News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Affectation ? My dad was in the Canadian army for 28 years and it was always " leftenant". I can assure you, affectation was not the issue.

OMG ... R U 4 real?

How can we take someone seriously on anything, if they say we should base our pronunciation on Hollywood.

I watched a lot of Dukes of Hazard in my day (what can I say, Star Trek wasn't in production) ... should I say Ve-HI-cle ?

Vehicle is a more common word in real life. Lieutenant isn't one you hear everyday. When all the instances of lieutenant I ever heard in my life were "loo" and not "left" (whether from TV/Star Trek or friends), then of course that's the pronunciation I'm going to use. Regardless of what you may think is the correct one.

I'd reckon that probably the folks who insist on the British pronunciation in Ontario are majority British Isles in origin. The Mennonites of Waterloo/Perth/Grey/Bruce counties have a distinctly different way of pronouncing words, clearly influenced by their German/Pennsylvania Dutch background--fairly similar to the Yiddish accent/influence in many Jewish folks in the GTA.

I wonder how the accent will change going forward? I know a high school English teacher--Iranian background--whose English I can hardly understand! I sometimes wonder how these people got these jobs...!

My college prof's Chinese and she's been in the country for about 6 months. I can maybe understand 20% of the words she speaks. It's a pretty wide phenomenon if you ask me. It's as if Canada's running out of native english speaking teachers lol.

My college prof's Chinese and she's been in the country for about 6 months. I can maybe understand 20% of the words she speaks. It's a pretty wide phenomenon if you ask me. It's as if Canada's running out of native english speaking teachers lol.

Yes, and nobody speaks it very elegantly in Quebec, including the anglos.

Not news, my daughter complained to my wife and me about not understanding a teacher in Junior High in 1985. We didn't believe her until Teacher/Parent night rolled around and guess what? I couldn't understand 10% of what he said and I was working in a very multicultural sector where I, a WASP, was considered a minority and had to work hard to comprehend the problems brought to me by people whose English skills were some times rather marginal.

This guy must have attracted a shit-storm of upset parents, 2 weeks later he was gone.

That's pretty much what most of the city is like. We're a big ESL class. And I'm not referring to unintelligible teachers.

I couldn't understand 10% of what he said and I was working in a very multicultural sector where I

So you could understand 90%, but couldn't understand 10%? don't see how that's a big deal

you can say the same thing about teeny bopper kids, with their particular "method" of speaking vs. an old-timer grandpa

Not news, my daughter complained to my wife and me about not understanding a teacher in Junior High in 1985. We didn't believe her until Teacher/Parent night rolled around and guess what? I couldn't understand 10% of what he said and I was working in a very multicultural sector where I, a WASP, was considered a minority and had to work hard to comprehend the problems brought to me by people whose English skills were some times rather marginal.

This guy must have attracted a shit-storm of upset parents, 2 weeks later he was gone.

It just pisses me off because I'm paying good money for quality education. How can you call it quality education when there's such a huge communication barrier? At least in high school, most of the teachers I had at least spoke the language. I'd be better off if I learned the material on my own.

Diversity does not mean being a refugee and gangster magnet. I don't think Toronto is a diverse city. The mayor apparently think "working hard" is offensive. Toronto is a city that forces its beliefs on people.

It surely is a big magnet powered by our tax dollars though.

Diversity does not mean being a refugee and gangster magnet. I don't think Toronto is a diverse city. The mayor apparently think "working hard" is offensive. Toronto is a city that forces its beliefs on people.
Why do you equate immigrants with gangsters? Given your comments about 'orientals' in another thread, I'm wondering if your one of these racist trolls that keeps appearing here lately.

I'm always intrigued with these members that have only been on the forum for a few hours, yet are slurring immigrants and shilling for a bigot.

Why do you equate immigrants with gangsters? Given your comments about 'orientals' in another thread, I'm wondering if your one of these racist trolls that keeps appearing here lately.

I'm always intrigued with these members that have only been on the forum for a few hours, yet are slurring immigrants and shilling for a bigot.

I think it's the same few people over and over using different names everytime after they get banned.

By the way are you the same nfitz from U-sector?

getting back to the original post. I've noticed that the diversity push of late in Toronto is huge. It permeates all sectors, I think it's the recognition that many people from toronto are recent immigrants and as such have needs as all citizens do, yet,they may,or may not know how to access services to address these needs (medical,social etc..). In saying this,the push of diversity is recognize this and make it as easy as possible for new immigrants to be part of social inclusion. When people feel socially excluded,they may not be able to contribute as fully as they would/could to toronto/ontario/canada. So, I think what is meant by this diversity campaign is to put in place attitudes,structures and systems to ease the intergration of newly arrived people to toronto to possibly increase thier chances of success,financially,health wise etc..

I just never know if it's right to recognize someone's "different" or to say we are all the same and nobody is different.

for example..do I point out that somebody is in a wheelchair by opening doors for them if their is no proper mechanism for them to open the door own their own? or do I allow them to do it themselves? At times I have done so,and been thanked, at times I have done so and been scolded for doing so. I wonder why? I wonder if pointing out his differences is right or wrong? In the sense does it make people feel more accepted when you treat them as equals? or does it make people feel singled out by pointing out differences?

I know that in my case,I'd rather be treated as an equal and for people to treat me as they would treat anybody,with respect. I am not a recent immigrant,nor am I "different" than most people.But, If I were, I'd want the same treatment as everyone else..sometimes that makes me feel more included,rather than being catered to. I wonder if any new immigrants feel the same?

And given your comments about 'orientals', I am wondering whether you have any Asian friends.

When did I equate immigrants with gangsters? I didn't even use the word "immigrants" in my post.

I have always been an advocate for legal immigration. Canada is a dying nation. The population is shrinking and the young people are spoiled and poisoned by the communist society. They got a sense of entitlement and desire things they don't deserve. Immigrants brings skills and energy into this society. Most of them work hard, most of them are not used to social welfare and sometimes even despise it. It may surprise you, but most immigrants are fiscally conservative and they believe people should only get what they have worked for. It also might surprise you that most legal immigrants I know are against refugees no matter their colors just like they are against people who use welfare to buy alcohol and lotto, no matter their colors

My suggestion is for you to talk to some immigrants, learn from them, instead of forcing your beliefs onto them. Or did you assume that I was talking about white folks?

And no, I am not a racist. I despise white lazy bums just as much as I despise black lazy bums. If it's up to me, every adult including you and me should go through the immigration process once every 10 years. If somebody doesn't qualify, he/she should be kicked out. Ironically, that's what they do to make a business successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back