News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Though his kind of "personal connection" might lean t/w leaving a little too well enough alone for the more overwrought Gehry-o-philes out there. Gehry + park requires a little more of a tabula rasa situation, as I see it (as in Mill'um Park, f'rinstance)

I don't see too much of a problem with the park as it is today, but it could definitely use a bit of a better layout.

Gehry could contribute by designing a splash-pad with an innovative fishlike fountain. This could replace the deteriorating wading pool.

Another Gehry move (that I envision) could be wavy landscaping on the grassed portions of the park. A sort of green ocean with swoopying features could be a place for people to lay against while reading a book. This would fit Gehry's theme of water, fish and non-linear structures.

Also, there needs to be an uninterrupted park under OCAD and on to McCaul. Right now, the parking lot (which is slated to be removed) cuts the park from McCaul. Alsop designed the building on stilts so that the College would be connected to the park.

All this can be done without dramatically changing the park but still adding interest and beauty to this hidden gem.

Perhaps the nicest thing about the new AGO is that we didn't get the predictably Big Hair Bilbao-esque Gehry that many craved. If he gets to redesign the park, maybe he'll avoid the predictable swoopy/wavy/fishy look too, and do something unexpected.

Does Gehry have any track record of designing parks, as opposed to buildings? Having asked that, I would also assume that if he were offered the commission, he would be able to design something that would be respectful of the existing context, as well as being somewhat "Gehry-esque" or iconic, as he has done perhaps unexpectedly with the building.

Not sure if this has been answered before/elsewhere, but what is the blue mass going to be clad in? It's 'shiny' so I'm guessing metal...blue titanium?

Here are some progress pics from today, September 6th:

AGO1.jpg

Looking towards the AGO from the south end of John St, just ahead of the bridge by the CN Tower... It will look great from that vantage point when completed.

Hotel1.jpg

Looking over to the left - the Hotel going up at Wellington & Windsor

AGO2.jpg

View from inside Grange Park

AGO3.jpg

AGO4.jpg

View from corner of Dundas and McCaul

Wow. That really does make it look imposing from Grange Park. Probably not as bad in real life thanks to OCAD and the Prii building. The view down John really will be amazing when it's done.

Thanks nicetommy - great photos, particularly the one illustrating the view terminus effect at John Street.

AoD

That's way more imposing than I expected. Not bad if it ends up looking good.

^ ditto. And once again we hunker down and wait, with bated breath, for the cladding.

pretty much what I expected (the planning report did peg the height equivilant to a 15 storey apartment building)

the hotel is looking better than the renderings

The topping off ceremony for the steel is this Wednesday, September 20. The beam will be covered in signatures as per usual.

Back