News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
The shared-track sections in Amsterdam are generally very short (often just over a narrow bridge or for a distance of about two tram-lengths through a narrow pedestrian area). They're also the exception rather than the norm; probably 99% of the tram network is in its own track. It would be much more difficult to have shared sections that are much longer than a couple of tram-lengths without having to have a very highly regimented schedule.

Yes, I never saw a shared track of more than about a hundred yards and I never saw how the drivers knew not to enter if another streetcar was coming, except by looking. There seemed to be no traffic signals - unless they were in the streetcar. It is certainly not a solution for long stretches. (In Amsterdam I was also amused by the streetcar lines going over lift bridges, where the bridge AND the overhead all lifted together, cool!)

Oh, well if you really want to know, it's that the Jane bus can continue as one route down to Jane Station, with the real fast BRT bits only going down to Eglinton. If you want to go down to Bloor, just stick on the bus till you're there. If it were LRT, the street would either have to be ripped up just to put in streetcar tracks, or it would have to go above ground or below ground which costs a lot of money. The idea is that you can have a continuous route with BRT in some of it, and the fact that people can continue their trip along a real Eglinton RT means they don't have to wait through poor service between Eglinton and Bloor.

I'm actually impartial to Jane. Whether it be LRT down to Eglinton and bus for the rest, BRT down to Eglinton, LRT and then Undergrond/Elevated LRT to Bloor, or a full blown Jane Subway, I think they all fit their niches and would work well, if that makes any sense whatsoever. But this would be another one of those projects that'd be good to stick the dike with some fodder, like some shoulder bus lanes, limited stops or Articulated busses, and then see what it needs after the network's more complete 10 or 20 years from now.
So in other words, it's not BRT, its just a bus in mixed traffic.

So in other words, it's not BRT, its just a bus in mixed traffic.
Yep, but it'll be BRT north of Eglinton. The pro is that it gets to be a nonstop route. Great is that South of Eglinton is the least dense part of Jane, and I think it's possible to fit shoulder lanes and maybe some HOV/Bus lanes to St. Clair. South of St. Clair, I laugh at the idea of any form of higher order transit, especially if Eglinton is viable as a subway-competitive corridor.

Let's just settle this and agree that both BRT and LRT are dumb placeholders for real rapid transit (subways).

Transit improves by building more rapid transit. Not by utilizing expensive options on little-used corridors.

Yep, but it'll be BRT north of Eglinton. The pro is that it gets to be a nonstop route. Great is that South of Eglinton is the least dense part of Jane, and I think it's possible to fit shoulder lanes and maybe some HOV/Bus lanes to St. Clair. South of St. Clair, I laugh at the idea of any form of higher order transit, especially if Eglinton is viable as a subway-competitive corridor.

I reckon it could be an LRT branch which shares the eglinton tunnel, and turns north at Jane. South of eglinton should be a separate bus route. Surely that's the better service for most riders instead of losing reliability due to a traffic congested section on Jane Street.

Last edited:
Jane Street transit is little used? Have you been drinking much egg nog tonight?

I wasn't referring specifically to Jane Street. I don't think I've ever even see the street to be honest. I was making reference more to the Sheppard East LRT to the zoo.

I wasn't referring specifically to Jane Street. I don't think I've ever even see the street to be honest. I was making reference more to the Sheppard East LRT to the zoo.

I was talking about Jane and it's needs. If you've ever taken a look at it, you can say due to its importance in the west end, it deserves some sort of higher order transit: thus LRT. However there are people here who are saying that it should be BRT, since for whatever reason, they say that it doesn't have the same cons as LRT. That's just bull.

and about the 'more busses' solution... you can have as many busses as you want but if it looks like this:
bus_traffic.jpg

Than it really doesn't matter the capasity, transit still sucks. A ROW is needed. For example, there are about a bus every 5 seconds on Eglinton but they constantly get stuck in traffic - one after another.

The Jane strip is very dense especially within its Northern parts while the street is quite narrow south of Wilson. I feel that the neighborhoods, especially Jane-Finch, warrant two LRTs, while those on the corridor should at least receive one. Some commercial development could help stimulate the local economy as well.

and about the 'more busses' solution... you can have as many busses as you want but if it looks like this:
bus_traffic.jpg
So how many cars would that LRT have to have then? Like 20 :rolleyes:

I'm not disagreeing that Jane needs to be relieved. I'm just wondering as to how one might want to relieve it. An Eglinton Subway/LRT/whatever, and a Spadina Extension+FWLRT would both relieve a lot of traffic on Jane. Right now, I'd almost call Jane a contender for subway (if we didn't already have about 6 higher priority corridors on our plate,) with it's high density nodal development, high redevelopment opportunity, and ability to generate a bunch of West End trips. But with an Eglinton RT to draw people from St. Clair to Wilson, and a Finch LRT to feed 2 km to a Spadina subway drawing people from Wilson to Steeles, I think that trips will get spread out a lot.

So again, why don't we see how those two work out before we do a lot to the route? They could probably fit in diamond lanes, at least north of Eglinton, and the TTC may be convinced to buy some articulated busses. Once we can analyze ridership patterns with an Eglinton RT and Spadina subway, there's really no way of knowing what the proper mode for Jane is.

So how many cars would that LRT have to have then? Like 20.

Those buses appear to be stopped. Capacity isn't all that high. I'd be willing to bet that 4 car trains, surface ROW with signalized intersections, one train every ~2 minutes would be able to do the equivalent job of that photograph. Possibly much better as the travel speed, which many on this forum care about to excess, would be higher.

Back