from page 2 of the report.....
This report reviews and recommends approval of the application to amend the Zoning
By-law.

Good!

Interesting stuff. I work in the Y-E center and would like to see some more shops there.

ps. Was just downstairs for lunch and saw Tie Domi walk through the mall... does he live in Toronto, and if not what is he doing here?

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/canada/toronto/story.html?id=2659918
Square's days are running out

Plan for Yonge and Eglinton set to be approved

Peter Kuitenbrouwer, National Post Published: Tuesday, March 09, 2010

The public space located on the northwest corner of Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue. Aaron Lynett, National Post The public space located on the northwest corner of Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue.

For 42 years, north Toronto residents have enjoyed a square at the northwest corner of Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue.

Back in 1968, the city sold a public street just north of Eglinton at Yonge to a developer and allowed the builder to eliminate it, and erect on the site two office towers, as well as residences. Bylaw 110-68, passed April 10, 1968, is clear: The rezoning that permitted the towers exempted a strip of land 115-feet wide, between 2300 Eglinton Avenue and the sidewalk of Eglinton Avenue West. That strip is now the square.
Well that's too bad, albeit typical. One of my big complaints about Toronto is the lack of public space, especially in contrast the often draconian private rules. You want to eat in a food court? Only if you buy it there...and only for max 20 minutes. As opposed to many in this thread, apparently, when I was at Yonge and Eglinton, I loved that space. This article also states that the majority of the community opposes the development.

I like the space, it's just that it's not very useful... more could have been done with it.

You're right, so much more could have been done with it - trees, benches, planters. I think RioCan neglected the square purposely so they could get this expansion passed. That being said, I do like their expansion plans and appreciate they left some modicum of a square - which they'll actually do something with.

Yeah. Toronto lacks so much public space. Like walking down the like, sidewalk, crossing the street, like man I'm so bummed out when I realize it's private space!

Why not have a mall built in your apartment, too? You could have a bedroom, get up and shop, maybe a shower you have to pay to use--definitely any toilet use is charged ("for customers only"). Why not, right?

I hardly think infrastructure counts as public space, really. Especially with sidewalks as small as Toronto's.

Last edited:
I think RioCan neglected the square purposely so they could get this expansion passed.

I think that's a little harsh: it's likely just that RioCan hasn't sunk any money into it in the short time that they have owned it only because they planned to redevelop it anyway: why spend any money on something they would likely tear down soon after? Had RioCan not been allowed to redevelop the square, it is quite likely that a refurbishment would have been on order at that point: with a full recladding of the buildings coming to make the vertical expansion of the towers disappear, what developer would let a frumpy old square remain so as the forecourt to such a gleaming new flagship property for them?

^
I disagree.
If Brookfield Place was planning renovations 3 years from now would it be okay if they neglected their courtyard, stopped planting flowers, removed all the benches and just let the pigeons take over?
I have lived at or near Yonge & Eglinton since 1994 and the neglect of the square the last 2-3 years certainly seems to be related to the desire by RioCan to build there.

Last edited:
Property Rights

Often overlooked is the fact that this is not public space. Is it Riocan's property. The City should turn the TTC yard across the street into a park until they build it if they want to utilize their resources to the public's benefit or better retain a portion of it specifically for the public.

This is private property just like your own back yard. Riocan deserves the same rights to private property as you do.

Often overlooked is the fact that this is not public space. Is it Riocan's property. The City should turn the TTC yard across the street into a park until they build it if they want to utilize their resources to the public's benefit or better retain a portion of it specifically for the public.

This is private property just like your own back yard. Riocan deserves the same rights to private property as you do.

It's not the same thing. If I'm buying a house that the previous owners built with special permission from the city to build a larger home in exchange for allowing the public to use the back yard and keep it beautiful, then once I take ownership of the house, I am under the same obligation to allow the public to keep the yard and maintain it's beauty. It's pretty nefarious of me to move in, roll up the grass, remove the swing set and allow a hundred pigeons to crap there then turn to the city and say, "Hey, look no one's using my back yard, can I build a Florida room there and charge the public to come sit in the Florida room once it's built?"

Ok, weird comparison, I know, but that's essentially what RioCan did.

CN Tower, though I have no strong feelings about the square, your argument is weak. First of all, there are all sorts of limitations on the use of private property, and within the context of a large city these are legitimate and needed. When you say "rights to private property" you must take into account that homeowners can't even tear down a tree in their yard without permission.

Secondly, your argument overlooks the history of the development of the site by which a public was closed and turned over to the private sector, the quid pro quo being a public square.

We lived in North Toronto for thirty years, the first few years just south of Eglinton, and the last 23 years north of Eglinton. From my recollection, in that entire time, the Yonge Eglinton Centre plaza received one minor facelift, appoximately 15 - 20 years ago, with minimal maintenance before or since. A couple of planters near the corner would typically have spring flowers installed, but that would be about it. Oh yes - almost forgot to mention the digital advertising sign that was installed by the corner several years ago. Having lived in the area for this length of time, I can add, from personal experience being there, the plaza has hardly any human traffic, except along the sidewalks and at the corner. Much of the year it is desolate and frequently windswept. The one time the plaza came to life was about ten or so years ago, when the concourse level underwent a major renovation, and the food court was closed. During that period, tents were set up on the plaza, with food and beverage services, and the plaza came to life - afternoons and evenings it was alive with people. Once the renovations were over, the temporary facilities on the plaza were removed, and the area died again.

The number of Luddites in North Toronto is amazing. Each new development - the Minto Towers, the new apartment buildings at Lawrence and Roselawn as two other examples - generate a 'sky is falling' attitude among a portion of the residents. The real impact from these developments has been minimal.

Having lived there, and seen what in my opinion is the waste of space that the current (and for the past 30 years) the plaza has been, I look forward to the redevelopment of the plaza into something which both content which brings life to the area, and functions on a year round basis. My opinion anyway....

AHK

That plaza is an eyesore and a joke! Who the hell wants to stand around there? There's a perfectly fine park right around the corner!

FWIW I passed this location about 1:00 PM today and counted close to a hundred people sitting and standing around enjoying the weather.

Back