After admiring it from down the street for the past few weeks I finally got the time today to actually walk by X, and was astounded at the poor quality of the exterior panels, especially at the corners. The southwest corner of the building was particularly bad, with everything being so crooked and out of plumb that it gives the edge of the building a choppy look. I guess it could possibly be fixed from the outside off a swing stage later, but I can't see them going to the bother. Kind of disappointing tho, that the supposed homage to Mies is so poorly executed.

I was looking at the pictures and could not see an example of this crooked execution. Can you provide examples?

Sidewalk vs parking entrance

On a second note, I noticed nice sidewalks going up to the West of the house beside the X towns. I wonder what else is going behind there, other than the golf put range for X.

From what I've seen, the sidewalk is a narrow street that I think will be the entrance of the cars to the parking which will be located rigth behind the townhouses. You can see clearly the entrance to the parking levels on one of the photos of the townhouses.

on request from XBOYZ, here are the east and south views. (sorry they are crappy pics which is why I didnt post them earlier)

3947592049_4ec42b367c.jpg

3947592533_2802c6fba4.jpg

From what I've seen, the sidewalk is a narrow street that I think will be the entrance of the cars to the parking which will be located rigth behind the townhouses. You can see clearly the entrance to the parking levels on one of the photos of the townhouses.

The sidewalk I am refering to is on the WEST side of the old house next to the X towns. Not the lane right behind the X towns.

my impression is also that the laneway to the west of the old house will be the entrance for cars. I didnt really recall seeing a sidealk as such as you describe. Maybe if you could provide a picture of what you are talking about there would be less confusion...

it is in fact a laneway (a pretty wide one) for the cars for an entrance off charles and I believe an exit off jarvis

there is a sidewalk on both sides of the driveway which also extends and wraps around the putting green area.

I don't have a picture but was on the site a few days ago

X is becoming quite dominant in the view east from the Danforth. Along with Casa, fills up the space quite nicely.

The north east corner of Broadview and Danforth provides an excellent vantage point for Clewespotters to admire the emerging Madame X - standing before the handsome Casa in all her glory.

I think it's now time to introduce the real Madame X that inspired Clewes (all this talk about Mies was simply a smokescreen).

"Madame X" by John Singer Sargent (1884)

Sargent_MadameX.jpg

from an essay by Lynette Abel (www.lynetteabel.org/art.html:)

"One of the first things that struck me about Madame X was the stark contrast between black and white. There is assertion and showiness in the expanse of very white skin, from her high forehead down her graceful neck, shoulders, and arms. At the same time, though the black of her dress is bold, it is also receding, deep, mysterious. She is surrounded too by brown, which while accenting the muted, is not just recessive--its rich color has both glow and shadow..... I have been asking as I looked at this painting, "What does it mean to show off gracefully?" "

Back