News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Basically, the alignment has been extended to Meadowvale, and the Sheppard East line would replace the 85 route completely.

Except the Zoo connection, and that little section along Sheppard E - Port Union - East Ave. Curious how will those be served.

SRT now has been planned to be extended right into Malvern Town Centre, there are four possible alignments. If you're going to send three rail transit lines to Malvern, I guess you might as well send one where the people of Malvern are! At least it would improve many commutes better than just ending at Sheppard and Markham.

If SRT reaches Malvern Town Centre, does the Eglinton E - Kingston LRT really need to go to Malvern as well? Perhaps either UTSC or Lawrence / Rouge Hill GO would be a logical terminus.

Except the Zoo connection, and that little section along Sheppard E - Port Union - East Ave. Curious how will those be served.

I'm not sure, but perhaps it might mean the return of Route 13 Rouge Hill, which was amalgamated into the 85 route in the 1980s, IIRC. There will also still be the 86 Scarborough as well.

If SRT reaches Malvern Town Centre, does the Eglinton E - Kingston LRT really need to go to Malvern as well? Perhaps either UTSC or Lawrence / Rouge Hill GO would be a logical terminus.

That's a good question. The Morningside part of that route is a joke (Kingston Road makes sense) especially if UTSC is ignored.

Wow, the Malvern Town Centre connection might actually make the RT extension useful. I still disagree with the technology, but at least the RT will finally end somewhere important, rather than a patch of empty land at Markham and Sheppard.

Sheppard Avenue lay-by?

The design of the roadway seems to me to assume that there will be no parking on Sheppard Avenue East itself. Any parking would be, I'm presuming, on the property of the stores or buildings along the road.

Has any thought been giving to the use of lay-bys (a parallel paved area beside the main road where vehicles may park or wait). Bumpouts (larger rounded sidewalk) at the corners would terminate the lay-by. In time, as newer buildings gets developed, the buildings would be built beside a wide sidewalk that borders the lay-by. Any additional parking would be out of sight in back.

2007_layby_buggy.jpg

Parking meters would be the next step.

I think that would only be considered when a development proposal is on the table. Right now, there is nothing on Sheppard to warrant the construction of these features, but they are not incompatible with a future Sheppard LRT

Tramway on track in Montreal

From a CBC report:

Montreal will have a tramway system up and running by 2013, Mayor Gérald Tremblay said Wednesday.

The tramway lines are part of Montreal's new transportation policy, which hinges on expanding public transit to take cars off roads and highways, Tremblay said.

One of the proposed tramway lines will run along Parc Avenue.One of the proposed tramway lines will run along Parc Avenue. (City of Montreal)"Gridlock is more and more present every day. People are spending over two hours in their car to come to work … it creates major problems, stress problems, asthma problems, respiratory problems," he said.

"As a result of that, citizens are saying, they told us very clearly: Priority? Public transit."

The city's executive committee decided to include tramway lines in the new transportation policy after numerous debates on the subject that produced study commissions, position papers and countless recommendations.

People are more open to public transportation because of environmental concerns and the rising cost of gas, said André Lavallée, an executive city council committee member.

"We've moved on from the dreaming stage to feasibility," he said. "It's not just enough to lay down tracks on the road. We have to make sure the underground infrastructure is sound, and if it's not, we'll have to replace them."

The city will pay $1 million for a feasibility study to evaluate options for a tramway system. The first phase of the project could cost $260 million.

"To support that kind of investment, Montreal needs a source of revenue dedicated to public transit," including bridge tolls, Tremblay said.

Montreal is banking on financial help from the federal and provincial governments, the mayor said.
3 lines planned

The first tramway loop will run 20 kilometres through the downtown business sector, Griffintown, Havre de Montréal, Old Montreal, the Centre Hospitalier de l'Université de Montréal (CHUM), and the entertainment district.

Two more tramway lines will eventually be added: one along Parc Avenue and another on Côte-des-Neiges Road.

The city has lost ground compared with European and other American urban centres, where tramway lines have long been established, Tremblay said.

Montreal boasted 378 kilometres of tramway tracks as recently as 1959, a network that was abandoned under pressure from the automobile lobby, he said.

The transportation plan also includes measures to extend the subway system east and west. The blue line will be extended from Saint-Michel to Pie IX, and the orange line will be extended beyond Côte-Vertu, with another station planned for Laval.

Another station will be added to the yellow Longueuil line.

I think that would only be considered when a development proposal is on the table. Right now, there is nothing on Sheppard to warrant the construction of these features, but they are not incompatible with a future Sheppard LRT

Not required 100% on Sheppard at all.

Leave an inch and watch a block go.

More free parking.

Montreal's LRT is yet another excellent application for the technology. It's not a replacement for subway. It's a feeder and a supplement that provides more local service to areas like the future Griffintown and the old city.

I can't wait for the meetings to start for the Transit City lines that I'm actually excited about. Unfortunately, all the ones they've picked for early implementation are in areas suitable for subway, to ensure that subways are never built. I'm very excited for Eglinton, Jane and Finch West.

Here's my new Google Map showing the new stop placement for the Sheppard East line based on the map I saw at the EA Open House. I came away from the one last week slightly less disillusioned, but my biggest problem is that Transfer City here might only get a few mitigation measures like level transfers at Don Mills (and that the STC spur is merely just a conceptual plan).

TTC Staff and Giambrone are making noise about regional rail/REX as the way to move people quickly downtown, that Transit City has different priorities. If there could be a new stop in Malvern for frequent trains with fares more comparable to TTC than GO (or a hybrid) and improved service on the Stouffville Line, and Sheppard East LRT, it'd be okay.

I still think Sheppard Subway logically should go to Vic Park for now, as the EA is still on the books for that, and is a more logical terminus than Don Mills or even Consumers.

I respect the REX idea, but we still need a backbone subway system first. Finish Sheppard to STC, Bloor to STC, and add capacity to the downtown core through heavy rapid transit (subway technology) on Don Mills and a DRL. Then, REX is fine.

Unimaginative, you are preaching to the choir here. I did say "okay", not at all ideal, but I am almost happy to see a new realization that something more than Transit City (which really lies somewhere between traditional streetcars and real LRT) is needed. There is the admission that TC is not meant for crosstown rapid transit, which is something we need, and what subway and regional rail can do much better.

The DRL is the top priority, along with subway to STC (don't get me started on the SRT fiasco sequel). Sheppard is turning out to be a basketcase, though I sensed a small shift in attitude and thought from the last time around.

Agreed. Oh, I know I don't have to convince you! I'm glad to hear that there'll be a bit of a shift. I was disappointed to hear from Glenn de Baeremaeker that it was "too late" to talk about replacing the RT with a subway extension to STC, a policy I find baffling since the decision was made before we knew that the province was offering $15 billion in transit capital funding for the GTA.

Back