I am quite confident in the ability of Great Gulf and Hariri Pontarini - they've got a track record to back them up. What did we get from CS and G&C? A history of architectural junk - RoCP, DNA, Newport Beach, etc. You don't need a line drawing to tell you that.

AoD

It kinda bugs me that developers will catch onto architectural trends.. there are so many in TO:
-Pixie Sticks (like OCAD)
-Randomly placed Boxes (a-la King Charlotte, etc)
-Now sketched-out balconies

If anyone can think of any more, pls feel free to add.

Well, wing-like finials serving no conceivable purposes (a la Riveria) were real popular for awhile - and it's still used in some quarters (e.g. 1 Cole by D+S)

Also:

Random vertical "slot" windows
Coloured window glazing

AoD

It looks like a P+S or aA balconied box was pinned down by its teammates in a locker room and initiated onto the team with unsteadily-held hair clippers.

It kinda bugs me that developers will catch onto architectural trends.. there are so many in TO:

Nondescript boxes with wraparound balconies?

Last edited:
I wonder if a contrasting colour scheme a-la Nautilus would help this design at all?
I guess I'd have to see it in colour to decide.

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe black on silver would look very striking. I was also wondering how it would look with hard edges on the cut out part, almost like a vertical zig zag.

Yep, these cover my three design peeves.

Pyramids. Or rounded arches. Or pointed arches. Or domes.

Some of these proposal renderings have little relevance to the final product. Backstage for example just showed a vague box. The final design was way superior.

Back