News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

^True enough. Here in Cobourg we got funding from the province to build a big fountain/skating rink in a new park on the harbour. It created a huge controversy about maintenance costs, policing, taking away green space, blocking views, disrupting neighbouring condos, etc. Some people are pretty petty about stuff like that.

It's funny he mentioned the AGO as perhaps his only building in Canada...what happened to the Le Clos Jordan Winery?

Hume seemed to be trying to get Gehry to complain.

His main problem with Canadian projects seemed to relate to the budget. Now that the dollar is high, perhaps someone could coax him back for another building.

Failing that, maybe someone like Randall Stout - who designed the faux-Gehry Art Gallery of Alberta - could fill in for him? Most people probably wouldn't notice the difference.

I used to think there was an unlimited number of design options once you allowed artists supported by acolytes on computers to dream up ever more novel new shapes for buildings. Now I'm not so sure. I'm beginning to wonder if there are only so many variations on blobby/spiky/swoopy/curvy. Not only are starchitects repeating their favourite shapes, but plagiarists are ripping off their various looks. Now that the unorthodox has become de rigeur, where can we go next? I sense that the Starchitect Meccano set of shapes is being plundered with abandon - that Nouvel concert hall on the outskirts of Paris looked like he'd grabbed a Libeskind fin from here and a Hadid auditorium from somewhere else ...

I used to think there was an unlimited number of design options once you allowed artists supported by acolytes on computers to dream up ever more novel new shapes for buildings. Now I'm not so sure. I'm beginning to wonder if there are only so many variations on blobby/spiky/swoopy/curvy. Not only are starchitects repeating their favourite shapes, but plagiarists are ripping off their various looks. Now that the unorthodox has become de rigeur, where can we go next? I sense that the Starchitect Meccano set of shapes is being plundered with abandon - that Nouvel concert hall on the outskirts of Paris looked like he'd grabbed a Libeskind fin from here and a Hadid auditorium from somewhere else ...

Can't you say the same for any age though? You'll always have the masters and a host of pretenders. I suspect a new architect will come along with something fresh eventually (that will be copied endlessly by others).

Simply put, we aren't concerned enough about such things as iconic buildings, the arts, or setting examples- its not that we are cheap, but rather that we as Canadians love to remain anonomous- in the end you have fewer enemies. In other words, play it safe.

Not to mention, not that Thompson was a cheap person, but he was the richest man in Canada, with over $15 billion, you'd think he could have left a little more than his art work and a $50 million dollar endowment. Don't misunderstand me either, I think it is very generous, but in most other similar projects the art donor not only donates the art but usually erects a new building and pays for it..ALL of it.....he could have easily afforded it and made searching for nickles and dimes in the couch unnecessary. Oh well!

p5

ps......come to think of it, it may also be because we are cheap! :)

Actually, not to belittle the large AGO donation, but I have heard that Thompson was quite frugal with his money.

I just love how so many of us want others to pay for the things that we want.

On a forum about skyscrapers, it's kind of the nature of the beast. Unless I'm Harry Stinson. (Which, let me tell you, would be a rude awakening.)

An excellent update of the construction process by Prof. Terri Meyer Boake at U of Waterloo:

http://www.architecture.uwaterloo.ca/faculty_projects/terri/steel/ago2.html

She also answered two questions often raised at UT - 1. Interior photos of construction is rare/nonexistent due to the terms of contract between AGO, Gehry International and Ellis Don and 2. the shimmering silver layer is indeed alumninium and not the final blue titanium cladding.

AoD

I just love how so many of us want others to pay for the things that we want.

What a ridiculous comment. If the government is not going to pay for it/ essentially the taxpayer, then what is wrong with hoping for philanthropist to pay for it?

What do you think, that I am asking for him to buy me a house? Maybe, he should build the house, furnish it and pay for future renovations? Come on!! Everyone benifits from it, even you- not to mention where the hell do you expect to take all that money after you pass on..??

p5

Back