News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Am I the only one that finds the shape of the "outside" staircase in the back to be very unattractive and awkward? It looks like they had just found random shapes of steal to work with and were able to make this fit.

August 30, 2008

From the north, on McCaul Street
ago9-3.jpg

The addition of the wood fascia continues apace:
ago1-5.jpg

A curious addition to the front...
ago10-2.jpg

Wood panelling for the interior back wall of Gallery Italia:
ago2-4.jpg

Coming together...
ago3-4.jpg

The back external staircase seen from the west, looking east.
ago4-4.jpg

Titanium through the branches....
ago5-4.jpg

A lot of the main hoarding's down at the back.
ago6-4.jpg

ago7-2.jpg

ago8-3.jpg

Am I the only one that finds the shape of the "outside" staircase in the back to be very unattractive and awkward? It looks like they had just found random shapes of steal to work with and were able to make this fit.

Nope. I don't find the exterior design appealing. Nothing seems to relate to anything else.

Would anyone by any chance know if any elements of the Barton Myers addition will remain at all when the Ghery addition opens? Interior or exterior?

From what I've seen, it's mostly all gone. The barn section was removed and the interior configuration will be completely changed to re-align the entrance to Walker Court.

I was down in the area today too: it’s a beautiful building and, as good as your pictures are, Mr. Canadian National, (and thank you for them) they don't capture the varying tones of blue, or the pillowed-effect of the Titanium or the intense visual impact the structure makes, particularly when viewed from the south, looking north to the Grange Park. This really must be seen in person. I saw workers inside, scurrying about (on the Labour Day weekend!), so I'm confident that it will indeed be finished by November. The AGO has been closed too long and I look forward to its reopening.

Would anyone by any chance know if any elements of the Barton Myers addition will remain at all when the Ghery addition opens? Interior or exterior?

The only thing left intact is the Chalmers wing, which is mainly administration offices and a few galleries. Everything else has been removed or altered so that it could no longer be considered part of the Myers AGO. Interestingly, there is more Parkin left then there is BM/KPMB.

...and yes, the blue is final!

I was down in the area today too: it’s a beautiful building and, as good as your pictures are, Mr. Canadian National, (and thank you for them) they don't capture the varying tones of blue, or the pillowed-effect of the Titanium or the intense visual impact the structure makes, particularly when viewed from the south, looking north to the Grange Park. This really must be seen in person. I saw workers inside, scurrying about (on the Labour Day weekend!), so I'm confident that it will indeed be finished by November. The AGO has been closed too long and I look forward to its reopening.

I haven't seen it in person yet, but it does look to be quite textured. I will save my final thoughts on it until it's complete and I've seen it in person.

Back