & Yonge is much nicer (with a parkette next door), it's close to Yonge Street yet 500 metres helps break the noise from there and the subway is closer. Most importantly Casa is in a much quieter area being on a one way street as opposed to being at the busy Jarvis & Charles/Mt. Pleasant intersection. Both buildings have comparable quality floorplans, will offer good views and have very similar amenities.

But if I compare Couture to Casa, Monarch is a more reputable builder than Cresford don't you think?

Back