I dont know about that... that's a pretty tiny area for a new development. If I recall correctly that property is sandwiched between 'X' and a newish looking condo that's about 10storeys high. So unless that thing gets torn down, I doubt there will be a new development in that small space.

Here's a great picture from "jmacmillan" (hope he doesnt mind):

3186109990_ca8626dde9.jpg

The post above is the reason for the blank wall. Since X is being built right up to the property line, it has to have a firewall separating it from the adjacent property in case of future development. Otherwise, they would require a 6 metre setback or an agreement with the neighbouring property to 'sterilize' that property to prevent future development.

From what I recall the house to the West of X is historical and cannot be taken down for another development. But I might be mistaken.

From what I recall the house to the West of X is historical and cannot be taken down for another development. But I might be mistaken.

That's the Gerstein Centre. I don't know if this has historical designation or not but Urbandb shows a 2004, 11 storey condo proposal.

on second thought, after seeing how slim the Museum house project is, I suppose you might be able to fit something like that right beside 'X'. Though that's going to be an extremely tight fit between X and that beige building to the west.

The box on the roof really detracts from the sleek glass box aesthetic. One can only hope that was an early rendering which was refined.

the white mechanical box has got to go. i'm sure it will be covered up. even still, the design of this building outdoes most of its condo sisters in this city.

Another tasteful square minimalist box. At least it eschews spectacle in keeping with the Toronto context.

Hmm. That building "behind it" must count for something in terms of context for X.

This seems like a spot where restraint will help balance the architecture surrounding this corner. Meanwhile dashes of colour in the black cladding will speak somewhat to the exuberance on display on the southeast corner...

Yes, I agree now that I look closer. Simple will work well here and both buildings will benefit.

Back