The province uses the same mill rate for education taxes everywhere in the province. So if you are in a small rural town where the average house only costs $100,000 then you pay about $200 in education tax instead of $1,000. It was a Tory/Mike Harris move to shift a higher burden of education taxes onto the GTA and particularly Toronto. Though shame on the Liberals not to have fixed it by now, to normalize it. The net effect is that despite similar funding per student, those in Toronto pay a lot more per student in education tax than in many places.

Schools outside of Toronto have to use, and pay for, school buses, more than in Toronto. Generally, Toronto high school students use the TTC, though some use school buses but only in special circumstances. Toronto elementary schools usually use school buses if the student are "far" from school or lower grades or kindergarten. Most walk, though the obese or lazy ones are driven to school by their parents. Schools outside of Toronto are further apart, and have they have to use school buses. Using the school buses is a big expense.

Schools outside of Toronto have to use, and pay for, school buses, more than in Toronto. Generally, Toronto high school students use the TTC, though some use school buses but only in special circumstances. Toronto elementary schools usually use school buses if the student are "far" from school or lower grades or kindergarten. Most walk, though the obese or lazy ones are driven to school by their parents. Schools outside of Toronto are further apart, and have they have to use school buses. Using the school buses is a big expense.

In Peel region, the only high school buses are for students living in areas that do not have a high school yet (ie. new areas that have grown faster than the boards can build schools) but students in stabilized areas or students who choose to go to a high shcool out of their home zone either have to drive, be driven or take public transit.

Elementry school busing in Peel is based on distance and major road crossings. Eg. when my daughter was in grade 1 we were, distance wise, within the walking distance.....but because a crossing of Hurontario/Main/Highway 10 (at the time) she was eligible for busing. My wife and I just used to walk her most days (it was during these walks that we created our own version of the U2 song "where the streets have 3 names").

So, in short, I don't know how different the busing rules are in Toronto compared to outside Toronto other than those new growth spurt areas...but that is typically a temporary situation until the boards get the schools built.

What's your point here? Costs to run rural schools are more expensive, which supports rural residents paying less in education tax?

Middle schools in Toronto are being sold or converted to elementary schools. For example, Arlington Middle School by Cedarvale Park is now a Jewish private school, Fairbank Middle School became an elementary school, and Briar Hill Public School was demolished.

something may have come from that meeting, however it would be kept on the hush-hush until general funding is announced for other of the Moving Ontario Forward transit projects. Word is the first projects will start to be announced sometime in the spring, after they know roughly how much RER will cost.

Oh that's great. I wasn't aware that there was more funding coming. Any insights on what we can expect?

I'd anticipate funding for the transit projects announced during the election.

Its $14 billion, of which roughly $8 billion is expected to go to GO RER. Means $6 billion left over for other things. Likely candidates include the Hurontario LRT, Hamilton LRT, DRL, Yonge extension, etc.

Relief Line and Yonge will eat up all that money. Something has to give. I think either RL or Yonge will be canceled in favour of RER. The Liberals will say that RER does the same thing, and that will be the end of that.

I recall us having this discussion a few months ago, actually.

not all of those projects will occur, far from it. That is just the pot of projects they can choose from.

I have a feeling Yonge North will get stopped at Steeles anyway.

There's not much point in the extension if it's going to be stopped at Steeles, imo. Just build a busway from Steeles to Finch if people are concerned about bus congestion.

There sort of already is one, there are HOVs on Yonge. Its needed, that stretch of Yonge south of Steeles is really bad in the morning rush. It gets a lot better North of steeles though, the subway isn't needed as much.

There's not much point in the extension if it's going to be stopped at Steeles, imo. Just build a busway from Steeles to Finch if people are concerned about bus congestion.

Even if there are bus lanes, the capacity of subways may be needed. Also it could give the possibility to improve turnaround times at Steeles to improve operations on the whole line.

I understand the arguments that the subway is too full already, but if massive waves of buses are going down Yonge from Steeles to Finch anyways, we may as well build it.

There sort of already is one, there are HOVs on Yonge. Its needed, that stretch of Yonge south of Steeles is really bad in the morning rush. It gets a lot better North of steeles though, the subway isn't needed as much.

Would a proper BRT be sufficient at getting those busses through?

How many of those busses could be diverted to the relief line or RER if it were in place? And if they were...would the Yonge extension still be needed?

Somehow I recall someone (Byford? Metrolinx? Tory? I honestly cant remember) saying that the Yonge extension should not be built until a Relief line was in place to make room for the added passengers this would attract on the Yonge line.

- Paul

Back