News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
To convert the subway to an SRT should take between 6 months to a year at best. Will not cost hundreds of millions and well under a hundred.

Saw cutting the platforms will take time and only haft of it has to be done.

You slop the lower new level up to the existing level leaving the stairs, elevators and escalators alone. The LRT's will only require 200' of the existing 500' platform.

At a later date once there is a need for a subway, you add to that new lower level to bring it backup to the existing level.
Wouldn't it be easier to raise the two trackbeds and leave the platforms at the same level?

I went on the Jane bus the other day and noticed that some of it is in 4 lanes in some places, so I guess at those points the LRT will be in mixed traffic.

Yes but further up north there are a few sections that appear narrow.

There is a section from Lawrence to Blackcreek that will have issues.

Dundas south is very tight.

You are better off putting it underground at Eglinton going south to deal with the 2 hills.

Going north is not much of a problem other can the existing bridge support the LRT's in the first place?

If not, humm more underground line and now wells keep it underground until Wilson. Hello subway.

Humm!!! my Queen subway U coming into shape.

Here's a link to the Official Plan's map of road allowances:

http://www.toronto.ca/planning/official_plan/pdf_chapter1-5/3_row_2006.pdf

For much of its length, Jane is narrower than St. Clair. It seems pretty clear that it is not wide enough of a street for a ROW until it gets north of Black Creek Dr.

I dunno...it indicates parts of St. Clair and Queen's Quay are narrower than 27 m.

The question is whether you can have an ROW the width of Queen's Quay and allow the LRVs to travel at real light rail speeds (up to 50-60 km/h). And, if streetcars return to Dundas West, whether a connection could exist.

Don Mills LRT Open House

Tuesday, June 10
6 to 8:30 p.m.,
Rosedale Heights School for the Arts,
711 Bloor Street East,
Cafeteria.

Tuesday, June 17,
6 to 8:30 p.m.,
East York Town Centre (mall),
45 Overlea Boulevard.

Wednesday, June 18
Don Mills Subway station
3 to 7 p.m.

June 3-5 for the Sheppard/SRT

Jane is supposed to next on the list and most likely be the week of 21st, but we see

The Star: "LRT Lines Head East"

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/436558

With the Eglinton Crosstown, Sheppard East to the Zoo, extension of the LRT to Malvern Town Centre; coupled with the possibility of the Havelock Rail Line coming into play as it goes to Peterborough, how does this level of rail activity 'urbanize' the inner suburbs?

(Don't forget as well the existing two GO lines that run through this section of town.)

I'm curious as to what are the benefits and how does this transform the inner burbs from the different persepctives each one here has.

Just putting it out there...the question is fundamentally this... how does the inner burbs get transformed as urban alternative transportation is brought to these areas?

It will hopefully induce a constant string of pedestrian-scale developments along the avenues it serves, but don't expect us to be bulldozing sprawl and rebuilding it with new urbanism.

With all due respect to you, SUV, could a mod merge this thread into the Progress on Transit City thread?

Transformation will only occur after areas along the lines are rezoned, which is why the Official Plan will be rewritten to accommodate Transit City. The ultimate vision for these areas can be seen in the flesh along Sheppard West, where a similar transformation has already begun. Eglinton will be the easiest to change since it's already an 'Avenue' and since it's fronted by so many non-park/industrial/backyard properties.

Wouldn't it be easier to raise the two trackbeds and leave the platforms at the same level?

No, due to hight of vehicles and no room for a ramp to raise the tracks up on sloping grade in the tunnels.

I went to the Malvern meeting this evening. I'll post some details in a day or two, as something's come up that will be occupying my time over the next few days.

I took the 131E from Kennedy, guaranteeing me a seat on a fishbowl bus, and not having to transfer at STC. It took 2-3 minutes longer than the SRT train that left around the same time as the 131E from Kennedy.

Basically, the alignment has been extended to Meadowvale, and the Sheppard East line would replace the 85 route completely. Stop spacing has not changed much at all west of Brimley, but is closer together east of there.

The plan now is to use Malvern garage as the LRV storage facility, at least for now.

SRT now has been planned to be extended right into Malvern Town Centre, there are four possible alignments. If you're going to send three rail transit lines to Malvern, I guess you might as well send one where the people of Malvern are! At least it would improve many commutes better than just ending at Sheppard and Markham. (I still think that a subway extension to STC would have had similar benefits for a similar cost, and is the better solution).

Sheppard East into Don Mills situation has been reduced to two possible options:
- Either tunnel LRT from Brian/Consumers to Don Mills, with a same-level transfer to the Sheppard Line.
- The Subway extension to Consumers is still on the table, with a surface LRT to underground subway connection there. The main reason being that Consumers Business Area makes a lot of sense as an employment node that deserves intensification, and a subway extension would be the best way to promote the city's vision for there.
- Surface connection from Sheppard East to Don Mills or a "shallow" LRT connection with a walk downstairs either from a mezzanine or the bus terminal have been nixed.

One bright side, IMO, is that some attempt was made to mitigate the transfer issue between the two Sheppard East modes. It's not at all ideal, but the worst scenarios there were booted out.

There is also an admission that TC is not meant for long-distance transport. The regional rail/REX idea has been mentioned several times by staff as a the way to serve longer distance trips.

My biggest concern now is that there's little mention of a spur down Brimley or McCowan to STC. The heaviest ridership on Sheppard is west of Kennedy to McCowan, ridership really drops east of there. It would only make sense to run every second LRV to STC.

There are now some interesting urban design sketches and layouts. The boards should be available online for both projects soon.

well at least that transfer point sounds promising and a step in the right direction.

Back