News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
The SRT has a max ridership because of lack of equipment. Putting LRT on it will almost double the ridership as to more room and equipment that can be added as needed.
[...]
That's the entire line, though. I am talking about a trip from Kennedy to Scarborough Town Centre. The ridership numbers at that stretch is easily approaching subway levels.

I am pretty sure I've read that the ICTS II vehicles would probably end up full on the opening day. The LRTs probably would have similar maximum capacity. I can't see the same not happening here.

Hopefully Scarberian can re-introduce his position. ;)

The centre two lanes of Jane were closed south of Eglington (for resurfacing) for the whole summer a couple of years ago - people managed... I am sure that some drivers chose to use an alternative (suboptimal for them?) route, but the sky didn't fall down and there was no peasants revolt.
Banning parking on Jane and devoting the centre lanes to public transit seems like a very doable compromise given that we really need a service (capacity) upgrade so badly... The tough bit is coping with public transit and traffic on just a single lane each direction while the transit lanes are being built.
AmJ

If they do take two lanes away from Jane and/or Pape (Don Mills LRT), it could become a test case for what to do similarly with Queen and other streetcar routes downtown. If they decide on going underground, then it would become another incentive for a Downtown Relief Line.

That's the entire line, though. I am talking about a trip from Kennedy to Scarborough Town Centre. The ridership numbers at that stretch is easily approaching subway levels.

I am pretty sure I've read that the ICTS II vehicles would probably end up full on the opening day. The LRTs probably would have similar maximum capacity. I can't see the same not happening here.

Hopefully Scarberian can re-introduce his position. ;)

The ridership on the SRT between Kennedy and STC is not even close to subway levels. LRT can easily handle double the ridership, and even more Mark I vehicles can probably handle short-term increases in ridership. Of course, getting more Mark I's is out of the question at the moment. You will not see Mark II's in Toronto. The TTC is abaondoning(yay!!) ICTS technology in favour of LRT, and will extend the line to connect with the Sheppard LRT.
Of course original plans were based on ICTS technology. There are open houses planned for January where the revised plan will be displayed.

The ridership on the SRT between Kennedy and STC is not even close to subway levels. LRT can easily handle double the ridership, and even more Mark I vehicles can probably handle short-term increases in ridership. Of course, getting more Mark I's is out of the question at the moment. You will not see Mark II's in Toronto. The TTC is abaondoning(yay!!) ICTS technology in favour of LRT, and will extend the line to connect with the Sheppard LRT.
Of course original plans were based on ICTS technology. There are open houses planned for January where the revised plan will be displayed.
There comes to a point that LRT can handle the loads, but it becomes obvious you just don't want the subway. Over 30k people using 5 km of RT, when the subway that connects with downtown and the rest of the city is dumbly avoiding that corridor which has a major urban growth node at the end of it. I mean, if that doesn't sound like it needs subway, we should just fill in the B-D and YUS because there are plenty of parts of them that could be serviced by LRT too.

There comes to a point that LRT can handle the loads, but it becomes obvious you just don't want the subway. Over 30k people using 5 km of RT, when the subway that connects with downtown and the rest of the city is dumbly avoiding that corridor which has a major urban growth node at the end of it. I mean, if that doesn't sound like it needs subway, we should just fill in the B-D and YUS because there are plenty of parts of them that could be serviced by LRT too.

agreed. the anti-subway people would just love to see b-d replaced with at-grade streetcars to help make bloor and danforth more pedestrian oriented and european with cafes i'm sure

30,000ppd does not justify a subway. LRT can handle that load just fine. It's obvious, you and a few others possess limited knowledge of transit capacity. A "major growth node" does not automatically justify a subway, especially when the ridership to that node is not even close to filling a subway, and won't be for at least 50 years.

agreed. the anti-subway people would just love to see b-d replaced with at-grade streetcars to help make bloor and danforth more pedestrian oriented and european with cafes i'm sure

Your swipes against those who do not bow down to the subway gods every morning seem to be getting more and more absurd by the day.

Your swipes against those who do not bow down to the subway gods every morning seem to be getting more and more absurd by the day.

Why is that an absurd swipe? Isn't that just the bill of goods being sold for what was previously planned as a subway route on Sheppard East?

30,000ppd does not justify a subway. LRT can handle that load just fine. It's obvious, you and a few others possess limited knowledge of transit capacity. A "major growth node" does not automatically justify a subway, especially when the ridership to that node is not even close to filling a subway, and won't be for at least 50 years.

There are a lot of assumptions in your flawed analysis. That "major growth node" will be growing faster and becoming denser than most "major growth nodes" in the province's plans. So that line would be seeing a lot more than 30k ppd. The point SIP was trying to make was that the line has been remarkably successful for its short, handicapped length. So just imagine what it could achieve if it actually connected to an urban growth centre.

It would be ideal of course to extend the LRT into downtown and would also work to eliminate the transfer to B/D altogether, or perhaps make such a line a new GO Route to Union instead.

There are a lot of assumptions in your flawed analysis. That "major growth node" will be growing faster and becoming denser than most "major growth nodes" in the province's plans. So that line would be seeing a lot more than 30k ppd.

There is no analysis. It's fact. STC is not the centre of the universe, and being a "major growth node" does not justify a subway. The increase in ridership will not even come close to needing a subway. I'll take the word of the TTC, and Metrolinx over your assumptions any day.

The point SIP was trying to make was that the line has been remarkably successful for its short, handicapped length. So just imagine what it could achieve if it actually connected to an urban growth centre.

SRT? Successful? That's funny! The SRT is a costly failure. I am looking forward to that technology being torn up, and replaced. 30,000 riders are probably thinking the same.

Back