I probably did post that at some point but maybe in the York Region thread or the Spadina thread or something :)

So, what % of design does the conceptual design report take them to? I was guessing like 10%?

^^^ Yippie a grand total of 2000 peak hour passengers will board RHC and Langstaff station the remaining 12000 will still arrive via connecting routes and still have to transfer to the subway! Let's hold this up as a model for sustainable transit solutions!!!!

^^^ Yippie a grand total of 2000 peak hour passengers will board RHC and Langstaff station the remaining 12000 will still arrive via connecting routes and still have to transfer to the subway! Let's hold this up as a model for sustainable transit solutions!!!!

Wow we need people like you downtown. I mean seriously. The bloor to square one would bring way more riders. , despite the lack of density and transfers.

Oof and it's hard enough as it is getting a seat on the subway south of Finch as it is now.

I'm not saying it would be better at Finch BUT a lot of the people taking up those seats are coming from up north anyway so, assuming (for the sake of argument) ridership was roughly the same on opening day, isn't it better to have those people getting on in Richmond Hill instead of clogging up roads in buses or cars hauling down to Finch?

As for Woodbridge Heights' comment, the entire ethos behind the TTC for the past 50+ years has been using buses to feed into the subway system; that's kind of the point of having a hierarchy of modes, isn't it? Or we can just put them back in cars if that's more "sustainable"....

We can close the bus bays at Finch Station if you want to do an experiment in sustainability, I guess, unless I'm misundertanding.

Last edited:
Yonge North Subway.

I'm not saying it would be better at Finch BUT a lot of the people taking up those seats are coming from up north anyway so, assuming (for the sake of argument) ridership was roughly the same on opening day, isn't it better to have those people getting on in Richmond Hill instead of clogging up roads in buses or cars hauling down to Finch?

As for Woodbridge Heights' comment, the entire ethos behind the TTC for the past 50+ years has been using buses to feed into the subway system; that's kind of the point of having a hierarchy of modes, isn't it? Or we can just put them back in cars if that's more "sustainable"....

We can close the bus bays at Finch Station if you want to do an experiment in sustainability, I guess, unless I'm misundertanding.

I'm totally agree with you. It is amazing , how so many people do not undestand this simple logic...

If on opening day and for many years after (until they had a DRL or something else to take the load off Yonge) the ridership stayed the same then sure, it would be better that they are on the subway. But the projections are not that a large improvement in service quality would lead to no increase in ridership. People would shift from GO to subway, and from not being able to squish into the 8:30 subway but being able to push into the 8:33 at Eglinton to not being able to squish into the 8:30, the 8:33, and the 8:36, assuming a 3 minute schedule is maintained during the rush hour and that falls apart too.

Your right I seem to remember reading that the signalling system will allow for 90 second frequencies but in reality it will be 109 seconds or something similar. Still much better than the current 150 though.

Your right I seem to remember reading that the signalling system will allow for 90 second frequencies but in reality it will be 109 seconds or something similar. Still much better than the current 150 though.
... though the more I think about it, I seem to recall the Bloor-Yonge constraint is 140 seconds not 110 seconds ... but I haven't looked it up.

The more I read about the Yonge extension the less enthusiastic I am about it. Even with the DRL (DT to Eglinton) and headway improvements, all trains south of Finch are going to be packed. Something needs to be built to siphon riders south of Finch away from the Yonge line. Unless the eastern DRL goes at least as far north as Sheppard I am going to have a really hard time throwing my support behind the Yonge extension.

There would certainly be an overall increase in ridership across the system because of the extension.

Last edited:

Back