News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I passed by today:
The ribbed sections are almost finished up to the East end of the future sculpture gallery.

The curvy staircases facing Grange Park are being installed. A huge section is sitting near the street. I look forward to seeing them installed as they'll be one of the few "Gehryesque" features that will be seen from the outside.

As the ROM's opening fades into memory and regular day to day operations go on, Transformation AGO is going to take the spotlight of Toronto's cultural renaissance.

While I think that most people won't associate the AGO with Gehry's most recognized work, I did some research and found this:

theatrenewaudience.jpg

It's a theatre in Brooklyn designed by Gehry.... Looks like he's moving in a new less organic direction. This is probably the closest to the AGO that I could find.

I feel that the beauty will be in the details as the wooden ribs on the Dundas façade are beginning to show.

We could afford him, but we're cheap. ;)

Yeah, it does ring of a little snobbishness.

I'm surprised nobody's posted this:

Gehry's AGO will dazzle for the right reasons

Jun 18, 2007 04:30 AM

CHRISTOPHER HUME
Frank Gehry's return to Toronto also marks his return to architecture.

Though his $254 million remake of the Art Gallery of Ontario is a year from completion, already its virtues are apparent. In this case, they are not the usual Gehry qualities of spectacle and drama.

No one doubts his ability to produce buildings people talk about, but as is so often the case with architects – think Frank Lloyd Wright's Guggenheim Museum in New York or Mies van der Rohe's New National Gallery in Berlin – Gehry's galleries have been great for everything but their intended purpose, displaying art. The best example may be his famous Bilbao Guggenheim, which, with the exception of Richard Serra's monumental steel sculptures, tends to overpower the exhibits. Of course, people don't go to Bilbao to look at art; they go to ogle the building, which amply rewards ogling.

By contrast, his renovation of the AGO is all about the experience of art. Though he has made no secret of his exasperation with Toronto conservatism, perhaps it turned out a blessing in disguise. Wandering through the construction site that is the AGO today, it's clear the new building's chief benefit will be what it does for the collection. Yes, there are the inevitable architectural flourishes, most obviously the spiral staircases that add a certain flourish inside and out.

But for the most part, the new AGO will comprise a series of fabulous spaces designed to enhance the objects on show. The most memorable will be the Galleria Italiana, the second-storey sculpture gallery that extends 150 metres along the front of the building on Dundas St.

It is, in a word, superb, even exciting. It will bring a sense of urbanity and connection to the AGO. Suddenly the building enters into a dialogue with its 19th-century neighbours and the city beyond. It will also be a marvellous light-filled room in which to view sculpture.

Interestingly, the same desire for connection can also be seen at the other Cultural Renaissance projects, most notably the Gardiner Museum of Ceramic Art, the Royal Conservatory of Music (also unfinished), the Royal Ontario Museum and the University Ave. and Queen St. sides of the Four Seasons Performing Arts Centre. Perhaps this can also be understood as an attempt to democratize institutions long viewed as elitist and aloof.

At the AGO, Gehry has also brought clarity to the interior. Standing in the new entrance, which has been moved further west on Dundas and lined up with Walker Court, the heart of the complex, one can see right through to the back of the building.

Speaking of Walker Court, it now has a glass roof, which means natural light. Likewise for many upper-level galleries where contemporary art will be displayed.

Gehry's most substantial contribution is the new "tower" at the back of the building overlooking Grange Park. This is the element that most angered neighbours, but it turns out to be the transformative space. The galleries here are large and ideally suited to the epic scale of contemporary art. And, again, there are magnificent views, in this case looking south to the bottom of the city and the lake.

This being the 21st century, the entrance level has been reconfigured to accommodate a restaurant, retail and meeting area. These operations are more important than ever to the gallery's financial well-being, and their prominence reflects that.

Inside, Gehry called for Douglas fir wherever possible, not just because it's Canadian but because it adds warmth and a level of comfort to the interior. Never will the AGO, and the gallery-going experience, have been more welcoming. We need no longer fear art.

Though much of the gallery has remained open during construction, the building will close Oct. 8 for final completion and installation.

Even if Gehry's AGO doesn't rank among the projects that change the world, its subtlety and quiet perfection mark it as a minor masterpiece.

Source: TheStar.com

wow that brooklyn box is hot:) Frank's getting up there in age; his last project in canada could very well be true if he moves on into the ....

Besides, Gehry isn't really an architect--he just scribbles something down and gets his "real architect" employees to do the actual work.

What is it time for? An extensive photo update of all the projects.

For the AGO, give it one more week or so as significant portions of the staircases are going up and the ribbing from the sculpture gallery should all be up.

At that point, a photo update would be nice. I can pass by go get the shots.

As the ROM's opening fades into memory and regular day to day operations go on, Transformation AGO is going to take the spotlight of Toronto's cultural renaissance.

While I think that most people won't associate the AGO with Gehry's most recognized work, I did some research and found this:

theatrenewaudience.jpg

It's a theatre in Brooklyn designed by Gehry.... Looks like he's moving in a new less organic direction. This is probably the closest to the AGO that I could find.

I feel that the beauty will be in the details as the wooden ribs on the Dundas façade are beginning to show.

This project was posted on the board a long time ago. I like it though...a great little project.

Thanks for that audio interview.

I don't think he comes across as arrogant at all - in fact he appears to be the opposite. The questions though are terrible and like any bad interview, Hume is not even listening to Gehry.

I agree with Alklay. He seems quite candid and down-to-earth in the interview, though you can almost hear him biting his tongue. I guess at 77 you have earned that...

I do hear, between the words, that he may have loved to do an iconic building for the waterfront - it would have been an amazing backdrop/canvas for him to potentially make yet another major mark on the international stage, and the back-story of him being from the city would have played well too - Still, I guess, at the end of the day, he's basically saying that we're not ready to make these sorts of things happen yet, the way they are in Europe or the U.S. Not a sin, just a reality.

I didn't find the interview to be snobby as well. If anything you can sense his frustration he has for the way things are done in Canada. Thats just the way Canadians are. His quote about Europeans just getting things done is a good one. If we had proposed creating a new museum on the waterfront for say $400 million dollars, 95% of people in the city would probably march down University Avenue straight to city hall complaing that the money could be better spent on healthcare.

That simply wouldn't happen given how little City Hall gives to the arts.

The arts in Toronto are overwhelmingly funded by individual donors, the Feds, and the Province. Not the City, which piggybacks on the largesse of others.

When I amass my fortune and become bored I shall give my money towards the following venture:

The Avenue for the Arts. What's this concept? Avenue Rd shall become a stunning showcase for sculpture and art from the 401 to Bloor St. From suburban bronze to uptown plastic, it shall become famous worldwide.

Hope you come check it out c.2040

I know the city doesn't give to the arts but you'd still have all sorts of mindless people going down there anyway not fully understanding the issue.

Back