News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.7K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Speaking of colour, the prominent use and importance of colour in the AGO's new logo does not regard the fact that sometimes a logo must be in black in white – i.e. Fax.

Three points.

1) There is more to making a logo than somehow reshaping your three-letter name into the shape of your starchitect renovation. The ROM could have done better, too. I'm not sure their latest is an improvement over the old one, which emphasises institution over architecture.

rom.gif

2) The thought of a municipal panel regulating "font-appropriateness" is upper-case terrifying. Unless it could regulate the use of Comic Sans.

3) If the new AGO logo is troublesome, it's because it doesn't have clear edges - the overlapping colours effectively blur the edges. Will it be clear and distinctive from a distance?

The board could issue a series of guidelines and issues papers, have public consultations on issues like font-appropriateness, conversion to braille, multiple language comprehension, and use of colour for those who suffer from Colour Vision Deficiency. Once that is done, we would issue a report and begin the long and messy work of the logos themselves.

Then again, I'm a bureaucrat. Bureaucrats do it slower.

Bureaucrat? I never would have guessed :p

Personally I like the old ROM logo best.

I think the logo is great! Inspiring even! Reams ahead of the horrible new rom logo. Won't reproduce in a fax????? Umm, humans use computers these days I think.

I think the logo is great! Inspiring even! Reams ahead of the horrible new rom logo. Won't reproduce in a fax????? Umm, humans use computers these days I think.

You'd be surprised how many people still use Fax. When I started my company, I refused to get a Fax number and machine. I thought I could do it all through email but my clients still want to send me quick stuff through Fax and many hand signed forms need to be sent in through Fax.

I still didn't give in the traditional way: I got an online Fax service.

Regardless, from the perspective of a graphic designer: a good logo will translate well into monochrome. Potential uses beyond fax: vinyl stickers, ink stamps and carbon paper forms come to mind.

I've received a Fax from the ROM once: the logo was in black in white. They used different shades of grey to differentiate each crystal in the logo.

New York obviously doesn't have a "logos board," but it does have an uncanny sense of font-branding. If you ever want a laugh, look at the official Helvetica used by the MTA, the MoMA, and for section titles in the NYT. Virtually identical.

I had pretty much the same view today from the Canada Life Building. It really doesn't look that great from this angle. It just looks boring and somewhat cheap from afar.

Your roof??? Dan! Where've you been all these months during construction? lol That's quite an amazing perspective that I believe many of us have been craving. Thanks for the pictures. :)

Commenting on the blue cladding: it's quite spectacular but I see that we're having the same problems as the Lee Chin Crystal's mismatched cladding.

It's not mis-matched cladding. It's just the inherent variation in colour that you get in all materials, whether painted or natural. When you have such a large section of it, you will always pick out the slight variation. It is impossible to see a difference until in the panels until enough of them are up.

The last photo is great by the way.

Back