News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I'm honestly devastated by this. Jasper is my favourite national park and is one of my happy places. Was planning a hiking trip there in the fall and now the town itself practically ceases to exist and huge swaths of the park are completely ruined.

:(
GTWP3yRbIAAwLnn

GTWP3yObsAEj0sf

Absolutely heartbreaking,

I don't know anyone who was directly impacted by this, nor was I myself. Jasper holds a special place in my heart though, a town I've spent a ton of time in as someone who was born and raised in the Edmonton area and goes to the mountains a lot for either hiking, skiing or otherwise.

Last I heard, firecrews were essentially abandoning the rest of the town to focus on protecting only critical infrastructure like the water treatment plant, which just goes to show how dire the situation is. I'm sure we won't find out about the full extent of the damage for a least a few days, my guess, the whole town is essentially gone.

Absolutely devastating for the people who live in Jasper, and anyone with connections to the town.

It’s being reported that the fire advanced 5 km in less than 30 minutes and was a wall of fire 100 to 300 metres high as the “crown” Was fully engaged. Fire breaks and/or added resources even 3/4 days ago are like fingers in a failing dike - too little too late.

^The fire in West Kelowna last year jumped the lake, which is 2.4km wide. No fire break is going to stop that kind of fire. It can send billions of embers 2, 3 even 4 km ahead of the fire. Best is to try to keep roofs wet and protect critical infrastructure.

If this was Banff - you'd better believe that Ol' Smitty would have prevented this devastation. I can see her muttling under breath right now, "Oh Jasper is closer to YEG than my beloved YYC - so that's their mountain town - who cares. WHeewwww....thank Gawd this wasn't Banff."

One vid showed the start of the north fire and how fast it grew. The video operated said the saw a lightning strike and as the drove by the fir more than tripled. I am trying to find it now but yah that was fast.

cps7wztt7ped1.jpeg

keep in mind that the official parks social media put out a response to this map saying that it was actually being used by fire crews but is not necessarily accurate or a true representation. But if there is any truth to this map then it looks like the south west half of the town is essentially gone while most of the north east survived.

Now is not the time for anything like that... IT IS time for the Premier and PM to do everything that they can resource and coordination-wise to help Jasper (and other areas) out.

IMG_7493.jpeg

I would say it’s also time that Danielle Smith admits that climate change is a serious problem and take major steps toward transitioning away from burning fossils fuels for energy and stop obstructing clean energy development, but I am not holding my breath.

Back