News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

....at least it has a members' lounge. I've been holding out for one at the ROM where I'm a member but I doubt we'll see anything at this point.

Anyone have Thorsell's email? I'll bring it up.

I refuse to go into the Grange now they've wrecked it and turned into a Pottery Barn. That big event space in the tower building is empty most days - and part of it could easily have been converted into a member's lounge.

I actually rather like the look of water on leather trunks.

^^Good point about the 'event space' US- I had the chance to go on a tour with one of the directors of the AGO and she mentioned that it was a necessary space for fundraising events, gala's, entertaining etc., but I thought it seemed entirely useless. There are enough spaces in the gallery, which could easily enough, and more interestingly be converted for such uses, when needed - this space seems entirely useless and should have been dedicated to more gallery space..(maybe this is the plan eventually?).

Nonetheless, US I do have to admit, that I remembered seeing the workmanship you are referring to, but decided to not to embark a ripping every detail - instead, I feel that by and large, the gallery has accomplished something, but I generally think we are not used to, nor are we able to dictate the high standards of workmanship that they do in Europe or even parts of the States..We might have talented craftsmen, but people do not seem quite as invested in their workmanship as they are in Europe. Its true and I tell you that even the smallest job is important, because its not the individual parts which are necessary to make a good impression but the sum of all the parts combined.

42-I remember hearing that about the wave-cases, but I still found it pretty dark and for some people, like my parents who are older, this becomes a worthless space, due to their poorer eyesight- you know?

Cheers-

p5

Having the third floor as a specialized private event space feels like a bad move in a number of ways. It's almost as if the AGO wasn't sure the renovation would be the success it is, and so they had to grasp at every future dollar that might become available. Too bad. The modern collection could use the room to become more comprehensive. Despite the airiness of the two floors above up in the tower, the collection still feels as if it could use more room and more contextual pieces to really get going.
The room, overlooking Walker Court, visibly links the upper new tower with the lower old gallery. Having it sit hugely empty most of the time, feels like an unwelcome gap. It leaves the upper galleries at something of a remove, and interrupts a sense of creative vertical progression within the gallery.

Also - the climb up the stairs from the base to the first open landing on the fourth floor is quite a haul for a lot of people. I heard murmurs of discontent from people today, generally elderly, a few of who had to turn around and go back down after finding out their short climb was to be more of a schlep than anticipated. It only seems right that the third floor space naturally reward the intrepid scultural stair climber with at some kind of rest or reward.

As for the Grange, although a I'm a gallery member, I'm refusing to go in as well, since I think what they've done to the interior of it is a thoroughly disrespectful hackjob. It may not have been pure history inside, as it stood, but it was at least respectful and a honest attempt at restoration, back in the day. It would have been a delightful place to rest.

In the main gallery, the workmanship flaws are slight - and happily the exception rather than the rule, thankfully. Unlike the sinking feeling one got, say, with viewing the finishes on the Stair Of Wonders and - well, all over at the ROM. The external cladding on the upper portion of the scultural staircase is the part I think is rather crudely handled, myself. Overall, though, what I did notice today was how the place keeps revealing itself in excellent details - like the triangulated sawtooth flush joints seamlessly joining the strips of wood that form the giant curved glulam beams in the Galleria Italia. You can't even see them unless you're fairly close. Very cool.

Last edited:
^Very interesting post CN- thanks!

I am not a member and have not had a chance to see what, or at least hear about the actual changes they made- what is the travesty so many are talking about?

p5

When Shocker calls the Grange a Pottery Barn now, he's not far off the mark. The ground floor (the only accessible area of the home now) has had virtually all of its historic details covered up or removed, the floor is a floating pergo-type bleached wood laminate thing, the furniture is Danish modern, the walls are flat off-white, the art is Ken Danby, including an oversized self portrait. Yuck. On all counts.

A modern member's lounge would make perfect sense on the third floor of the tower. In the Grange, it's an insult to the historic fibre of the home.

The third floor space should be convertible between Member's Lounge and Event Space. It can't be that difficult to cook up a way to do that. The events seem to be few and far between. p5connex is right, it does need more art on its walls (and not the Ken Danby).

This afternoon I toured two friends through the building for the first time. Londoners, they have out-of-town memberships. Their reactions were similar to many we've heard: too-dark ship model room, too much Krieghoff, well curated theme rooms, beautiful, confident Gehry touches throughout, real joy in the Galleria Italia, near disgust with the Grange.

We started out with brunch at Frank. All three of us had excellent meals with terrific service.

This evening I got together with friends, one of whom used to work at the AGO. One of her contacts there sends her attendance figures weekly, which she says have "crashed". Sounds like hyperbole to me, and does not jive with my overall experience in the building. It was quite busy today, and quite busy last Wednesday evening too - free night packs'em in - but was admittedly quieter this Thursday evening when SimplyDan and Darkstar and I were there not long before closing. 8 PM on a winter Thursday though, what do you want?

The place was in busy, weekend mode yesterday.

They had some sort of small fan/heater thing going in the Walker Court stairs, but people were still wiping condensation from the windows to see out. Same thing on the other stairs.

I'm guessing that their "big bang" opening gave the Gallery proportionally more of an attendance boost than the ROM's more gradual approach. Of course it wouldn't have been possible for the Museum to shut down entirely like that - while the AGO has over 4,000 items on display, the ROM has that many in some galleries alone, and they're still not finished with the reno.

3264495923_c2a6ea6e0f_b.jpg

3264498403_f796beec2c_b.jpg

3264510987_fdc19065ef_b.jpg

CSW's 3rd pic looks like some sort of hallucinatory dream..................amazing

3264510987_fdc19065ef_b.jpg

Dundas St. West

How about taking care of visual beautification of the Dundas St. West just across the street from AGO?

We have to depend upon the vision and financial situation of the owners of the buildings along the north side for that.

Cross your fingers, click your heels, think good thoughts...

Great pics CSW & Android. Thanks!

Back