News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Which transit plan do you prefer?

• Transit City

Votes: 95 79.2%
  • Ford City

Votes: 25 20.8%

• Total voters
It could be very interesting to watch potential Miller opponents flesh out their transit policies over the next year. Will they push for a larger overall capital investment in transit, which subways would require? How might they convince the province and feds to come up with this cash, when all governments are facing severe financial constraints? Based on past performance, I don't expect suburban residents to approve of higher taxes or greater debt loads.
What financial constraints? Considering the massive deficit spending by the Feds and the Province in the past number of months, the time to strike for that funding is now (if it hasn't passed already). Sure, it would take lobbying and sweet-talking, but can you imagine all the photo-ops for Harper and/or McGuinty in announcing sustained funding for a long-term subway expansion? There would be press conferences and ground-breaking ceremonies up the wazoo, and political capital to be gained.

Unfortunately, Miller and Giambrone were very astute in getting Harper's government to contribute stimulus money to their number one priority -- the Sheppard LRT, thus killing subway expansion in Toronto (unless, of course, it's the kind driven by York Region), and propping up their beloved Transit City. I'm not sure what Harper thinks he'll get out of it, but Miller and Giambrone must have been laughing all the way home.

Frankly, I'm not convinced Miller will lose next year, so any push for more capital investment in transit (or even altering current spending) is far from a sure thing.

Unfortunately, Miller and Giambrone were very astute in getting Harper's government to contribute stimulus money to their number one priority -- the Sheppard LRT

Sheppard is not funded by stimulus money. That was from the Building Canada Fund with the province covering the cities third.

Will the new LRTs affect AM radio reception like the trolley cars do?

IMO, the best thing to listen to on AM radio is the interference the streetcar wires overhead create. in fact, i have tuned in just to have a listen.

Only if you're driving in the LRT lane...
I get AM interference with the current system, even when I'm not in the LRT lane - I can't imagine the new lines would be any different. What currently happens on Queens Quay and Spadina ... I don't normally drive down those.

I find it amusing that (judging by some of the posts here) many people are too foolish to listen to the AM radio traffic reports while driving because of some bizarre disdain of AM.

I get AM interference with the current system, even when I'm not in the LRT lane - I can't imagine the new lines would be any different. What currently happens on Queens Quay and Spadina ... I don't normally drive down those.
I get interference on Spadina and Queens Quay.

Hey, the more people who don't listen to traffic reports the better; makes it easier for those who do listen to them, to avoid the traffic jams.

Back