News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
Well I naturally assumed streetcars would cost far less as all they'd require are open-air, simplistic platforms. A lot of proximate station sites (Gerrard Square, Riverdale, Parkdale, Brockton) already have access stairwells needing minimal upgrades. Only Union Station truly has to be underground (via a portal beween Simcoe and Yonge Streets).

That's why using subway technology sounds wasteful and sets a bad precedent that Torontonians can't evolve beyond subways as a viable method of rapid transit that even a 95% surface route gets the subway treatment.

Then build a subway station with open-air simplistic platforms. Nothing about subways defines that stations must be built in one particular way. Rosedale and Warden are both outdoor stations but couldn't be any more different.

It really is frustrating how in the minds of many people, what a subway is and how it should be built has become written in stone, but yet what an LRT is has become completely flexible with people molding their vision of LRT to match their wants and desires. I'm waiting for someone to state that we should built LRT because Toronto needs more colour and since LRTs can be colourful but all current Toronto subway trains are silver, LRTs are a better option!

Subways and LRT are just as capable of running in completely grade-separated corridors. There is simply no difference. A road costs the same to build whether it has a Porsche or a Volkswagen driving on it. But it might cost a bit more to build if it's going to have bigger buses or trucks driving on it. It's defined by the carrying capacity of the vehicles. The difference is that there are "roads" that light rail can drive on but heavy rail can't. There's 6-car "light rail" trains out there in the world and there's 1-car "heavy rail" trains out there too. Guess what... if you're building grade separated lines the light rail will be more expensive to build.

Look, it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with "evolving" or any other such empty catchphrase. It has to do with choosing the technology that provides the needed capacity and the ability to deal with increases in demand in the future. It's about designing a system that creates the shortest, fastest, most convenient trips for the greatest number of people. Once you determine that, THEN you determine the technology.

Otherwise you're putting the streetcart before the horse (as the mis-named unimaginative put it).

Well I naturally assumed streetcars would cost far less as all they'd require are open-air, simplistic platforms. A lot of proximate station sites (Gerrard Square, Riverdale, Parkdale, Brockton) already have access stairwells needing minimal upgrades. Only Union Station truly has to be underground (via a portal beween Simcoe and Yonge Streets).

Ah. So basically, you want a streetcar trundling down Front Street, a la Spadina. Do you ride the streetcar regularly? I live on the Spadina line at Front, and I have to budget at least 30 minutes to get up to Bloor Street, and even then I'm still late. That's less than 3 km. Do you really think that'll switch anybody from the subway?

Seriously, though, think about it. Why does a subway platform have to be any different than an LRT platform? Whether underground or on the surface, if the trains are the same length, there's absolutely no difference other than perhaps platform height. The cost of a surface "subway" station can be virtually identical to a surface LRT station.

That's why using subway technology sounds wasteful and sets a bad precedent that Torontonians can't evolve beyond subways as a viable method of rapid transit that even a 95% surface route gets the subway treatment.

Why do transit (streetcar) "activists" revel in spending less money on transit? It's baffling! Can you imagine health care advocates denouncing a government plan for a big hospital, and celebrating a smaller hospital with lower-end equipment? It just makes no sense?

But then, you hear lines like "Torontonians can't evolve beyond subways" and you realize that this has nothing to do with serving people, nothing to do with using the optimal technology. This is all about a fad, about using the latest, trendiest way to do things. Old streetcar advocates, at least, much surely realize that those are the very arguments that doomed streetcars across North America. "Why can't Toronto evolve past its ancient streetcars to modern buses, or better yet, maglevs and ICTS?"

Gets the subway treatment? You mean, a high speed, high capacity service? You understand, right, that a surface subway and surface streetcar in the same ROW cost almost the same amount, right? The subway, however, can move a lot more people. That's indisputable. This is what absolutely baffles me. Why would a transit advocate want to have less transit??

Then how come so many posters here are acting llike a subway along Dundas Street is canon?

I guess you just misunderstood their posts. Like I said, there've never been any serious official plans. Mississauga has never supported a subway in that corridor. It's always been about the Eglinton/403 corridor, for better or worse. Many individuals, however, would like to see the BD extended to Square One. I'm sure it'd be a well-used service, but I personally prefer introducing an S-Bahn/RER style service on the Milton GO line, and diverting it north to Square One. That provides people with the option of an express ride downtown, or an easy connection to the subway at Kipling.

Routing the subway north to Pearson eliminates far more transit woes (Cloverdale, ECC, ACC, Pearson).

There's nothing much at Cloverdale, but I do support that East Mall extension since it could easily (contrary to what the TTC suggests) be built above ground, and the space for a surface station was offered for free by the developer.

As cost-of-living continues to spike dailyy, you'd be surprised at the number of people who aren't ashamed to use public transit, suitcases and all, to save on pricey taxi or coach bus fare. Instead of building a new rail line from scratch (Blue 22-esque) IMO it's a lot easier to just add on 7 more stations to the existing BD subway and finally get the airport on the mass transit grid.

The simple fact is that people for whom a taxi is to pricey are already riding the Airport Rocket or getting rides from friends. They're not the market that an airport transit service needs to tap. Its potential riders are business travellers who are currently taking taxis to the airport, and tourists who are taking taxis downtown to their hotels. These people are not going to stand on two different subway trains for over an hour with baggage. There are only two options. One is a dedicated airport express service like blue 22, which would be the most successful at attracting people away from cars and cabs, but would not serve non-airport passengers (not necessarily a bad thing) and would not attract the existing Airport Rocket crowd for price reasons. The other alternative is a much-more-frequent (at least every 20 minutes) GO train, probably connecting to an Airport People Mover at Woodbine. The lack of direct service, less comfortable seating, and a lack of dedicated baggage space would mean significantly fewer people diverted from cars and cabs. That's why, ideally, I support the implementation of both, as we've seen in London, for example, and as is under construction in Paris, among other cities. The track improvements accompanying Blue 22 (especially triple- and quad-tracking) could make both services a possibility, and together they would achieve an optimal diversion from roads.

Then build a subway station with open-air simplistic platforms. Nothing about subways defines that stations must be built in one particular way.

Except costs. I happen to believe a "Rosedale" fashioned station with basic access points and no elaborate space required for feeder buses to terminate, is more than adequate. My fear is that we'd see more "Warden" mega-stations if done as subways. I'm thinking more along the lines of ALRV or CLRV vehicles in a private right-of-way, within or on land adjacent to the Weston Galt and Kingston Subdivisions. The streamlined width of vehicles occupies less space than RT75-T1 subway cars and yet can accomodate the same amount of passengers. The vehicles can be articulated (for continous walk-through) and double-decker (for additional seating in the top-level). I'm not sure how that'd work with subway cars.

It really is frustrating how in the minds of many people, what a subway is and how it should be built has become written in stone, but yet what an LRT is has become completely flexible with people molding their vision of LRT to match their wants and desires. I'm waiting for someone to state that we should built LRT because Toronto needs more colour and since LRTs can be colourful but all current Toronto subway trains are silver, LRTs are a better option!

No need for sarcasm. I'm under the impression 10 kms of subway can equally afford 100 kms of light rail. It's the quantitive measure I'm focused with. There's just too many city-wide rapid transit demands for subways to possibly service them all. So long as the DRL alleviates some of the capacity issues on the YUS/BD lines and the downtown streetcar lines, it shouldn't matter what technology accomplishes it.

Guess what... if you're building grade separated lines the light rail will be more expensive to build.

Look, it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with "evolving" or any other such empty catchphrase. It has to do with choosing the technology that provides the needed capacity and the ability to deal with increases in demand in the future. It's about designing a system that creates the shortest, fastest, most convenient trips for the greatest number of people. Once you determine that, THEN you determine the technology.

I've witnessed on the subway infinite periods of overcrowding for a while then a long strech of 3/4 empty trains picking up handfuls of people per station. In spite of this most people say the current subway network is overcapacitated and need of alleviation; hence this proposal. Even if the entire surplus rode the DRL between Pape and Dundas West over BD, it still wouldn't warrant beyond a 90 second headway of LRTs (ICTS, CLRV, ALRV?). At Spadina Stn waiting for the 510 sometimes upto 200 people gather. However by the time one streetcar shows up there's 3 already visibly paused behind. People are only inconvenienced by the duration it takes the vehicles to unload and reload (which is improving to 1 min tops thanks to transit patrol).

Ah. So basically, you want a streetcar trundling down Front Street, a la Spadina. Do you ride the streetcar regularly? I live on the Spadina line at Front, and I have to budget at least 30 minutes to get up to Bloor Street, and even then I'm still late. That's less than 3 km. Do you really think that'll switch anybody from the subway?

I don't think you're paying attention. The line would be completely within the confines of the rail corridor. That's the whole point, to conserve funds from not tunneling. It's only east of the Skydome would the line slip into the building foundations and emerge again at some point east of Yonge (perhaps at Jarvis to serve St Lawrence directly). So at most that's 2 underground stations no more fancy than the QQ Ferry Docks Stn. People needing the CN Tower/Rogers Ctr, Cityplace, the Ex, King West and Liberty Vlgs, Queen/Dufferin condos and the 505/506 at College would use it, whether or not it's a LRT. I'd clock it closer to 15 mins or less (Union to Bloor/Danforth).

Why do transit (streetcar) "activists" revel in spending less money on transit? The subway, however, can move a lot more people. That's indisputable. This is what absolutely baffles me. Why would a transit advocate want to have less transit??

What's more important though, moving more people per trip per capita or moving slightly less but have enough resources leftover to build a larger, more comprehensive system? What will appease the most riders, an underground, high-tech, ultra-modern subway from Roncesvalles to Carlaw or a simplistic, at-grade, open-air LRT from Don-Mills/Lawrence to Weston/Lawrence or from Pape/Danforth to Peasron?

I do indeed want a lot of transit, just everywhere ASAP! We've waited far too long for officials to sign-off on a transit funds windfall, such that by now almost every city ward can claim worthiness. A subway in the downtown might anger Scarborough residents, one there might offend Etobicoke residents. If it's financially impossible to serve them all with new subway lines, why bother? What's the point of $$ First Class, Grade-A subway transit in the rail corridor only to have passengers dumped out onto the same tired innercity bus/streetcar routes renown for long breaks in service? I'd like to see improvements of all kinds. All that matters is that we get something started soon. A LRT can be up and running within 3 years.

While I could be wrong about the technology, at least my heart's definitely in the right place for wanting more mass transit for less time and resources to get into operation.

why, in a midwest city like toronto with 5 million people, are we looking at a place like strasbourg or montpellier as inspiration for our transit modalities? we aren't a small, compact european city. toronto is a big, sprawling, occasionally dense place that has a lot of commuters going from point A to point X. Sheppard ave. will never be an 'Avenue' the the OP sense of the word. Any kind of developments that would occur like that are only going to be contrived and artificial. People move to areas like that for a reason and if they really wanted the walking city street-life of cafés and brasseries, deli-s, etc, thye would have moved to a denser part of town. if we establish transit in these suburban areas, it is for commuting patterns, not local galavanting!
Since when is Toronto a midwest city? Canada doesn't have a midwest! That's like people calling Vancouver a Pacific Northwest city - Vancouver isn't in the northwest of anything. If there's anywhere in Canada that could be called the "Pacific Northwest" it's Prince Rupert.

Toronto is denser than any midwest city except Chicago, and its suburbs are denser than even Chicago's. There are major differences between Toronto and any midwest city. Toronto may not be compact by European standards, but by North American standards it is. I do agree with you that Sheppard will never be an "avenue" though, no matter how much density is built along it. The street pattern, street design, and development patterns around it will never allow it.

I'm thinking more along the lines of ALRV or CLRV vehicles in a private right-of-way, within or on land adjacent to the Weston Galt and Kingston Subdivisions. The streamlined width of vehicles occupies less space than RT75-T1 subway cars and yet can accomodate the same amount of passengers. The vehicles can be articulated (for continous walk-through) and double-decker (for additional seating in the top-level). I'm not sure how that'd work with subway cars.
Dude no offence but you don't know what you're talking about. A single T1 subway car has a crush load of 315, for a six car train that's 1890 people (numbers from Transit Toronto). The new subway trains will be able to carry even more. Crush load of a CLRV: 132. Since light rail vehicles are designed to run on streets, they're just too short and narrow to have the capacity of a subway train.

Dude no offence but you don't know what you're talking about. A single T1 subway car has a crush load of 315, for a six car train that's 1890 people (numbers from Transit Toronto). The new subway trains will be able to carry even more. Crush load of a CLRV: 132. Since light rail vehicles are designed to run on streets, they're just too short and narrow to have the capacity of a subway train.

Dude I just admitted that I'm uncertain of the logistic details. That's why I brought up with the LRT proposal to fish out the answers I seek. I figured since this was an at-grade relief line (designed primarily with the intent of alleviating existing subways) prior conventions of 'subway' needn't apply. Obviously the vehicles wouldn't be exactly alike the CLRVs but modified to accomodate more passengers and other special conditions. According to your own figures at least 792 passengers could fit onto a 3-car, double-decker LRT train. This could run on 90 second intervals w/platforms no more elaborate than Scarborough RT stations.

It's not that I'm against subways as much as I fear they'll try to build it over-the-top expensively; resulting in far too few new stations, proper interchanges, PATH-links or adequate upgrades to surface bus/streetcar service/fleet to get passengers to/from DRL stops. I also heard that it'll be fully incorporated into the BD subway (interlining), which begs the question how could that possibly work? It doesn't really matter to me either way whether it's subway or LRT so long as the financial differential is slim.

I do agree with you that Sheppard will never be an "avenue" though, no matter how much density is built along it. The street pattern, street design, and development patterns around it will never allow it.

The problem with Sheppard and most suburban east-west arterials is that all the density is concentrated around a narrow three block radius of major cross-intersections. Hence, large expanses of land in between either go undeveloped/parkland or remains stuck in a sea of residential housing. The condo boom isn't a full cure since only about one-third of building residents will likely become transit converts. Feeder buses more than anything will determine the full extent of Sheppard's success rate over time.

Except costs. I happen to believe a "Rosedale" fashioned station with basic access points and no elaborate space required for feeder buses to terminate, is more than adequate.

So do we!

My fear is that we'd see more "Warden" mega-stations if done as subways.
I'm thinking more along the lines of ALRV or CLRV vehicles in a private right-of-way, within or on land adjacent to the Weston Galt and Kingston Subdivisions. The streamlined width of
vehicles occupies less space than RT75-T1 subway cars and yet can accomodate the same amount of passengers. The vehicles can be articulated (for continous walk-through) and double-decker (for additional seating in the top-level). I'm not sure how that'd work with subway cars.

How would the "streamlined width" (now there's a euphemism) possibly give these trains the same capacity as a subway? Think about it. Same length but narrower. You measure the capacity of a vehicle by its square footage. That's length times width. Translation: Same length, less width, means less square footage, means lower capacity. Now you actually want double-decker streetcars? Think about this... What you're basically saying is, with streetcars you can do anything, with subway cars, they have to be exactly like Toronto's. They can be articulated so you can walk through? Not for much longer than existing ALRVs, or they can't run on the street. Then, all you've got is a lower-capacity subway car that isn't compatible with the rest of the system. But it's awesome! Because it's called an LRT. And double-decker. Wow. Okay, I guess just because of the magic of LRT, a double-decker LRV can fit through a tunnel, but a double-decker subway car can't.

No need for sarcasm. I'm under the impression 10 kms of subway can equally afford 100 kms of light rail. It's the quantitive measure I'm focused with. There's just too many city-wide rapid transit demands for subways to possibly service them all. So long as the DRL alleviates some of the capacity issues on the YUS/BD lines and the downtown streetcar lines, it shouldn't matter what technology accomplishes it.

Well maybe a ridiculous claim like that isn't what you should be focused on. It's not the magic of LRT that makes a line 10 times less expensive. An LRT on the same alignment will not be 10 times less expensive. It likely won't be significantly less expensive at all. That figure (extremely dubious even for this) comes from comparing a subway in a tunnel to a streetcar running in a private lane on an arterial road.

You have to understand that a better service alleviates more capacity issues. It's not the same. The same number of people are not going to take a DRL LRT in the middle of the street that takes half an hour to do a trip the subway currently does in 10 minutes, as a DRL subway that does that trip in 8 minutes.

I've witnessed on the subway infinite periods of overcrowding for a while then a long strech of 3/4 empty trains picking up handfuls of people per station. In spite of this most people say the current subway network is overcapacitated and need of alleviation; hence this proposal. Even if the entire surplus rode the DRL between Pape and Dundas West over BD, it still wouldn't warrant beyond a 90 second headway of LRTs (ICTS, CLRV, ALRV?). At Spadina Stn waiting for the 510 sometimes upto 200 people gather. However by the time one streetcar shows up there's 3 already visibly paused behind.

You have to understand that that's a bad thing. Four streetcars bunched up isn't a demonstration of the success of wonderful streetcars. It's a demonstration of the complete failure of the TTC to operate any of the LRT lines that it has. They're supposed to operate on a headway, meaning a certain amount of space is supposed to be maintained between each car, so that people at stops can have a reliable wait. As a regular rider, I can assure you there's never a reliable wait on the Spadina car.

People are only inconvenienced by the duration it takes the vehicles to unload and reload (which is improving to 1 min tops thanks to transit patrol).

Do you understand that it's less convenient to ride the Spadina streetcar, which takes 30 minutes to cover a trip the parallel subway does in under 10? You must understand that.

I don't think you're paying attention. The line would be completely within the confines of the rail corridor. That's the whole point, to conserve funds from not tunneling. It's only east of the Skydome would the line slip into the building foundations and emerge again at some point east of Yonge (perhaps at Jarvis to serve St Lawrence directly). So at most that's 2 underground stations no more fancy than the QQ Ferry Docks Stn. People needing the CN Tower/Rogers Ctr, Cityplace, the Ex, King West and Liberty Vlgs, Queen/Dufferin condos and the 505/506 at College would use it, whether or not it's a LRT. I'd clock it closer to 15 mins or less (Union to Bloor/Danforth).

Any route through a rail corridor that LRT takes, subway can take too. They're just two pairs of rails. One just happens to have catenary overhead, the other a pair of third rails. The cost difference is negligible. The reason the subway DRL leaves the rail corridor at certain points is not because it's a subway. It's because the rail corridor route would mean no direct connection with any other rapid transit line, and not serving several important destinations. It would also be impossible, since the rail corridor east of the Don is just not wide enough for CN to give up any of its right of way to a rapid transit line.

What's more important though, moving more people per trip per capita or moving slightly less but have enough resources leftover to build a larger, more comprehensive system? What will appease the most riders, an underground, high-tech, ultra-modern subway from Roncesvalles to Carlaw or a simplistic, at-grade, open-air LRT from Don-Mills/Lawrence to Weston/Lawrence or from Pape/Danforth to Peasron?

Or what about busways to Kenora and Pembroke? Obviously the system that moves more people will make more people "appeased" (Now there's a socialwoe/Dentrobate word for ya). Normal riders do not want a system that is less reliable, and takes more time to cover the same distance as the existing subway. The point is also that an LRT line in the same corridor as the subway costs virtually the same amount. The underground sections of the DRL subway are not because it uses subway technology, but because the rail corridor can't accommodate the line for its entire length, and the line needs to leave the rail corridor in order to serve certain important trip generators.

I do indeed want a lot of transit, just everywhere ASAP! We've waited far too long for officials to sign-off on a transit funds windfall, such that by now almost every city ward can claim worthiness. A subway in the downtown might anger Scarborough residents, one there might offend Etobicoke residents. If it's financially impossible to serve them all with new subway lines, why bother? What's the point of $$ First Class, Grade-A subway transit in the rail corridor only to have passengers dumped out onto the same tired innercity bus/streetcar routes renown for long breaks in service? I'd like to see improvements of all kinds. All that matters is that we get something started soon. A LRT can be up and running within 3 years.

I think maybe we should take an extra year or two and build a system that will last the ages, rather than building some cheap solution a bit quicker.

Dude I just admitted that I'm uncertain of the logistic details. That's why I brought up with the LRT proposal to fish out the answers I seek. I figured since this was an at-grade relief line (designed primarily with the intent of alleviating existing subways) prior conventions of 'subway' needn't apply. Obviously the vehicles wouldn't be exactly alike the CLRVs but modified to accomodate more passengers and other special conditions. According to your own figures at least 792 passengers could fit onto a 3-car, double-decker LRT train. This could run on 90 second intervals w/platforms no more elaborate than Scarborough RT stations.

It's absolutely impossible to build the DRL without tunnelling. That means that you're going to have to build tunnels even wider than subway tunnels in order to accommodate double-decker LRTs. That's going to make it more expensive than a comparable subway, not less.

It's not that I'm against subways as much as I fear they'll try to build it over-the-top expensively; resulting in far too few new stations, proper interchanges, PATH-links or adequate upgrades to surface bus/streetcar service/fleet to get passengers to/from DRL stops. I also heard that it'll be fully incorporated into the BD subway (interlining), which begs the question how could that possibly work? It doesn't really matter to me either way whether it's subway or LRT so long as the financial differential is slim.

Don't worry. It's not going to be interlined. Get that out of your head. It's not going to happen. There's no reason why subway has to be overbuilt or expensive. That's why the DRL is so great. It's only underground when being underground brings significant benefits. Those surface subway stations can and should be just as simple as RT stations, as you've said. Some underground stations would obviously need to be elaborate, like Union, because of the very high use they would see, but that would be the case regardless of the technology if you want the system to operate properly.

While I could be wrong about the technology, at least my heart's definitely in the right place for wanting more mass transit for less time and resources to get into operation.

Yes, your heart's in the right place for wanting more transit. You just have to understand that all transit technologies aren't the same. I could say I don't want any LRT, I want five times as many buses. You don't think that's a good idea, do you? You see, more miles or more lines on a map isn't necessarily the be-all and end-all of transit. Lines on a map don't move people. Trains and buses do. And if those trains and buses are slow and unreliable, people aren't going to ride them no matter how many there are. Also, people's trips, especially out in the suburbs, don't tend to be only on one route. That means that someone going from, say, UTSC to Downtown would benefit from a subway extension to Scarborough Centre even though that subway extension doesn't directly serve either their origin or destination point. That's because the extension would provide a significantly quicker ride on a portion of the route that they will be travelling. Likewise, an LRT on Morningside that "serves" UTSC would not benefit a UTSC student who wants to go shopping at Town Centre. They would still be taking the same 38 bus, because that's not the way the LRT goes. Even though they're "served" by LRT, they're not getting any benefit from it. You see? Planning transit is more than just quantity of lines on a map. You have to look at where the largest numbers of people are actually going, what routes they might be taking, and how long it takes them to get there.

The city has been taken over by a group of people who have such intense ideological blinders that they feel that LRT, and only LRT, can magically solve all our city's problems. It's just simply false. There are places where LRT makes sense, places where buses make sense, and, yes, places where subway makes sense (and that's not just York Region). Ideology and trendiness in transit is absolutely the wrong way to go. That's what got streetcar routes abandoned in the first place, and got us orphan technologies like the RT. Take a dispassionate look. One technology will not solve our problems.

There's still several points you haven't dealt with.

How would you fit your line in the Kingston Sub ROW? There's no space left, it's already full with only 3 GO/VIA tracks.

If the line is completely grade separated, why is it better to run it with LRT? You state that it would need a 90-second frequency from day one, which is essentially the maximum headway any rail line can run at. So it would be crowded from day one. And if it is grade separated, how still would an LRT be cheaper? When the DRL was studied in the 80s, it was determined that the capacity of ICTS would be insufficient to meet the demand of the line, and development and demand on the corridor is even higher today. What basis do you have to believe that those professionals were wrong?

Why can't subway stations be as elaborate as Scarborough RT stations? There's nothing about the technology used that defines how elaborate the stations serving it must be. Some stations on the Ottawa busway are as elaborate as Warden, and it's only served by buses!

What are these double-decker light rail? Seriously... you're saying that it would be superior to get vehicles that have to be specially designed for Toronto and would require larger tunnels, but you still think it would be cheaper than a subway? It would have long loading and unloading times (making reliable 90-second frequencies impossible) due to the stairs. And for that matter, why not a double-decker subway train?

Subways are most certainly not 10 times as expensive as LRT as a rule. Subtracting the 26% padding, the Spadina extension is only 5 times as much per km as the Finch West LRT, and that includes being tunnelled the whole way. A DRL could probably compare even more favourably per km with a tunnelled Eglinton LRT. If you're going to base your entire argument on the relative cost of projects, don't invent numbers. Every cost saving measure that could be employed on LRT lines could also be employed on subway lines, such as simple outdoor stations.

No one is saying subways should be built everywhere. No one! Transit City says LRT should be built everywhere, though, no matter how obscenely expensive it is or how few riders the lines may carry - or, in other cases, how crowded the lines may be.

It does matter what technology we use if a line has the potential to be as well-used as something like the DRL...why on earth would you wish a line to be an at or beyond crush load capacity LRT just so that you can say "Told you so, LRT can handle these riders"?

What North American city has a heavy rail rapid transit system that has more ridership per km than Toronto? Only Mexico City. If our subway trains were running empty (or at least no so damn overcrowded) then I might understand this obsession with LRT, but otherwise it doesn't make sense.

I really don't understand it either. Toronto has had a subway-building deficit for so many years that people think it can't be done again, and that if we do, it'll end up like Sheppard (no offense to Sheppard, it's not its fault it only got half-built). Well that and the fact that Sheppard only got built due to prodding from Lastman, leaving poor Eglinton subwayless. There is a significant amount of support for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT on this board, and even my poll showed less support for subway on that line than the others (alhtough a majority still supported subway). But since Eglinton was planned to be a subway, shouldn't we ensure that it's built as a subway?

I think Toronto really needs to take a good long look at itself and decide where and if LRT is acceptable. Because right now, a lot of the routes don't make sense (Sheppard East LRT, Eglinton Crosstown LRT, I'm looking at you). And keeping the SRT doesn't make sense either.

Personally I find it very frustrating that these plans aren't made with the consideration of the rider. No rider wants an extra transfer, yet Transit/Transfer City is implementing exactly that.

Excellent, excellent points, CC. My personal opinion is that LRT is a good and useful mode. All the new intra-905 routes are perfectly suited to LRT, like Hurontario. Finch West, Jane, and Waterfront West (connecting to a DRL) are also good LRT routes. I might also look at a couple of other spots, like Bathurst or maybe Kipling. Subway is best suited to other corridors. Sheppard is already half built, and it's a busy corridor connecting the two main suburban centres that's already dense and is seeing significant intensification. Replacing the RT with a subway is blindingly obvious, since it'd eliminate the useless Kennedy transfer, saving people time and inconvenience, and the RT needs to be replaced or rebuilt anyway. This would mean that all of the major development centres in the official plan are directly connected by subway, an absolute bare minimum backbone network. The third obvious spot for a subway is downtown, where the subway infrastructure is at capacity, crosstown streetcars are too slow for long trips, and an economical corridor exists that serves many of the major new development zones.

Well maybe a ridiculous claim like that isn't what you should be focused on. It's not the magic of LRT that makes a line 10 times less expensive. An LRT on the same alignment will not be 10 times less expensive. It likely won't be significantly less expensive at all. That figure (extremely dubious even for this) comes from comparing a subway in a tunnel to a streetcar running in a private lane on an arterial road.

The magic of LRT? Belittling much! The rail corridor is such that any line, be it LRT or subway, can be 85% above ground, at pennies on the dollar construction. The tunnel aspect is the big kahunas I'm advocating against... $333, 000, 000 per kilometre :eek:. Nuff said!

You have to understand that a better service alleviates more capacity issues. It's not the same. The same number of people are not going to take a DRL LRT in the middle of the street that takes half an hour to do a trip the subway currently does in 10 minutes, as a DRL subway that does that trip in 8 minutes.

I never said a LRT should run down the median of a roadway. It'd be juxtapositioned within the Weston Galt/Kingston Subdivisions. The primary customer base of this line shouldn't be Point A-B riders; but rather those who genuinely need Queen & Dovercourt, Shaw & King, CNE/Ontario Place, Island Airport, Skydome/CN Tower, St Lawrence Market and so on. People can already get to downtown express from the suburbs via the GO network. Why replicate the same service?

You have to understand that that's a bad thing. Four streetcars bunched up isn't a demonstration of the success of wonderful streetcars. It's a demonstration of the complete failure of the TTC to operate any of the LRT lines that it has. They're supposed to operate on a headway, meaning a certain amount of space is supposed to be maintained between each car, so that people at stops can have a reliable wait. As a regular rider, I can assure you there's never a reliable wait on the Spadina car.

I have little faith in the TTC's route scheduling myself. I'm put more at ease seeing the bus/streetcar down the pike ahead of time. As such I let the panic people smother themselves onto the first streetcar and await the following one, more roomier and relaxed. That I'm being inconvenienced by a few seconds missing that first overcrowded, boxed-in streetcar doesn't phase me much.

Do you understand that it's less convenient to ride the Spadina streetcar, which takes 30 minutes to cover a trip the parallel subway does in under 10? You must understand that.

No one is riding the 510 Spadina for an alternative to Spadina (BD) from Union. I'm embarassed for you, that you thought up that analogy to justify your claims. The waterfront section alone takes the same duration of time to cover as the subway ride. The 510, like any essential surface route covers the areas subways can't- namely major crowd catchments like the Central Waterfront, Queen West, Chinatown and U of T.

Any route through a rail corridor that LRT takes, subway can take too. They're just two pairs of rails. One just happens to have catenary overhead, the other a pair of third rails. The cost difference is negligible. The reason the subway DRL leaves the rail corridor at certain points is not because it's a subway. It's because the rail corridor route would mean no direct connection with any other rapid transit line, and not serving several important destinations. It would also be impossible, since the rail corridor east of the Don is just not wide enough for CN to give up any of its right of way to a rapid transit line.

The rail corridor indeed lacks adequate accessibility. For that it's a shame there isn't more innercity subways. However that ships sailed.

I think maybe we should take an extra year or two and build a system that will last the ages, rather than building some cheap solution a bit quicker.

2018 is still a long years off. Many things can happen between now and then concerning which technology's ultimately chosen. Your saying that 100% guaranteed it'll definitely be a subway, doesn't make it canon.

It's absolutely impossible to build the DRL without tunnelling. That means that you're going to have to build tunnels even wider than subway tunnels in order to accommodate double-decker LRTs. That's going to make it more expensive than a comparable subway, not less.

There you admit it. This is going to balloon into some 10-figure transit fiasco where the station walls are paved in gold, meanwhile the BD line deteriorates and vehicles slowly come to be outmoded again. In all seriousness though you must understand where the skepticism is coming from. Subway priorities since the 1970s have left a lot to be desired and with an area as major as the downtown core we can't mess this up. If we're stuck with another dud like the Sheppard Stubway or Scarborough RT there's little to no chance of another subway approval in the CBD for many decades off.

Yes, your heart's in the right place for wanting more transit. You just have to understand that all transit technologies aren't the same. I could say I don't want any LRT, I want five times as many buses. You don't think that's a good idea, do you?

Yes I understand that the cost recovery ratio on underused subways like the Sheppard Line is very low. That the more advanced the technology, the higher maintenence and operational costs will be. Buses are bare basics and can be adapted to any area. Successively LRTs follow suit with lower technical demands required for them as opposed to heavy subway vehicles. I think the subway fanatics are being far more sanctimonious in their views than I'm being suggesting LRTs are worth an examination if not for any other reason that they'd be up and running faster.

You see, more miles or more lines on a map isn't necessarily the be-all and end-all of transit. Lines on a map don't move people. Trains and buses do. And if those trains and buses are slow and unreliable, people aren't going to ride them no matter how many there are.

Unfortunately most transit riders don't have an alternative to slow and unreliable trains and buses because that's all there bloody is. Lives are being scheduled according to when routes arrive and depart. As such public transit is becoming less appealing to cars. Lines on a map is a callous remark. The BD line would never have gone beyond Keele or Woodbine if transit use at the time was the only criterion being considered.

Also, people's trips, especially out in the suburbs, don't tend to be only on one route. That means that someone going from, say, UTSC to Downtown would benefit from a subway extension to Scarborough Centre even though that subway extension doesn't directly serve either their origin or destination point. That's because the extension would provide a significantly quicker ride on a portion of the route that they will be travelling.

Or they could receive an even quicker service by just extending the 116E service all-day. It's just 25 minutes from UTSC to Kennedy on it and it doesn't involve climbing/descending several flights of stairs at the Town Centre. Given that the 38 bus takes 20 mins to get to STC, you more than break even.

Likewise, an LRT on Morningside that "serves" UTSC would not benefit a UTSC student who wants to go shopping at Town Centre. They would still be taking the same 38 bus, because that's not the way the LRT goes. Even though they're "served" by LRT, they're not getting any benefit from it. You see? Planning transit is more than just quantity of lines on a map. You have to look at where the largest numbers of people are actually going, what routes they might be taking, and how long it takes them to get there.

But how many of those students actually care to shop at STC? They could easily enough support local businessowners in Morningside Mall or Cedarbrae or Markington Square, all on the TC catchment. Maybe more students could get to the Yonge line faster via Eglinton-Crosstown rather than via 38+ extended BD? Even if the latter gets them further south, it wouldn't matter because they'd already have been on the YUS line direct from Eglinton via the LRT.

UTSC could be served directly by the Morningside LRT provided it becomes its own ROW at some point around 365 Morningside Ave, splintering off the roadway at the bridge and tunneling underneath the Humanities Wing to a station smack in the middle of the campus, accessible by most academic wings.

The city has been taken over by a group of people who have such intense ideological blinders that they feel that LRT, and only LRT, can magically solve all our city's problems. It's just simply false. There are places where LRT makes sense, places where buses make sense, and, yes, places where subway makes sense (and that's not just York Region). Ideology and trendiness in transit is absolutely the wrong way to go. That's what got streetcar routes abandoned in the first place, and got us orphan technologies like the RT. Take a dispassionate look. One technology will not solve our problems.

Well don't consider me one of those people. I wholeheartedly agree it takes a combination of BRT, LRT and subway to adequately serve this city.

There is a significant amount of support for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT on this board, and even my poll showed less support for subway on that line than the others (alhtough a majority still supported subway). But since Eglinton was planned to be a subway, shouldn't we ensure that it's built as a subway?

It should be a subway from Pearson to UTSC, perhaps via a mixture of underground and at-grade/elevated sections.

I never said a LRT should run down the median of a roadway. It'd be juxtapositioned within the Weston Galt/Kingston Subdivisions.

It should be a subway from Pearson to UTSC, perhaps via a mixture of underground and at-grade/elevated sections.

I was already 100% sure that dentrosocialbatewoe had returned, but now I'm 1000% sure.

Cedarbrae isn't on the Transit City grid...Lawrence East would make a lot of sense as an LRT line, though.

UTSC just isn't that big...York U is at 5 least times larger, and even Seneca and Humber have quite a few more students. A subway line to UTSC would not be well-used.

The magic of LRT? Belittling much! The rail corridor is such that any line, be it LRT or subway, can be 85% above ground, at pennies on the dollar construction. The tunnel aspect is the big kahunas I'm advocating against... $333, 000, 000 per kilometre :eek:. Nuff said!

That's a ridiculous figure, and there's no reason tunnelling has to be that expensive. There just simply isn't. I've discussed in another thread how the TTC vastly inflates the cost of subway projects. Beyond that, you have to tunnel to get the benefits of the DRL. They studied the all-rail corridor route, and dismissed it because it offers no direct connection to other subway lines downtown, and is too far from the major trip generators along the line. The DRL is a perfect compromise between the economy of the rail corridor, and the convenience of a tunnelled route.

No one is riding the 510 Spadina for an alternative to Spadina (BD) from Union. I'm embarassed for you, that you thought up that analogy to justify your claims. The waterfront section alone takes the same duration of time to cover as the subway ride. The 510, like any essential surface route covers the areas subways can't- namely major crowd catchments like the Central Waterfront, Queen West, Chinatown and U of T.

Thanks socialwoe, for both missing the point and telling me how I ride transit. First of all, the whole point is to show how much slower the Light Rail is than the subway. Secondly, I do ride Spadina all the time from Front to Bloor, and even more frequently from Front to Harbord or Sussex to go to U of T. It's a pretty terrible trip. I have to budget at least 30 minutes, and I'm still often late.

2018 is still a long years off. Many things can happen between now and then concerning which technology's ultimately chosen. Your saying that 100% guaranteed it'll definitely be a subway, doesn't make it canon.

Canon? I think you read a little too much sci fi. Anyway, a whole group of us are strongly advocating that the DRL be built as soon as possible, with the subway technology. Nothing is "canon" right now, because there's no official planning for a DRL going on right now. If there were, I suspect it would probably be LRT, but that's what we're trying to change. Join us!

Or they could receive an even quicker service by just extending the 116E service all-day. It's just 25 minutes from UTSC to Kennedy on it and it doesn't involve climbing/descending several flights of stairs at the Town Centre. Given that the 38 bus takes 20 mins to get to STC, you more than break even.

Completely agree. Great idea.

The rest of this stuff isn't really worth a response. Mods, since this is obviously socialwoe, isn't there some kind of rule against re-joining after you've been banned?

Back