I agree about the crown-- I quite like Simpson Tower.

Very sharp looking reno. I generally don't like the idea of altering the appearance of buildings so dramatically, but in this case I must admit it will be a welcome change.

Good to see there'll be two less fugly buildings in the city after this is done.
The Simpson tower has some merit but the Toronto Star's building is just a fugly POS. I'd rather have another dull green glass box then that thing in its spot. Something needs to be done about it and not just on the ground level.

^ No, they had owned it at one time, back in the 1990s, but sold it and leased it back. The owner now is Osmington Inc., a real estate investment firm.

RioCan, the owner of the Yonge Eglinton Centre, a prominent complex in Toronto's midtown, is preparing to expand the centre up and out with a $100 Million redevelopment and revitalization. The centre is composed of two office towers above a podium which includes a shopping mall and multi-screen cinema. The centre is connected underground to the Eglinton subway station. Page + Steele / IBI Group Architects have been engaged to expand and renovate the shopping mall, add new floors to the top of the towers, and reclad them.

YECTowers.jpg

The centre will sport 27 and 37-storey towers which currently stand 22 and 30 storeys. New floors are being added above the existing mechanical penthouses. Those mechanical floors will end up creating a cruciform pattern with the new cladding pattern when seen from the southeast such as in the rendering above. At street level the pedestrian plaza at the corner of the eponymous streets will be reduced in size as the retail podium of the building is expanded with the addition of 'The Cube'.

YECCorner750.jpg

YECCornerLookNorth.jpg

The portion of the Cube fronting Eglinton will bring large retail windows and entryways right to the sidewalk.

YECCornerEglinton.jpg

Along Yonge Street a smaller square will remain with room enough for outdoor acitivites and seating.

YECCornerYonge.jpg

The Cube will have a stage integrated to make street parties and concerts possible in the square.

YECConcertStage750.jpg

Renovations to the mall's interior will leave the space brighter and easier to navigate.

YECAtrium.jpg

YECEscalators.jpg

The project's official website features several videos, further images, and many more details about the project, including extensive information regarding green initiatives being implemented to bring the complex in line with today's concerns and expectations.

The Yonge-Eglinton Centre as it currently stands:

YECAerial.jpg

This looks to be an excellent project that will really enhance Yonge & Eglinton.

My only concern sometime ago was that the open air would be encroached. But the Cube is only a few stories high with a rooftop patio and if the entryways are large as mentioned then it won't feel closed off or closed in. Although perhaps due to a lack of effort by RioCan in the past, the square is vastly underutilized and is just a glorified short cut. By the renders, it looks pedestrian friendly, adds life to the corner, and doesn't overwhelm in size.

I can see Aroma taking location on the east side with open patio seating. I hope the rest of the retail is exciting and that HSBC stays where it is or if it must be prominent then be in plain sight on the second floor. Or all the retail on the NE corner moves in here while that corner becomes redeveloped...

I'm quite excited by this project, but a little worried about the mysterious reappearance of "the piano" in the last render shot (2nd last image). The last time that enigmatic apparition appeared in a local proposal (I believe it was a previous Union Station redo.) it didn't have the desired effect of propelling our abilities to new heights like the monolith in "2001", and the proposal died on the vine.

(Note: probably only older forum members will know wtf I'm talking about.)

The renderings are nice and all, but I'm admittedly not a huge fan of so drastically changing the appearance of such prominent buildings. These buildings are the First Canadian Place of midtown, and especially because the towers aren't even ugly, I think that the height increase should mirror the existing design.

So again, nice renderings, but either build a new tower to look like that, or apply the design to a more nondescript building instead.

Time for a radical change. Especially at ground level. The street furniture around here is appalling, given the average income for the area. That library nearby needs to meet its maker for something more glamourous. Those apartments need a boost as well-very ghetto.

Back