How does one convert a ladder into a residence?

latter ... not ladder :p

I believe this has been discussed at several points throughout the thread, but you are correct. The building resembles many office buildings designed by Mis Van Der Rohe, including those in Chicago, Toronto, and Westmount (Montreal). The latter of which has since been converted into residential uses.

Definition according to http://www.dictionary.net/: ;)

Latter \Lat"ter\, a. [OE. later, l[ae]tter, compar. of lat late. See Late, and cf. Later.]

1. Later; more recent; coming or happening after something else; -- opposed to former; as, the former and latter rain.

2. Of two things, the one mentioned second.

The difference between reason and revelation, and in what sense the latter is superior. --I. Watts.

3. Recent; modern.

Hath not navigation discovered in these latter ages, whole nations at the bay of Soldania? --Locke.

4. Last; latest; final. [R.]

``My latter gasp.'' --Shak.

I believe this has been discussed at several points throughout the thread, but you are correct. The building resembles many office buildings designed by Mis Van Der Rohe, including those in Chicago, Toronto, and Westmount (Montreal). The latter of which has since been converted into residential uses.

At least one of the Mies towers in Montreal has always been residential.

At least one of the Mies towers in Montreal has always been residential.

As have these

866294230_9b32f1abd4.jpg

The renderings really played up this building's Mies knock-off angle. In reality, it makes a poor imitation.

International-style buildings (I'm told) like the TD Centre come from an ethos of honesty: honesty about how the building was built, and honesty about what it was built for. Internationalists were big form-follows-function people.

But X The Condo is a bit disingenuous all-around. For one thing, it's a condo that's masquerading as an office building. That might be neat if it actually kept up the pretense - as some of the Mies residences pictured above do. But it makes concessions in the form of balconies that break up facade and ruin the strong, repetitive look that made Mies' canonical buildings so strong.

It's also disingenuous about *how* it was made. The TD Centre wears its bones on the outside: structural steel is exposed, and is part of the building's look as well as its structure. X is just another concrete condo, but wearing a disguise. Problem is, with those white-painted balconies, it's not a very good disguise. It's not just attempting to pull a stylistic fast one, it's doing a half-hearted job.

This matters for the simple reason that we've got the TD Centre - a globally significant piece of architecture - here in town. We all know it, and we all see the allusion here. (After all, that's why we're having this conversation.)

If it weren't for the TD Centre, it would be easier to take this odd-duck design - cladding, balconies, roof mechanical, funny colours and all - on its own merits. But since it borrows fashions - but not the ideas behind them - from a famous building, it's hard to overlook.

(Incidentally, I read that the international style was a rejection of historicism. Ironic, then, that postmodern architecture seems to enjoy appropriating styles that rejected historicism, because - well, nowadays, they seem appealingly old-timey.)

You may be putting Mies on too high a pedestal, Sir Novelty Fashion. I think he's fair game for architects to tackle/pay homage to. Also, the I-beams on the exterior of Mies' TD Centre and other like-minded buildings of his are not structural. While they 'express' the buildings' structure, they are, in fact, ornamental.

As for the balconies at X, have patience. Based on the couple of railings already installed, it seems that they're being handled quite well. Finally, for me, the playful strips of colour make sense as they signal that the building is more a 're-interpretation' than a 'copy' of Mies.

I think X is becoming more beautiful as it rises. Thanks for the great pics, drum118.

Last edited:
X and Mies, Colour, Imitation and Icon

Whether we consider Clewes’ treatment of X an homage to Mies or a superficial, mock-international gimmick, the benefits of the practical Miesien elements remain: skin, bones and space. We see the advantage of employing a style that’s based on less rather than more: More of the essence of the style is captured in the imitation, whether this imitation is grounded in architectural rigour (and expense) or not. Whether one thinks X is a gimmick or a genuflection, the international style advantages stand: the nobility of a black skin of steel and glass, the freedom of a floating tower above an open-pedestal foundation, and the intimacy of boundary-less suites that yield to a dynamic metropolis from floor to ceiling.

I think Mies would have approved of Clewes’ treatment of the outdoor garden/recreational extension that pulls away from the tower like a finely crafted drawer. It’s efficient and elegant. The tower finds balance (below) and breath (above), and in the same gesture.

In addition to the Mondrian relationship with Mies' own formative era, the colour bars speak of the way primaries were used in Mies' day to distinguish colour products in the market place from black & white ones:
colcarbx.jpg

http://www.rarebeatles.com/photopg2/colcarbx.jpg

In this respect, Clewes is not only paying homage to Mies' timeless work in Toronto, but working with some of the popular elements in the visual language of that day and upgrading a mono-chromactic icon at the same time. And it's a residence, so it's fitting that it's facade reflect that vitality, as opposed to the ledger-like uniformity of a financial building.

Residential architecture is full of stunning designs that are inspiring, but unlivable and/or prohibitively expensive to maintain: Fallingwater and Farnsworth come to mind. X may be self-conscious, but its fortunate residents will find it Xtremely livable, and, ultimately, affordable. X’s new, on-the-street, self-consciousness is born of an awe and respect for the undeniable architectural power of the TD centre, like a young child’s awe and respect for their much older, wiser sibling. As X matures into the rejuvenating landscape of Jarvis Street, it too, may well find its own iconic status one day.

The X colour scheme combines CYMK colour printing ( cyan, magenta, yellow, black ) with Mondrian's Broadway Boogie Woogie colour scheme - which includes white, as per X's balconies.

Based on the couple of railings already installed, it seems that they're being handled quite well.

x2

The railings looks excellent. I normally hate balconies on buildings (Juliet only please), but these are being treated quite nicely.

You may be putting Mies on too high a pedestal, Sir Novelty Fashion. I think he's fair game for architects to tackle/pay homage to. Also, the I-beams on the exterior of Mies' TD Centre and other like-minded buildings of his are not structural. While they 'express' the buildings' structure, they are, in fact, ornamental.

Well, I guess it's true that everyone is fair game to be tackled. But not all homages are equal. Some take away the best ideas of their sources. Others take away the superficial willy-nilly, but don't take the rigour.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the i-beams are ornamental, not structural. They might not be holding the building up alone, but it doesn't mean they're butter icing. Steel-frame buildings have, well, a steel frame.

As for X - I'm willing to evaluate it on its own merits once it's up and the details like the railings are on. Hopefully it will do its own thing well enough to set itself apart.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that the i-beams are ornamental, not structural. They might not be holding the building up alone, but it doesn't mean they're butter icing. Steel-frame buildings have, well, a steel frame.

It was the "ornamental" I-beams that led to whatever "Mies the Post-Modernist" mythmaking back when Pomo was all the rage and Philip Johnson was holding his Chippendale on the cover of Time...

x2

The railings looks excellent. I normally hate balconies on buildings (Juliet only please), but these are being treated quite nicely.

I agree that the balconies on X are quite well done. While some may find Juliet balconies to be tidier looking, I certainly appreciate the full-sized balcony in my unit. It extends my living space in the summer months and is, in effect, my yard - I'm on it right now :) I cannot imagine buying another unit without one.

Back