But it was an expression of "steel", if that makes sense.

Expressing structural steel with steel cladding - rather than bronze - would have been a more honest reflection of material use. Or stopping - after the concrete layer that encased the steel had been applied - and not cladding it with metal at all. Producing a few concrete towers might have snapped Mies out of the rather elegant rut he'd gotten himself into.

I've always been rather fond of that funky brick-clad war memorial he did in the '20s:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...erlin-Friedrichsfelde,_Revolutionsdenkmal.jpg

Cladding is almost complete on the 7th floor. They are pouring the supports and floor of the 19th floor. It's really looking great so far.

June 18th Update

Looking mighty damn fine...

Can anyone confirm if X has a 13th floor? Remember when doing floor counts that the lobby counts as two floors, so the next level up is the 3rd floor.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Looking good! Once 18 goes up it will be interesting to see if you can tell the height difference with the added foot per floor.

Does anyone know how they will be treating the balcony undersides? Painted black? Left alone?

Does anyone know how they will be treating the balcony undersides? Painted black? Left alone?

I've been wondering that too. I'm confident something will be done with it, this is aA after all.

X from above.

3649427012_d98895a06f_b.jpg

3649429428_c09556a459_b.jpg

Great pics! Im guessing you took them from the apartment building at the corner of Bloor & Jarvis?

And it looks like they're currently working on the 19th floor.

i would have liked to see this building be completely black. i suppose the architects wanted to distance themselves from the td centre, at least slightly, while at the same time paying homage to a classic. still, an excellent addition to the skyline that greatly enhances a pretty drab area of town. i think this influx of elegant towers is going to have christopher hume weak at the knees.

The blues, reds and yellows of Broadway Boogie Woogie. Mies and Mondrian.

A nice counterpoint to Spire's zippy verticals.

X is looking good.....just imagine how good it will look when it is almost the same height as Casa........

Higher Ceiling Floors

Walked by on the weekend and saw they are starting the 19th floor. As of the
18th floor the ceiling heights are 9ft in the units and one can see the difference if you stand a little back on Charles St looking up at X. The sales office referred to floors 19-34 as the Big Boy floors (upgraded and higher ceilings)but of course the real biog boy floors will be as of 35 with the Scarpa and Mies units! Mike in TO that posted recent photos..thank you..excellent!!This is going to be The stunner of Condo buildings in the city. Barry..you are so right..Mr.Hume just , just..maybe speechleess once this beautiful building is completed..it may even garner a A rating from him..lets wait and see.

Back