this needs to wait until the DRL is completed. period. I would love it if the province decided to build this, while the city funded the DRL at the same time, with both extensions opening on the same day, in 2022, 2023, or 2024.

At Langstaff station, why on earth have they put the stormwater retention pond between the subway entrance and the commuter parking? There has to be a better way that minimizes the walking distance for commuters.

Sometimes you don't really have much of a choice with stuff like that. The site may be graded in such a way that it needs to go there, because SWM ponds need to be located at more or less the lowest point on a site (yes, some grading can be done to change it, but by and large). Water doesn't flow uphill very well.

I noticed that there was also a pond on the west side. So my guess is they're going to grade the site in such a way that half the parking lot flows east, and the other half flows west. The site probably has some sort of a natural ridge in the middle that made building one big pond on the west side impossible without trucking in a huge amount of fill.

I know that when I'm doing site plan designs for subdivisions, in a lot of cases I need to design my subdivision around the SWM pond. It complicates things for sure, and sometimes it leads to a sub-optimal layout, but it's just how it goes.

Though there's many ways to design SWM ponds. The big shallow pond may be the cheapest, but there are other more creative, expensive options.

And in some cases, the ponds (or portions of them) can have other uses, when they are only used (or much of them are only used) for freak storms ... such as playing fields, parking lots, etc. Hmm ... parking lots ...

Also, is there any reason that SWM ponds can't be covered (other than $)? Not seeing a lot being built downtown ...

Last edited:
re langstaff station, im wondering, is it close to or at all integrated with the langstaff go station?

At Langstaff station, why on earth have they put the stormwater retention pond between the subway entrance and the commuter parking? There has to be a better way that minimizes the walking distance for commuters.

Why would they possibly need one of those ugly SWMP's for a lousy subway station building? Sheesh!

Sorry, I thought this was for the RHC station (the link didn't work for me), which has a lot of parking for the theatre already.

Why would they possibly need one of those ugly SWMP's for a lousy subway station building? Sheesh!

Asphalt, rooftops, concrete, etc. all will drain rainwater into the nearest low area. If another "Hurricane Hazel" should hit Toronto, the flooding will be worse due to all the shopping malls, highways, rooftops, etc. which would drain directing into drains, valleys, and other depressions in the earth. Those SWMP will temporarily, and only temporarily, delay the runoff. The areas without them will flood and so will other valleys.

no. Richmond Hill center station is closer.. not like there would be much interfacing between the two anyways.

RH Centre will be somehow integrated with the GO station. The precise plans for how to incorporate all in a single "train station" has yet to be nailed down. Or at least Markham isn't thrilled with the plans as they stand.

"Bloor-Yonge Station modification cost estimate is $340M"

Anyone have an idea where that number came from and what it's supposed to buy?

I don't have a source, but the last official rumbling I heard was to add a south-side platform to lower station. This would move the staircases further south on the upper station and distribute passengers better. It would mirror what they've been doing with the passenger management barriers and helper staff.

The ideal would be to add platforms/tracks to the upper station, but this is technically difficult due to where the support columns for the HBC skyscraper are. I would expect adding platforms/tracks to the upper station to cost a lot more than $340m.

Back