it's a shame cummer/drewry is sooo close to Finch they should just move the stop a bit further north say maybe where the doge/chrysler dealership, since in a few years al lthose dealerships and plazas will be turned into high rises most likely, just like what is proposed north of steeles, cummer/drewry is sorta a strange place for the subway stop since the subway entrance for finch is just at the end of the plaza which is right on cummer. I also believe along with the yonge extension another added stop between the existing north york centre and finch would be good as well, the distance between the two stops is huge., and there's quite a bit of development between the two stops.

You do realize that adding a station between North York Centre and Finch would mean two stations about 650m apart (and their actual street entrances would be even closer) but Cummer/Drewry as planned right now is actually about 750m from Finch, right? The city also has no plans to redevelop the area between Cummer and Steeles as intensely as has been done farther south or will be done north of Steeles.

You do realize that adding a station between North York Centre and Finch would mean two stations about 650m apart (and their actual street entrances would be even closer) but Cummer/Drewry as planned right now is actually about 750m from Finch, right? The city also has no plans to redevelop the area between Cummer and Steeles as intensely as has been done farther south or will be done north of Steeles.

u serious? the cummer station will be 750m away?, even if u count the finch station entrance that is attached to the commercial building just north of the hydro-way

BMO, the GO train takes 35 minutes to go from Langstaff to Union. Given that the subway from Finch to Union is currently 25 minutes, it's probable that the subway ride from Langstaff to Union would also be 35 minutes.

Your numbers seem to be quite a bit off. During rush hours, it seems to be closer to 35 min from Finch to Union and it will be closer to 45-50 min from Langstaff to Union, Still making Go the better option, (plus there are less bums and thugs on the Go Train :D :eek: )

It is not 35 minutes from Finch to Union unless there's delays and would not be 50 minutes from RHC to Union unless there's delays. Also, the vast majority of people would get off at stops north of Union, and most users of the Yonge extension would get on south of Langstaff GO station. No, GO is not a better substitute for the extension.

u serious? the cummer station will be 750m away?, even if u count the finch station entrance that is attached to the commercial building just north of the hydro-way

Yes, a station between North York Centre and Finch would be just as close - and potentially closer - to one of the existing stations when you're counting from street entrances. Your reason for moving Cummer north makes absolutely no sense when you're also suggesting another even closer spaced station. Moving Cummer north would also mean the Cummer and Drewry buses and their 10,000 daily riders won't intercept it, which also makes no sense.

I just wanted to add a comment to the whole idea that people coming from Richmond Hill to Downtown would rather take the GO...

I'd say it all depends. I, for one, come from all the way out in Markham, but I still bus all the way to Finch station and take the subway down. Why? Because unless you are going after hours and can find a parking spot at a GO lot, or you can get dropped off, then you aren't going to take the GO. Bus services to the stations are abismal and I find that I make better use of my time (and money) by taking a combo of YRT, VIVA, and TTC services to get to my destinations rather than YRT, GO and then TTC (because let's face it, you'd have to subway to your final destination unless you're headed to Front Street).

The GO is not the final solution for all 905 commuters as many 416ers like to make it sound. Trust me, it's nowhere near the level to accomodate or be convenient enough to get me to take it. They need much more feeder routes that actually run later than 7am to convince me otherwise.

Another consideration is headway distance. Take whatever figures you want from Langstaff to Union, but peak headway atm is 15 mins compared to 120 seconds for a subway at Finch. Yes, it is possible to schedule things perfectly so as to make the GO train with 2 minutes to spare, but this inevitably fails and is a major deterrent to GO. People want to travel on their own time. Outside of peak hours, there isn't even really a competition between GO and TTC. The GO headways make anything but the most preplanned excursions sort of pointless by comparison to TTC wait times.

This is exactly why the TTC subway continues to be the main transit mode of choice for commuters going to Toronto. GO trains/buses and other services are far inferior to the TTC's excellent subway service. Baring any delays, the subway runs very frequent and the trains run fast between stations.

The only problem is that the Yonge line is too successful for it's own good. We need more N-S and E-W subway lines to help relieve this busy route. Spadina has a limited effect because it doesn't follow any busy commercial street and is used more for commuting type trips rather than all sorts of trips that the Yonge gets because people live, work and play along Yonge.

Here's a (costly) solution: build express tracks, with express stations at the following:

Langstaff
Steeles
Finch
Sheppard
Eglinton
St. Clair
Bloor
Dundas
King
Union

20 minutes tops from Union to Langstaff.

Here's a (costly) solution: build express tracks, with express stations at the following:

Langstaff
Steeles
Finch
Sheppard
Eglinton
St. Clair
Bloor
Dundas
King
Union

20 minutes tops from Union to Langstaff.

Need to add a station for Don Mills, John as well Lawrence Ave.

As for Bloor, you got height issues as how to move between the 2 systems. That the problem for the Don Mills LRT now.

You can put 2-4 tracks in most place, but will be costly going down the Don.

One better think what the real cost of this extension will be as it will not be the $2.6B as claim. More like $6B

All Yonge line platforms from Eglinton to Union have to be expanded as well adding more entrance except for Davisville and Rosedale. Cost $10-$50M/station.

Need to add in the cost of adding more trains and the 7th car. Then there the cost to upgrade the yards for the 7 car train as well the block system. A new yard will be needed for the extension and that cost has to be added in.

If the Sheppard line is extended to the Spadina line, that cost has to be added also.

What to do at Bloor interchange can be $500m to $2.5B+ cost as well 4 years of disruption.

It would be cheaper to add the DRL and run 10 minute GO service all day to RH as well using the same fare structure as TTC.

One better think what the real cost of this extension will be as it will not be the $2.6B as claim. More like $6B

All Yonge line platforms from Eglinton to Union have to be expanded as well adding more entrance except for Davisville and Rosedale. Cost $10-$50M/station.

Need to add in the cost of adding more trains and the 7th car. Then there the cost to upgrade the yards for the 7 car train as well the block system. A new yard will be needed for the extension and that cost has to be added in.

If the Sheppard line is extended to the Spadina line, that cost has to be added also.

What to do at Bloor interchange can be $500m to $2.5B+ cost as well 4 years of disruption.

It would be cheaper to add the DRL and run 10 minute GO service all day to RH as well using the same fare structure as TTC.

I'm sure that someone will be along soon enough to claim that the increasing costs are really just Giambrone conspiring to make this extension look as expensive as possible, even though the TTC as not been very involved in the planning as of yet.

But I doubt the costs will be that high.

Personally I think that the DRL and all day GO service should take priority over this extension (past steeles)

Light-rail plan favoured over Yonge line extension
It serves more riders, dollar for dollar, TTC chair says

It's not that the TTC doesn't want to extend the Yonge subway line 6.8 kilometres into York Region. It's just that Toronto doesn't want it built at the expense of the city's other priorities.

After listening to a lengthy update yesterday on the $2.4 billion plans for the extension from Finch station to Richmond Hill Centre, north of Highway 7, councillors on the Toronto Transit Commission are still looking for projected ridership when the proposed extension opens – as soon as 2017.

There are various projections for ridership in 2031, but they're based on potential intensification around some of the proposed stations, and the existing cost estimates don't take into account multi-million-dollar items such as train yards and expanding platform capacity at Bloor station.

Dollar for dollar, the TTC's Transit City light-rail plan will serve more riders than a subway extension, said TTC chair Adam Giambrone.

Unlike the Spadina extension, funding is not yet attached to the Yonge extension.

The $2.4 billion estimated cost could climb as high as $4 billion, said Giambrone.

But the project is on the Metrolinx list of priorities anticipated to get part of the $11.5 billion the province has pledged to transit by 2020.

Yesterday's TTC report says only $5 million is expected for the Yonge extension in the province's spring budget.

Meanwhile, planning for the extension, to this point steered by York Region, is progressing quickly. It's possible shovels could go in the ground by 2012.

The first three of seven Transit City light-rail lines into the suburbs also have been designated as Metrolinx priorities, but some councillors fear the money won't suffice for everything on that list.

"It may be the perfect time to be (building) two or three Transit City lines at once, (a Scarborough rapid transit line), two subway lines, both the Spadina extension and the Yonge extension," Giambrone said.

"All we're saying is, fund your state of good repair, fund Transit City, and then, if we want to talk about other projects, we're happy to go ahead and do them.

"We have the capacity to do that, but we have to make sure the funding's in place. I can't run the system on a hope and prayer. I have to have committed capital dollars."

A public meeting on the Yonge extension is expected in January.

Source

If they decide not to extend the Yonge subway to RHC I hope they at least extend the line to as far as Steeles and Yonge. The proposed York LRT could then hook into the TTC at Steeles instead of Finch. I picked up the report yesterday at the TTC meeting and it had some positive numbers in it to argue that a RHC terminus would be a good investment.

The details will work out I am just grateful that their is talk of much needed expansion of the transit system in the GTAH.

Light-rail plan favoured over Yonge line extension
It's not that the TTC doesn't want to extend the Yonge subway line 6.8 kilometres into York Region. It's just that Toronto doesn't want it built at the expense of the city's other priorities.
Source

Now Giambrone is interested in the 905?

Back