What's X ?- from what we can tell X2 is going to be a duplicate from X so whomever it's designed by it's going to look the same.

Taal, the architect's firm is in the title of every thread. X is aA, which is Peter Clewes. X2 is Rudy Wallman... if nothing has changed. He was chosen to design X2 back before it was called X2, and the line drawings that were submitted to the city with the Application were his. Those drawings indicated a similar building, but with staggered mullions: it was not an attempt to be another X at that point.

Since that time, the accolades for X have poured in and Great Gulf has decided that the new building should look more like X. Did they change architects when they changed the design? I don't know: X2 does not show up on either aA's website or Wallman's.

While X2 will likely look very much the same, at this point it is not looking identical, so a sister rather than a twin sister.

I look forward to finding out for certain at some point whether X2 was handed over to aA when it was redesigned, or whether Rudy was retained and asked for a reproduction Clewes.

Right,

Either way, as it stands - it seems they're going to look similar.

I'm in agreement with you here: not that just any hunk of junk should be put on a balcony, but the bits and pieces of people's lives that we see through balcony railings and plate glass windows adds life to a city. If every balcony had the same furniture on it, if every window had the same drapes, we'd be looking at a city of hotels.

Sure, but with some all glass towers, you see little beyond people's stuff and the damn mechanical box on the roof. X at least offers its black cladding with bits of colour to offer it some visual identity beyond the stuff on balconies and will still seem "lived in".

Agreed: one still wants to have the finest architectural designs we can afford to frame our messy lives.

I was down at the Cheery Beach soccer fields on Saturday morning with my camera and took a couple of shots. X looking good

November142009331.jpg

WHOAH!!!.. Wicked shot!!!

That doesn't even look like the Toronto skyline! (well actually... it sorta does)

But sick shot!!!

X has a HUGE impact on the skyline from than angle...

Good stuff :D

The roof deck of my building is closing for 4-6 weeks for the installation of new perimeter panels so I'll try to get up and grab some shots of X, Casa, Blu etc. before that happens.

X today from the south, north-east, west and towns, respectively. Mostly shots of how the balconies are progressing.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Back