News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Re: Interior Shots

The canopy will suprise and delight... imagine exiting the Gardiner at Spadina, heading north to Dundas, having a coffee or some dim sum while you wait to turn right at Dundas... and then a few blocks later...... "my GOD Archie... what the fcuk* is that??!!".

*famous retailer

I've been getting curious about how many buildings phases the AGO has gone through.

I know it started with the one on Grange Park. I also know that the last one was the Barton Myers/KPMG addition. Was there anything in the middle? When was Walker court built?

Is the white building that is being retained for Gehry's reno part of the last addition?

The interiors of this project look very promising...it's the exterior that's disappointing.

I've been getting curious about how many buildings phases the AGO has gone through.

I know it started with the one on Grange Park.

Are you talking about the Grange itself? (Or the second-floor gallery within?)

I also know that the last one was the Barton Myers/KPMG addition. Was there anything in the middle? When was Walker court built?

From the AGO site:

1900 - Art Gallery of Toronto founded
1911 - Grange House (Art Gallery of Toronto permanent home)
1921 - First expansion (Frank Darling)
1925 - Addition
1933 - Addition
1974 - Stage I expansion completed - Moore Centre (Parkin)
1977 - Stage II expansion completed - Canadian Historical Galleries, Gallery School (Parkin)
1993 - Stage III expansion completed (Barton Myers/KPMB)

I think Walker Court might be the 1925 part. (But it's probably best to think of 1921-33 as one de facto "phase", just like 1974-77.)

Is the white building that is being retained for Gehry's reno part of the last addition?

Parkin.

The interiors of this project look very promising...it's the exterior that's disappointing.

I predict the exterior will be much more impressive than expected in person from the street level.

Thanks adma.

So the entire Barton Myers addition was removed? Gee.. must suck to be him.

I just looked back in time at how it looked... how aweful:

218823164_de854dff5c.jpg

Totally forgettable.

I do like the Parkin addition though I wish Gehry had at least dealt with the jumble of buildings on the West side.

Maybe we'll see a future Gehry addition take care of that with a row of " dancing houses"

3f9e8cc5.jpg

Alvin, then again, so is the ROM.

There are architectural enthusiasts and there are architectural enthusiasts. They look the same, but some like the ordinary, the conformist. Others like new ideas.

I'd like to see Gehry work on updating Grange Park since it is planned to be. Imagine a Gehry fish fountain :-D

The Stata Centre at MIT had been roundly condemned by some as being urban unfriendly (e.g. by Kunstlerwww.kunstler.com/eyesore_200405.html)
That's Kunstler. Vested interest. It's like David Frum condemning the Clintons...

Oh, and re AGO: remember that the rear atrium part facing the Grange is also Myers/KPMB--while subsumed by Gehry, it'll basically remain...

SNF/adma:

I mentioned Kunstler not because I buy into what he said - but just as an example of the sentiment out there. He is bit of a brick and mortar/PPS kind of urbanist anyways.

re: rear atrium

That's one weak point of Gehry's building - he basically butchered the space and obscured both ends of the atrium thanks to the 2 elevator cores.

AoD

So today I was waiting for a train in Dundas Station and looked up at the ceiling. Guess what I saw? The ROM Cladding!

Ok so its not exactly the ROM cladding, but it looks similar and thats scary. Hopefully the ROM knows how to take care of it better than the TTC.

What is this ROM of which you speak Tuscani? In this thread there be another monster to subdue, one which goes by the moniker 'AGO'.

dragonmaster 42

That's kind of my fault. I posted the Kunstler link about the ROM, all proud of myself for being a-propos, but forgetting that the thread was about the AGO.

But aren't we kind of having the same discussion in three threads at once, anyway?

Back