News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Re: Interior Shots

D'oh! I almost passed by there today but walking from Queen St. I couldn't imagine that much progress had happened since I last walked along the Dundas side.

I'll walk by tomorrow. :)

... Nevermind: I checked the Live camera on AGO.net. Wow.. this thing is moving fast.

I think because I'm so engaged with watching the ROM go up, I haven't been noticing the AGO's progress. Can't wait to see it finished.

Not really about the project per se, but still rather significant - from the Star:

AGO gets $50M sculpture
January 11, 2007
Martin Knelman
Arts Columnist

After two years of intrigue, poker-faced negotiating and scholarly sleuthing, the Art Gallery of Ontario has landed a spectacular prize: a full-length, life-size crucifixion sculpture by the Italian Old Master Gian Lorenzo Bernini.

This rare baroque treasure, called Corpus, is a gift of the Frum family. Cast in 1650, it is said to be worth $50 million in the current art market. Bernini, generally considered the greatest sculptor of the 17th century, created it for himself and held onto it for 25 years.

"It's so overwhelming, you just have to sit down after you see it," says Murray Frum, the Toronto developer, art collector and key AGO board member who bought the piece from a U.S. dealer after pursuing it for two years, then turned it over to the AGO as a gift from his family.

"It's a thrilling moment for us," says Matthew Teitelbaum, CEO of the gallery. "And we've decided not to wait for our reopening after the Gehry transformation. Instead we will include it in a show we are doing this summer giving people a preview of what to expect from the new AGO."

Bernini is known for his work at St. Peter's Basilica in Rome, especially an immense gilt-bronze baldachin (ornamental canopy) with twisted columns, created between 1624 and 1633, as well as Vatican papal tombs. But he's best loved for several great fountains in Rome.

For a collector like Frum – who has already donated more than 80 pieces of primitive African sculpture to the AGO – the chase and conquest are part of the thrill. He was smitten as soon as he saw the piece because of its beauty, simplicity, emotion and scale (1.7 metres high).

"I felt it didn't belong in a private home," Frum explained yesterday. (Not that Frum's architecturally notable house, with sumptuous gardens and art, is a typical home.) "To me, this piece belonged in a public institution."

He let Teitelbaum know he was pursuing it. But the AGO had to wait for the game to play out.

It involved complicated bargaining between Frum and a U.S. art dealer, as well as questions of authenticity, against the background of a red-hot international art market.

And there was a special element of intrigue. The credentials of the piece had to be verified. Corpus had gone missing for a long time and was in the hands of a French collector who thought the artist unknown.

After being recorded in the Perugia region of Italy circa 1790, it had been "lost" for over 100 years, until it surfaced in Venice in 1908. Later it fell into private hands in the U.S. But at that point it was misidentified as a work from the school of Giambologna.

It was not until 2002 that it was recognized as a Bernini. And it took until 2005 for the provenance to be definitely and directly linked to Bernini.

The AGO owns another Bernini, a smaller marble bust of Pope Gregory XV (1621) donated in 1997 by Joey and Toby Tanenbaum.

According to Frum, Bernini made three Corpus sculptures. One belongs to Spain, part of the Spanish royal family's official collection.

The other went missing during the Napoleonic wars. None of the three has ever been on public display before arriving in Toronto.

"It's hard to believe it is made out of bronze," says Michael Parke-Taylor, the AGO's acting curator of European art, referring to the delicate finish.

According to Teitelbaum, that reflects the goal of baroque artists to bring the divine into the realm of human experience.

For the moment, the sculpture is in a huge storage crate in the AGO basement. When the AGO's renovation is completed two years from now, both Berninis are sure to be among the most talked about pieces in its permanent collection, along with the Peter Paul Rubens masterpiece Massacre of the Innocents (1611), donated by the late Ken Thomson.

"After you have been a collector for a while," says Frum, "the challenge is to find pieces that truly excite you. This one did."

mknelman@thestar.ca

AoD

I didnt know the Frum's were so weathly - that partly explains how someone as lacking in intellect as David Frum has gotten so far in life.

The AGO has been very lucky these past few years. That'll be something else on the Arts front to look forward to this summer.

I had some limited dealings with Mr. Frum a few years ago. All I will say is that I'm grateful I'll never have to deal with him again.

I do wish people would stop using the word "primitive" to describe African art - especially when you conside the profound effect that the discovery of such pieces has had on European and North American culture, and the popular aesthetic sense, during the past century or more. Frum was a knowledgeable collector of these works for thirty years before donating them to the AGO in 1999.

And now the Bernini. Bravo!

Lucky us, too. Because collectively we own these pieces. I can hardly wait to get to know them, once they go on display.

"I do wish people would stop using the word "primitive" to describe African art - especially when you conside the profound effect that the discovery of such pieces has had on European and North American culture"

Indeed where would Gaugin and Picasso be...among others. The word Primitive to describe early nonwestern art is outdated and unflattering. It is a patronizing 19th century European label that should not be used in this day and age. Early African art or 18th century African art etc is more appropriate.

I do wish people would stop using the word "primitive" to describe African art - especially when you conside the profound effect that the discovery of such pieces has had on European and North American culture

They should hire Mel Lastman to give the tour through that part of the exhibit.

...screw the tour, make him part of the exhibit. The centerpiece of an exciting new interactive display on African cookware...

1960sc_Postcard-Cannibals.jpg

According to today's paper, in July the AGO is displaying all 32 of the Dundas Collection's Northwest aboriginal works that the Thomsons bought at auction last October.

Mystery:

Thanks - there are some of the first interior construction pics I've seen!

AoD

"AGO scores $10-million donation"

by JAMES ADAMS
04/04/07

www.theglobeandmail.com/s...4/BNStory/

A ceremony announcing the unprecedented donation of $10-million to the Art Gallery of Ontario by 20 Italian-Canadian families prompted Italy's ambassador to Canada to announce a gift � and possibly gifts � from the Italian government.

Speaking Wednesday morning at the AGO, an enthusiastic Gabriele Sardo told a crowd of about 240 � including representatives of each of the families that are donating $500,000 to the expansion and renovation of the gallery � that he would �soon be able to submit for the evaluation and judgment of the AGO board a collection of quite a few good pieces of contemporary Italian sculpture.�

The sculpture likely would find a home in the Galleria Italia, the 180-metre-long promenade that will run virtually the entire east-to-west width of the AGO when architect Frank Gehry's redesign opens to the public next June. The $10-million gift, first reported today in The Globe and Mail, gave the donors from the Italian community naming rights to the promenade which AGO director and CEO Matthew Teitelbaum said will be �the largest continuous exhibition space in Canada.�

Besides the sculpture, Mr. Sardo intimated other gifts might be en route from Italy. After the art is provided, �let's see what the government has in store for you,� he said to loud applause. �Such an endeavour [the donation] should not go unmatched on the Italian side, and I'm sure it will not go unmatched on the Italian side.�

Mr. Teitelbaum was feeling generous himself.

To commemorate the donation, he announced that the AGO is commissioning a work of art, �almost certainly a sculpture,� that will be on semi-permanent display when the gallery re-opens. (To complete construction and install its collection, the AGO will be closed for eight months, starting in early October.) The piece will be chosen by AGO curators from a field of five or six Canadian artists. �It will be about generational shift; it will be about notions of legacy and the heritage of our immigrants,� Mr. Teitelbaum said. But it also �has to be a work of art that really integrates with the fabric of the institution, that works on the highest level.�

Other speakers at Wednesday's announcement included Toronto publisher and AGO vice-president Tony Gagliano, who was the prime mover behind the $10-million gift, Toronto mayor David Miller and Ontario Finance Minister Greg Sorbara whose family, prominent in development and construction circles, was among 20 contributing $500,000 each.

Back