If you could [take a GO Train] for the same fare and same level of convenience?

I don't really think this is feasible. My crude calculations suggest that the cost of the average GO Train trip is 5-6$, or roughly 2x the cost of a subway trip. I don't see how GO Trains could approximate subway fares without, basically, turning into a subway with subway ridership (and all the costs that entails).

I don't really think this is feasible. My crude calculations suggest that the cost of the average GO Train trip is 5-6$, or roughly 2x the cost of a subway trip. I don't see how GO Trains could approximate subway fares without, basically, turning into a subway with subway ridership (and all the costs that entails).

The whole point of the regional express concept is to essentially run a surface subway. I just see the various GO lines as opportunities to build a network of fast trains to all corners of the city, much like London has done with the national rail trains within the greater london limits.

Given that the subway from Finch to Union is currently 25 minutes, it's probable that the subway ride from Langstaff to Union would also be 35 minutes.

well 25 minutes isn't during peak times. during am and pm rush for me it's at least 30 min to dundas from finch.

i'd guess that the total trip from langstaff to union would be between 40-45min.

If you could do so for the same fare and same level of convenience?

For the same fare, taking the same amount of time, for most departure times, as the [(lift to Steeles + TTC bus)|(lift to Finch)] + subway method? Sure. But that's not going to be close to happening anytime in the next fifteen years.

well 25 minutes isn't during peak times. during am and pm rush for me it's at least 30 min to dundas from finch.

i'd guess that the total trip from langstaff to union would be between 40-45min.

Langstaff and Finch are about equidistant from Clark.

It's about 35 minutes between just outside Finch subway and just outside Union subway during peak times. This is about the same as Langstaff and Union -- provided you come right around when the train pulls into Langstaff.

But Finch is fed by many more buses and a (choked, admittedly) passenger pickup; its trains come constantly rather than on a schedule; and it is half the price once you cross the double fare boundary.

For the same fare, taking the same amount of time, for most departure times, as the [(lift to Steeles + TTC bus)|(lift to Finch)] + subway method? Sure. But that's not going to be close to happening anytime in the next fifteen years.

That's why we have a 25 year regional plan :)

The whole point of the regional express concept is to essentially run a surface subway. I just see the various GO lines as opportunities to build a network of fast trains to all corners of the city, much like London has done with the national rail trains within the greater london limits.

Okay, but for that to feasible we would have to have subway-esque ridership (or large subsidies). Metrolinx numbers have peak hour ridership at 26k-18k, which is hardly subway ridership. So, it would either have to cut back on service or charge premium fares(like national rail).

Last edited:
Okay, but for that to feasible we would have to have subway-esque ridership (or large subsidies). Metrolinx numbers have peak hour ridership at 26k-18k, which is hardly subway ridership. So, it would either have to cut back on service or charge premium fares.

At the risk of falling into debating semantics, the vision is a train every 15 minutes or so during the off-peak. The train may only be six cars long. I think it's completely feasible to attain this for a reasonable cost and the fare integration policies of the plan will make it comparable to taking local transit. If the Richmond Hill line isn't suitable then pretty much every other line is.

I completely agree, Red Rocket, that GO Trains every 15 minutes all day would provide an effective rapid transit system. Unfortunately, the new GO Strategic Plan is talking about service every 30 minutes. That's just not good enough to get people to travel without considering a schedule. Nobody's going to switch to the train if they have a subway as an alternative right there.

I completely agree, Red Rocket, that GO Trains every 15 minutes all day would provide an effective rapid transit system. Unfortunately, the new GO Strategic Plan is talking about service every 30 minutes. That's just not good enough to get people to travel without considering a schedule. Nobody's going to switch to the train if they have a subway as an alternative right there.

I view GO's strategic plan as a minimum bar to be reached. There's no reason why the bar cannot be raised in the future. The Metrolinx plan does call for continuous improvement :)

Last edited:
I agree that "Super" GO (REX, RER, S-Bahn, whatever) Trains every 15m is a good idea and worthwhile in Metrolinx's plan. I am just skeptical that it will ever be viewed in the same category as subway. As far as I can tell, it will always cost a good deal more than a subway, will (for the foreseeable future) run on much larger headways and have very poorly developed stations with awkward locations. In not so many words, it will stay a "commuter rail" in that it's main customers will be commuters heading to Union. I doubt you will have a Pickering resident take a Super GO to Brampton at noon.

The point here is that GO trains could run along the Richmond Hill line at 1 minute frequencies with no added fare and Thornhill would still be better served by a subway extension for short or long trips. The same is not true for places like Brampton and Pickering and their various GO/TTC extension alternatives, though.

Well it's not in York Region so they wouldn't care about it :)

There will be ...

If you look at the York Region website at any of the planning / meeting reports you'll always see the Cummer subway site mentioned.

it's a shame cummer/drewry is sooo close to Finch they should just move the stop a bit further north say maybe where the doge/chrysler dealership, since in a few years al lthose dealerships and plazas will be turned into high rises most likely, just like what is proposed north of steeles, cummer/drewry is sorta a strange place for the subway stop since the subway entrance for finch is just at the end of the plaza which is right on cummer. I also believe along with the yonge extension another added stop between the existing north york centre and finch would be good as well, the distance between the two stops is huge., and there's quite a bit of development between the two stops.

Back