News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
"Payback"'s first post was "Scarberian why are you so condescending about other people's ideas and suggestions?" If one was going to return with a hopefully fresh start after being banned multiple times, perhaps one should not begin with long posts in the transportation forum or use dead giveaway terms like proximate or preforming.

So much for giving socialwoe third, fourth and fifth chances. Although to be fair he always ends up a scapegoat. And getting banned so many times must be damaging to his ego. We've ruined him. Let's just hope he hasn't learned how to spoof IPs yet :p

Why has he been banned anyway? Just curious.

He is argumentative, lies, and doesn't know what he is talking about. He it constantly saying things like "Nuff said" or other comments that are simply anti-discussion. He will post something that makes no sense and then when proven wrong will say he knew he was wrong and was being artistic, nebulous, or fishing out the real answers. There are only so many B.S. posts people can take. He needs to learn to be honest, both to the people in this forum and to himself. The multiple aliases and the language he uses is just a symptom of his problems.

Fair enough! He definitely got on my nerves as well, but I was content to try to ignore him.

Fair enough! He definitely got on my nerves as well, but I was content to try to ignore him.
It's hard to ignore someone who derails every thread with their idiocy. Anything he posted in would turn into a debate with him defending his idiotic point to the death while calling everyone else stupid.

Cedarbrae isn't on the Transit City grid...Lawrence East would make a lot of sense as an LRT line, though.

You think a bus route with over 100 individual stops can be replaced by limited stoppage streetcar? LRT works on Eglinton because stops are already spaced far apart (APPROX. every 400 metres). A stop at Markham & Eglinton would be a stone's throw away from Cedarbrae Mall. Not everything has to be directly accessed to be reasonably served.

UTSC just isn't that big...York U is at 5 least times larger, and even Seneca and Humber have quite a few more students. A subway line to UTSC would not be well-used.

There's ample room for the UTSC to grow and expand inclusive of a brand new wing under construction right now that'll house 1000 more students. So collectively with Centennial College Ellesmere Campus, over 11, 000 students are concentrated in the Morningside/Ellesmere area. But that's not even the big picture. UTSC, effectively the easternmost subway stop, could potentially be a transit hub for routes extending into Malvern/Morningside Hts, the Zoo, even Pickering (creating better interregional solidarity with 905 east).

No one is discounting the potential of subways at Seneca or Humber, but you've said so yourself, subways can't go everywhere. For you to sit behind a computer screen and mock me for a reasonable suggestion, when you're bringing up a subway line to Highway 27 and Finch, is maniacal.

A subway to UTSC won't be any worse for wear than the hyper inflated, near-empty trains traversing the Sheppard line on a daily basis. If UTSC is under populated maybe it's due to poor transit options for students and teachers to utilize. Why do you think we scuffed at that ridiculous U-Pass proposal? Putting 2 and 2 together yet?

That's a ridiculous figure, and there's no reason tunneling has to be that expensive. There just simply isn't. I've discussed in another thread how the TTC vastly inflates the cost of subway projects. Beyond that, you have to tunnel to get the benefits of the DRL.

And it's that inflation I fear will subtract from other city-wide projects. I've yet to hear how one goes about ensuring that a certain number of funds are set aside and safeguarded in the event of other projects wildly spinning out of control and go over budget. The DRL as a subway is great if it's limited and concentrated to a specific area. The further from the core it goes, the more outrageous expenditures get, the less riders you'll see at specific points en route (think YUS north of Eglinton West in contrast to south of Bloor) and less is the opportunity to break even via cost recovery.

Thanks socialwoe, for both missing the point and telling me how I ride transit. First of all, the whole point is to show how much slower the Light Rail is than the subway. Secondly, I do ride Spadina all the time from Front to Bloor, and even more frequently from Front to Harbord or Sussex to go to U of T. It's a pretty terrible trip. I have to budget at least 30 minutes, and I'm still often late.

You easy well could've said "Secondly, I do ride Islington South all the time from Lakeshore to Bloor" or "Secondly I do ride Bathurst all the time from Queens Quay to Bloor". See what I just did there ;)? Regardless of the presence of adjacent subways there'll always be jobs that are best suited to surface transit. You comparing a LRT DRL to the 510 is hogwash. The rail corridor doesn't have traffic signals that I'm aware of and last I checked it only takes 9 minutes on the Georgetown train to get from Union to Bloor.

Anyway, a whole group of us are strongly advocating that the DRL be built as soon as possible, with the subway technology.

Perhaps I'd be right up there with you if you people knew how to respond to my posts in a civil, egalitarian manner. Probing questions are meant to clarify discrepancies one might have with certain aspects of a proposal, not to cause trouble (just thought you should know for future reference).

PS: By the way, who's socialwoe? Was he wrongfully ostracized too?

Considering you use woe in your email address I think you do know who socialwoe is. And dentrobate54 as well considering all of these names use the same IP address.

Banned again.

The TTC site has an update report on Transit City. It doesn't contain a lot of solid information, as everything is at the study stage, but they seem to have decided that the Finch line ought to connect with the Sheppard LRT and subway lines. I presume that this could mean a continuous service from Scarborough along Sheppard, up Don Mills Rd., along Finch past Yonge as far as Etobicoke.

http://www.ttc.ca/postings/gso-comrpt/documents/report/f3545/_conv.htm

Ah just noticed CapitalSeven wrote ecaxtly the same thing I did.

Oh well, it looks like they will for sure connect them somehow. It would make sense from a fleet management perspective to have them connect at Don Mills too. Once the Don Mills LRT is built, they could all share the same maintenance facilities.
Trains on Don Mills could even alternatingly interline with Sheppard and Finch.

Where are the lockers?

I need a locker. Where are the lockers when one goes shopping? They have disappeared!

There used to be a time that if one went on a shop, dine, and movie day, lockers were available for short-term storage. We could have been on a shopping spree, stop off at a locker, load it up with your goods, and then go to a restaurant or movie.

Now we have to carry those bundles around with us into the restaurant or movie.

If we want to have people use public transit, the placement and use of lockers should be considered. There are coat checks at some restaurants, but at movie theatre? And if there are coat checks, would they accept parcels. And, it they accept parcels at coat checks, then there is no reason for the lack of lockers.

The automobile has its own "locker", called here in North America, a "trunk". People have gone on their shopping sprees, deposit their goods in the trunk, and then continued shopping.

Return the locker, if we want to use public transit more.

(Along with the trash cans in the stations.)

Where are the lockers when one goes shopping?

think this was meant as a unique thread

only lockers i know of are at the coach terminal, which ain't too bad for eaton centre shopping

the rest (subway stations like college, union rail station) were probably shipped to some scrapyard -- or re-installed in some jurisdiction that reacted differently to 9-11...

Canadian Architect

Link to article

City Transit – Transit City

How will the growth of our transit system affect the streetscape development of urban space? We invite you to join the Toronto Society of Architects for its monthly themed of discussion. This month's discussion on Toronto's new Transit City plan and how the extension of light rail transit across the city will affect the design of our streetscapes, future patterns of urban development, and the growth of the city.

The moderator of this session is Matthew Blackett of Spacing magazine, and panellists include: Adam Giambrone, City Councillor and Head of the TTC, City of Toronto; Alex Spiegel – President, One Development Corporation; and Roger du Toit, Principal of du Toit Allsopp Hillier (DTAH).

Join the discussion on Tuesday, May 6, 2008, for the TSA monthly meeting in the third-floor studio at the Arts & Letters Club, located at 14 Elm Street in Toronto. The session begins at 6:30pm, ending at 8:30pm.

Back